.357 Snubby...Whats your carry round?

This is a discussion on .357 Snubby...Whats your carry round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always 125 grain 357 mag Gold Dots....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .357 Snubby...Whats your carry round?

Always 125 grain 357 mag Gold Dots.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

2. Remove Ads

Right now I am carrying 125 grain Gold Dots, but I am considering a switch to a heavier bullet, not sure which one yet.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Winchester 145 gr ST.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    I keep two .38 spcl +p glassers in my k frame model 66 followed by 125 gr. rem Gold saber and a speedloader of gold saber and another speedloader 130 gr. low recoil hydroshoks. The glassers are used for in house only and get replaced if I carry this gun.

Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr. for snubbys.

If we know that snubbys diminish the power of a given .357 round, why go even weaker by starting out with a .38?
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

158 gr LHP +P

Double Tap 125 gr. .357 Magnum Bonded Defense....

Lot of power, not for the faint of heart.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Federal 125 grain +P Nyclad LSWHP (P38N)
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Speer Gold Dot, 135 gr. for snubbys.

If we know that snubbys diminish the power of a given .357 round, why go even weaker by starting out with a .38?
    It's my understanding that the GD projectile expands more reliably at the lower velocities of the 38+ load than it does from the 357 speeds. Faster is not always better when it comes to the engineering of a modern JHP bullet.

Also, AFAIK, the 357 load is 125 gr, while the 38 load is 135.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Usually, full-power 125-grain JHP, formerly the Federal silver-box load they termed "Classic" for many years, which I used in my bigger .357 sixguns. I think that one was re-named, and seems unavailable lately around here, so I have taken to using the Winchester 145-grain Silvertips that I favor in my 4" Speed Six. The STHP is a slightly milder-pressure load which shoots better to point of aim in my 4" fixed-sight guns.

Just to be clear, those full-pressure 125s are NOT what I would choose if I carried a J-frame .357! The SP101's factory grip fits my not-so-large hands quite well, which mitigates recoil. J-frames tend to concentrate recoil in the base joint of my thumb.

I anticipate going with a less-vigorous load in the near future, possibly the Speer Short-Barrel 135. My old hands are getting skinnier as I age.

Edited to add: I don't really consider the 3" GP100 in my avatar to be a snubby, for purposes of this discussion. Yes, those are indeed factory adjustable sights.

.38 Special (+P) 129 gr Hydra-Shok JHP for my S&W 637
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Humm ... I'm carrying 135 grain Speer GDHP in .357 magnum with my 649 Bodyguard ... I just double checked the box. I've also carried the CorBon 110 grain JHP round or 125 grain Remington Golden Sabre in my J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    Humm ... I'm carrying 135 grain Speer GDHP in .357 magnum with my 649 Bodyguard ... I just double checked the box. I've also carried the CorBon 110 grain JHP round or 125 grain Remington Golden Sabre in my J frame.
    Yep. I stand corrected.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I don't mean to be insulting, and I apologize if anyone is offended, BUT, either people have difficulty reading or just lack simple common sense when posting replies on a forum. If this thread is kind enough to continue, please allow me to re-ask the question in a more simplistic way, MAYBE then it will be understood? New question..357 SNUBBY...WHAT .357 ROUND IS YOUR CARRY ROUND IN YOUR .357 CARRY GUN? I am asking about the .357 magnum round, in a .357 magnum snubby revolver. I'm not asking anything about anything .38 spl., JUST .357 MAGNUM! And, IMO, one who will shootONLY .38 spl. and buys a .357 to shoot them in, isn't too smart.There is a GOOD REASON why they make .38 spl. revolvers, could it be to shoot .38 spl. ONLY bullets? I'm not interested in what round someone practices with either, IMO, you should always practice with the same ammo(at least the same caliber) that you will carry for SD. Again IMO, it's not only ridiculous, but also unwise to practice with .357 if your going to carry .38 spl. as it is to practice with .38 spl. and carry .357. I hope the replies will continue, however , in relation to .357 rounds & .357 revolver only, nothing .38 spl. Thanks, I hope.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I don't mean to be insulting, and I apologize if anyone is offended, BUT, either people have difficulty reading or just lack simple common sense when posting replies on a forum. If this thread is kind enough to continue, please allow me to re-ask the question in a more simplistic way, MAYBE then it will be understood? New question..357 SNUBBY...WHAT .357 ROUND IS YOUR CARRY ROUND IN YOUR .357 CARRY GUN? I am asking about the .357 magnum round, in a .357 magnum snubby revolver. I'm not asking anything about anything .38 spl., JUST .357 MAGNUM! And, IMO, one who will shootONLY .38 spl. and buys a .357 to shoot them in, isn't too smart.There is a GOOD REASON why they make .38 spl. revolvers, could it be to shoot .38 spl. ONLY bullets? I'm not interested in what round someone practices with either, IMO, you should always practice with the same ammo(at least the same caliber) that you will carry for SD. Again IMO, it's not only ridiculous, but also unwise to practice with .357 if your going to carry .38 spl. as it is to practice with .38 spl. and carry .357. I hope the replies will continue, however , in relation to .357 rounds & .357 revolver only, nothing .38 spl. Thanks, I hope.
    I don't mean to be insulting, but your original post did not specify .357 magnum ammo, nor clearly indicate that you use magnum ammo yourself. You may or may not have clarified that point in a later post, but not everyone reads every post, when their intent is to reply to the original topic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links