.38 Special 110 gr. Silvertips?

This is a discussion on .38 Special 110 gr. Silvertips? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shooting 125 gr. +P's out of my S&W 442, but am wondering if it might be "better" to ease up a bit with ...

Thread: .38 Special 110 gr. Silvertips?

I've been shooting 125 gr. +P's out of my S&W 442, but am wondering if it might be "better" to ease up a bit with something like Winchester 110 gr. Silvertips (standard pressure) in a short, light snubbie.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I haven't tried the Winchester Silvertips, but the CorBon DPX 110 grain ammo is some of the best rated ammo for a .38 snubbie.
    The standard pressure Federal Nyclad 125 grain rounds are rated as very effective and they are what I use when I carry my .38.
    I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the DPX locally to try it, yet.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

The best of the non +P loads are the Nyclads, the Silvertips, the Remington 110gr SJHP, the 110gr Hydra Shok, and the 158gr Buffalo Bore. I have no experience with the BB loads, sorry, but you're on your own with that one. The Nyclad is great, but won't hold up very well in speedloaders or speed strips. The nylon peels and the hollow points get beat up after a while. Jacketed HPs like the Hydra Shok and Silvertip don't have that problem. The Nickle plated Hydra Shok case stays cleaner longer than the brass Silvertip case. The Silvertip tends to tumble from the snub if it doesn't fully expand, I've seen it over and over in test bullets. The 110gr Remington will mushroom, but it's nowhere near as impressive as it is in the +p or .357 loadings. Those expand big and throw off fragments of that scalloped jacket, the non +p just expands a little.

In the snubs I don't choose to use +p in, I use Nyclads in the gun, Hydra Shok in the spares.

Cor Bon discontinued the non +p DPX load. Maybe if we sent them nasty emails about it they'd bring it back. That's what happened with Federal and the Nyclad.

ETA: I see ads for a new non +P from Hornady. I was not a fan of the XTP as a defense load (and a few loaders use that bullet in .38 loads, I'll pass) But the new rubber tipped Hornady FTX looks interesting. I have never seen or shot one, though. Can't help you with that one either.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; September 18th, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

I wish they still made the DPX in non +p but the reason they stopped was that the bullets were unstable and key holed badly. I use the Nyclads in my snubs. The most accurate bullets in my guns are the remington 110's but they won't open up and expand. I also like the critical defense ammo non +P 110.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I agree.....nothing wrong with 110's....I load a lot of Hornady 110gr. XTP...they shoot very well....Winchester Silver Tips get good reports.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

I have the lighter grain silver tip for my S&W 637, and it's a bit easier for my wife to handle....they work very well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I doubt that it matters whether you use 110's or 125's in your .38 snubbie. Either will do the job!

gold40

Although I do not have test results readily available I am under the impression that 110 gr bullets do not penetrate sufficiently in many cases. Isn't that the reason that the 158 gr SWCHP is preferred round by so many users?

I do not want less than 9 inches penetration and 12 is better. Do any of you have figures? I would fear that the 110 grainers might make too shallow a wound on a very large individual. Some of the bikers in gangs I have seen on TV would need 12 inches I think.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by cocojo View Post
    I wish they still made the DPX in non +p but the reason they stopped was that the bullets were unstable and key holed badly. I use the Nyclads in my snubs. The most accurate bullets in my guns are the remington 110's but they won't open up and expand. I also like the critical defense ammo non +P 110.
    I do remember seeing evidence of instability in the few rounds of 110 (non +P) DPX we tested. A regular customer gave us a few rounds out of his only box. The two we recovered had one "finger" expand open and one partially open. I have a crappy cell phone pic somewhere....

VIP Member
    I have shot some non+P critical defence and hydrashok, both 110gr and thought both were good and nasty on soft tgts. Used an LCR.

Sponsored Links