Better longer distance vs close distance

This is a discussion on Better longer distance vs close distance within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the past few years, I'm finding I'm better at longer distances than shorter. To clarify, this is not the case anything up to say ...

Thread: Better longer distance vs close distance

Better longer distance vs close distance

In the past few years, I'm finding I'm better at longer distances than shorter. To clarify, this is not the case anything up to say 21 feet. But definitely somewhere between 33 feet to 99 feet, I find I get more accurate the farther down range. This also happens when I shoot a rifle. I'm better at 100 yards than I am at 50 yards.

Now naturally, there is a point that I'm far less accurate the greater the range. However, I find after the first shot, I'm better than some / most at placing that 2nd round on target at long distances.

Does anyone else do this?

Here are a few thought I have, and would not mind hearing from others.

* The ballistics / trajectory of the round vs how my sights are set.

* Just how my vision works.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I'm no rocket scientist. But it makes absolutely no sense that you shoot better at long distance than short.

I suppose there are a couple of factors that would cause such a supposed phenomenon.

1. You are using a different (perhaps instinctive or quicker) shooting style short than you use long distance.

2. You can't see at distances under 50 feet or whatever the case may be.

Assuming that you use the same style and speed your shooting errors will be magnified as distance increases. Simple science, I do believe.

AND - Assuming you can see see the target at both distances, you still focus on the front and back sights the same. The errors in lining up the sights with the target and holding them there through the trigger squeeze will still be magnified as distances increase.

Not doubting your word concerning your apparent experience - just sharing my 2 cents worth.

P.S. - ballistics would only cause your groups to be different in relationship with the bull's eye. They would not change the groups size themselves IMO.
    Last edited by Marvin Knox; September 2nd, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    I'm no rocket scientist. But it makes absolutely no sense that you shoot better at long distance than short.

I suppose there are a couple of factors that would cause such a supposed phenomenon.

1. You are using a different (perhaps instinctive or quicker) shooting style short than you use long distance.

2. You can't see at distances under 50 feet or whatever the case may be.

Assuming that you use the same style and speed your shooting errors will be magnified as distance increases. Simple science, I do believe.

AND - Assuming you can see see the target at both distances, you still focus on the front and back sights the same. The errors in lining up the sights with the target and holding them there through the trigger squeeze will still be magnified as distances increase.

Not doubting your word concerning your apparent experience - just sharing my 2 cents worth.

P.S. - ballistics would only cause your groups to be different in relationship with the bull's eye. They would not change the groups size themselves IMO.

Ya,.. What he said..... Just don't make any sense at all,... I cannot believe you can shoot a tighter group at 99 yards then under 21 feet,..

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanis get an eye exam, if what I think is happening is happening then you will have one eye extremely nearsighted the other extremely farsighted. Its something do to your ability to focus both close and far, it allows you to focus more easily and quickly in a certain range.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Have you had your eyes checked lately ?

Maybe you just concentrate more for the longer shots.

PS- I'm not stating I have tighter groups at distance. Compared to others, my groups are good close in, average to a little below average midrange, but above average (good) at a distance. Might have nothing to do with eye sight.

I go to the eye doctor once a year. I did have an eye injury when I was 12. Took a while but recovered to 20/20. For the most part, each eye has around the same prescription, it is slightly different, but no more then anyone else (I've been told most everyone has different vision in each eye).

Only side effect from the injury is colors are slightly different. Injured eye sees things a little (very small difference) darker.

As I have become older, the prescription is very slight, and I'm slightly nearsighted. I always wear my glasses or shooting (safety) glasses when I shoot. No difference between with or without glasses. The only time I need glasses is when I drive. I always wear them outside the house or when working on a project just as added protection.

I also wear my glasses when I hunt. I can zero in on a target without the glasses. However without the glasses, at distances, I can't scan very well as you would want (so camouflage would work well on me). I have noticed when hunting I'll take my glasses off (or set them on my nose) sometimes when I'm looking for motion.

I have asked the opthamologist, he just said it is how I see. Hope to hear from one who has had this problem or might kmow someone who figured it out.

I see how my statement of more accurate was not written well. I should have clarified in OP.
    Last edited by Thanis; September 4th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
    NRA Member

One thing about it - they say the average gun buff like us is a much much better shot than the average bad guy.

Assuming that's true, you could back off to a good distance and capitalize on your skills. (Not a bad idea for any of us.)

A bad guy likely hasn't busted a target at 10 yards or so in his life. You, on the other hand, could drill him dead center all day long.

TOF
    There is a tendency to cut a finer bead on smaller targets. A given size target will appear smaller with distance. You need to use different size targets when shooting at different distances for relative characteristics to be comparable.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

I'm nearsighted and I guess at the point of needing bifocals and learning how to aim all over again. As for right now with contacts in I can see targets amazingly well but my sights are just a blurry shape. With my contacts out my sights are in perfect focus but I can't see the target well.

Thanis
    I believe what may be happening to you is since you are a good shot you don't concentrate enough at close targets. I had this problem with archery gear. Close shots were a gimme so I didn't try hard. Distant shots were a lot harder so I would really bare down.
    After I decided to break this bad habit I developed another habit...target panic. I can't explain it but I could not hold on the center of the target, my mind just would not allow my arm to stop on target. So I developed a unique style of intentional movement and releasing at the proper time for the hit. It is all still strange to me but I went undefeated in tournaments for a year using that method.
    I hope neither of these problems are yours. But only you know the answer. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    Thanis
    I believe what may be happening to you is since you are a good shot you don't concentrate enough at close targets. I had this problem with archery gear. Close shots were a gimme so I didn't try hard. Distant shots were a lot harder so I would really bare down.
    After I decided to break this bad habit I developed another habit...target panic. I can't explain it but I could not hold on the center of the target, my mind just would not allow my arm to stop on target. So I developed a unique style of intentional movement and releasing at the proper time for the hit. It is all still strange to me but I went undefeated in tournaments for a year using that method.
    I hope neither of these problems are yours. But only you know the answer. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the reply. Odd you state this. With close targets (21 feet or less) I try to hold the firearm really steady. I'm not 100% sure what I do mid-range (where I'm having the problem). For distance shots, I pretty sure I do a little intentional movement then in an instant hold, keep steady, then fire.

Maybe I'm not being constant in style with the midrange.
    NRA Member

Links