.357 Snubby...Whats your carry round?

This is a discussion on .357 Snubby...Whats your carry round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bart Mine is the 158 gr. Hydra-Shok. Here is your original post, just to be clear on this....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .357 Snubby...Whats your carry round?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Mine is the 158 gr. Hydra-Shok.
    Here is your original post, just to be clear on this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    135 Gr Speer Gold Dot for short barrels
    +1 That's what I carry!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Here is your original post, just to be clear on this.
    To be even more clear it says .357 snubby. And again that's where the common sense comes in....357 gun=.357 ammo. You stress my point.

Double Tap or Speer Gold Dot 158gr 357's.

I don't mean to be insulting, and I apologize if anyone is offended, BUT, either people have difficulty reading or just lack simple common sense when posting replies on a forum. If this thread is kind enough to continue, please allow me to re-ask the question in a more simplistic way, MAYBE then it will be understood?
    The title of the thread is ".357 Snubby...Whats your carry round?" - .357 Snubby, being a slang for a short-barreled revolver chambered for .357 Mag, is referencing the firearm, not the ammunition. Including a picture of a .357 snub in the first post and starting the thread in the "Defensive Carry Guns" section also gives the impression that loads carried by members in a .357 revolver is the topic of discussion. Personally, I don't see the need to insult others by suggesting they lack common sense in light of the errors pointed out above.

And, IMO, one who will shootONLY .38 spl. and buys a .357 to shoot them in, isn't too smart.There is a GOOD REASON why they make .38 spl. revolvers, could it be to shoot .38 spl. ONLY bullets?
    If you don't intend to be insulting, then why refer to those that carry .38 in .357 revolvers as doing something that "isn't too smart"? Not sure if it was your intent, but the whole post comes off as condescending.
    Last edited by artificialgrey; September 17th, 2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Noticed similiar thread in the Ammunition section
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I don't mean to be insulting, and I apologize if anyone is offended, BUT, either people have difficulty reading or just lack simple common sense when posting replies on a forum. If this thread is kind enough to continue, please allow me to re-ask the question in a more simplistic way, MAYBE then it will be understood? New question..357 SNUBBY...WHAT .357 ROUND IS YOUR CARRY ROUND IN YOUR .357 CARRY GUN? I am asking about the .357 magnum round, in a .357 magnum snubby revolver. I'm not asking anything about anything .38 spl., JUST .357 MAGNUM! And, IMO, one who will shootONLY .38 spl. and buys a .357 to shoot them in, isn't too smart.There is a GOOD REASON why they make .38 spl. revolvers, could it be to shoot .38 spl. ONLY bullets? I'm not interested in what round someone practices with either, IMO, you should always practice with the same ammo(at least the same caliber) that you will carry for SD. Again IMO, it's not only ridiculous, but also unwise to practice with .357 if your going to carry .38 spl. as it is to practice with .38 spl. and carry .357. I hope the replies will continue, however , in relation to .357 rounds & .357 revolver only, nothing .38 spl. Thanks, I hope.
    Let me comment on the underlined portion of your post. Sometimes new shooters find the .357 round to be too much for them at least initially, and do use .38 ammo in a .357 revolver. If you think that isn't to smart, that is your perogotive. Sometimes people start off with something a little more tame, and work up to shooting a full house .357 round when they feel they are ready for it. The fact that a .357 will chamber both rounds leaves people that option.
    As far as me I have no problem with the recoil of a hot .357 round, in a short barrel revolver, heck I don't have a problem with a .44 Magnum round in a short barrel revolver either. But some people do.
    When it comes to choosing ammo for defense I don't pay as much attention to caliber as I do the ballistics of a particular round. With a 2-3 inch barrel I choose a round that will give good velocity and expansion in whatever I am carry on that give day. For my .357 that can be either .38 or .357 ammo, and that can change with the weather. Michigan winters are cold and most people wear heavier clothing in the winter, thus pentration of one round might not be as good as I would like. Now come summer when the weather gets hot and humid, folks wear lighter clothing and you don't need as much penetration to get through the clothing. Over-pentration is as undesirable as under penetration.
    Choose what you like, but I do take offense when somebody claims that I'm " not too smart"!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To be even more clear it says .357 snubby. And again that's where the common sense comes in....357 gun=.357 ammo. You stress my point.
    Bart, have you even shot your .357 snubby yet? On September 10th, you posted that you had not yet shot it.

Bart: "I've shot both 125 gr. & 158 gr. in .357 magnum in the 4 inch barrel, I haven't noticed any big difference in re-coil. I haven't had the time to get out and shoot my snubby yet, but when I do I'll try both rounds in it as well. I've been told the re-coil of the 158 gr. is significantly more than the 125 gr. when fired from the snubby. Is this correct? Just curious as of what to expect. Thanks."

This is the thread from which I quote you: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1294643
    Last edited by Rexster; September 17th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Hmm this is interesting.....I was going over this post to help me find a good. .357 or 38spl load for my new taurus 605.

I did shoot it with some reloads, that I picked up form the gun show, that tore up the webbing skin in the seat of my thumb. I did change out the cushy Taurus grips for some nice wood ones....but I can live with it....I liked the wood grip better...just when I shoot it (like 30-40rounds) my skin splits, or is pinched in the webbing of my thumb. Minor hinderence, cause I like the .357 in a 2incher....makes me warm and fuzzy, the ouch is later. I can handle 10-15rounds just fine.

SO I was referring to this post as to help me with a .357 SD round that I can use effeciently when/if needed.

But now it has gone all scewed. Can we get back on topic?

Seems to me the 125gr GDHP might be a option for me, but I'm still in the air. More specs, reasons, opinions please.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Frogbones; September 17th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Federal 357 125 grain.

I'm still trying to master my Smith 60 and am confident only at very close range. The 357 is a remarkable round. There are more one shot stops with this round than any other.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

135 GDHP for short barrel. WWB 110 HP for practice. I always enjoy "the flash at night will blind you!" If the sights are on, the flash will be a bummer on the other end, as well.

158 gr LHP +P (Hot Load)

I don't mean to be insulting, and I apologize if anyone is offended, BUT, either people have difficulty reading or just lack simple common sense when posting replies on a forum. If this thread is kind enough to continue, please allow me to re-ask the question in a more simplistic way, MAYBE then it will be understood? New question..357 SNUBBY...WHAT .357 ROUND IS YOUR CARRY ROUND IN YOUR .357 CARRY GUN? I am asking about the .357 magnum round, in a .357 magnum snubby revolver. I'm not asking anything about anything .38 spl., JUST .357 MAGNUM! And, IMO, one who will shootONLY .38 spl. and buys a .357 to shoot them in, isn't too smart.There is a GOOD REASON why they make .38 spl. revolvers, could it be to shoot .38 spl. ONLY bullets? I'm not interested in what round someone practices with either, IMO, you should always practice with the same ammo(at least the same caliber) that you will carry for SD. Again IMO, it's not only ridiculous, but also unwise to practice with .357 if your going to carry .38 spl. as it is to practice with .38 spl. and carry .357. I hope the replies will continue, however , in relation to .357 rounds & .357 revolver only, nothing .38 spl. Thanks, I hope.
    Oh i get it. It's a trick question. Is it .357 MAGNUM

VIP Member
    Sorry, but with your crappy attitude I couldn’t resist. In my older age, I've become somewhat soft and so I prefer the lower recoil of the .38+P 135 Gr Speer Gold Dot for short barrels. BTW: I like your model 60 as I ordered one too! However, after a bit of armchair lawyer reading I changed my order to the 640.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Even if it ticks you off, I will still tell you that I carry 135 Gr Gold Dot +P's in my .357 Mag in my Ruger SP101 (2.25" barrel). I will also say that I'm damn proud of it!
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Let me guess. You're new to revolvers, right?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links