Ammo for my G27?

Ammo for my G27?

This is a discussion on Ammo for my G27? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm trying to find the best ammo for my G27. I use it for CC and want a .40 round that has good stopping power. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for my G27?

Ammo for my G27?

I'm trying to find the best ammo for my G27. I use it for CC and want a .40 round that has good stopping power. I want to stay away from piercing, because if I ever need to use it, I don't want to put too much thought on what's behind the target. I like hollowpoints and use Buffalo Bore .40 +P. I don't care much about the price as they will be just for defensive ammo. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    H&K USP .45 compact
    Glock 27
    Ruger LCP (she's so cute!)

Any of the name-brand SD ammo is good. You pick the one that works with your gun 100 percent of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutnmuffinz View Post
    I want to stay away from piercing, because if I ever need to use it, I don't want to put too much thought on what's behind the target.
    That's a very bad way to think. You ALWAYS want to be aware of what's behind the target. That's one of the four cardinal rules of shooting safety.

I don't know what you mean by "piercing". Most all ammo will pierce the average wall, car body, door, etc., but the vast majority of the SD HP rounds will stop in a body and not be a through-and-through unless you have lousy shot placement.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutnmuffinz View Post
    I'm trying to find the best ammo for my G27. I use it for CC and want a .40 round that has good stopping power. I want to stay away from piercing, because if I ever need to use it, I don't want to put too much thought on what's behind the target. I like hollowpoints and use Buffalo Bore .40 +P. I don't care much about the price as they will be just for defensive ammo. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Totally incorrect way to think!!! You always want to be aware of what's behind your target!!!

Any good reliable hollow point that feeds well in your 27 will work just fine. I carry Rem Golden Saber 180gr in mine.
    Proud NRA member

I'm a big fan of hydro shocks. I use them in my G27 and have never any feed problems.

As stated above, most SD rounds will work in a Glock.

Good luck.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Competition in the gun and ammo markets is such that self defense ammo from any of the major ammo makers should work well for you. They all want your money and they all put out a good product. Is Buffalo Bore a major maker? I don't know what your definition of "major" is. I like Federal EFMJ in my .45 acp, and Speer Gold Dot in my revolvers, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Many times when someone asks for advice on the "best" of anything, you will get a wide variety of replies. Most will tell you what they carry, but how many have used that particular load to defend themselves? You will get a lot of statistics on ballistics and theory, but that is only helpful if you are attacked by a blob of ballistic Jell-o.

Who uses pistols for self defense, and does actual research on proven field experience on stopping power? Many police departments rely on FBI testing and research on actual shootings. Some of the larger departments do their own testing and research.

It may be worth while to see what your local cops are carrying, and why.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

As others have said, you need to be aware of your target, and what is beyond it.

I knew one LEO that was killed because the other officer violated this safety rule. I didn't know him well, only met him once. As far as which bullet to select, I'd be inclined to not use a +P anything in .40 S&W unless you know you will be dealing with barriers. If barriers are an issue Bonded bullets would be better IMHO.

I like what Evan Marshall says about the .40 S&W. "It's hard to find a bad bullet in 40." Translated that means that most of the 155, 165 and 180 grain JHP's will work well. Some will just work a little better than others.

Biker

My personal choice is Winchester 165 gr T-series. It has worked well on diff targets and situations.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My G23 and G27 are stoked with 165gr Remington Golden Sabers right now.

I think the original poster meant he didn't want to worry about over penetration. +1 on the Golden Sabers if you want HP. I just looked in the 27 I'm wearing and it's full of CCIs. My main and only concern is the loud pop I get everytime I hit the bang switch (along with regular shooting sessions to insure I can hit exactly what I'm shooting at!)
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

I carry the W-W 155 Silvertips in my 27 unless I can't get them in which case I go with Speer 165 GoldDots. I had read a report (might have been FBI) that stated the Silvertips had the most reported "one shot stops". Not meaning the person hit the ground dead but that one hit stopped the fight, broke off the attack, ended the flight etc. were the types of statements made IIRC. This info is some 8 years old now but I believe this round is still quite popular with LEO's especially those carrying compact guns. IMO the 180 is too slow in the 27 and recoil slows coming back on target. At the lower velocity from the 27 and higher SD of the 180 the probability of over penetration goes up.

I carry the Federal 165g HST's in my G27. At work I'm issued Gold Dot's.

Hey, you're carrying a Glock in 40 cal. That you've already got right!

1 of the top rated rounds are the corbon DPX barns
    CORBON << DPX >>

this is 1 i shot out of my G27

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    YouTube - AT1 - .45 ACP - Magtech Guardian Gold 230 Gr +P JHP

Found this guy on Youtube that does a lot of different ammo testing. This will let you see the comparison of various types of defensive ammo.
    Proud NRA member

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    IMO the 180 is too slow in the 27 and recoil slows coming back on target. At the lower velocity from the 27 and higher SD of the 180 the probability of over penetration goes up.
    Out of my old 27, all the 180s I tested averaged between 940 and 1,030. Even WWB and UMC. That's in the ballpark for most 4+" barrels with standard rifling. They expanded just fine, too. I also found recoil to be a bit milder with 180s over hotter 155s. I like the silvertips as well until the price of them skyrocketed.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'm shooting Gold dots right now but I have some Winchester Rangers on order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links