Bulk ammo advice?

Bulk ammo advice?

This is a discussion on Bulk ammo advice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I'm about to get a second .45 to feed I thought I'd start getting some bulk range ammo for them. I know it's not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulk ammo advice?

Since I'm about to get a second .45 to feed I thought I'd start getting some bulk range ammo for them. I know it's not Defensive grade but this seemed the most appropriate folder for this question.

The first lot I'm considering is Wolf's new polymer coated .230gr FMJ. I've had some reliability problems (ftf) in the past with their laquer coated stuff but never tried the polymer cases. Anybody tried it out? The price is pretty good at $75 for 450 rounds and it's sealed in military style tins. Seems it'd be perfect for stockpiling but if it's no better than the old stuff I'll probably pass.

The second lot is the Hungarian 230gr FMJ at Ammoman (FMS?). Again, price is attractive but I don't know anything about it. anyone tried it yet?
    Both of these are listed as non-corrosive and since I don't reload anyway it doesn't bother me if it's steel or brass cased.

Any input here would be appreciated, I've got two hungry .45s to feed here.
    Jack

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    have you gone to your range or gun shop and asked if they can sell you bulk at a small profit?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

That's a thought. The shop where I buy most of my guns carries this no name white box stuff (just a series of numbers stamped on the boxes), it's actually really accurate and feeds well in every gun I've tried it in. Not sure if they have enough for bulk sales or not but it would save on shipping fees.

Thanks for the idea!
    Jack

Jack,

I get occasional failures with Wolf in my Springfield 1911 (it eats everything else without prejudice). But it's not so bad - makes you work on those malfunction drills. I've talked with others who have had no problems and some who do. So you may just need to buy a box or two and see how they work.

If you're really looking for inexpensive ammo - don't overlook reloading. You can get setup pretty cheap with a book and a single stage package from Lee. It's far less complex than most folks make it sound - and as long as you follow the 'rules', no one gets hurt. :)

For the .45 I usually load rounds for 7 cents a piece ($70/1000). If I cast the bullets that price drops to 3 cents a round. That's not counting the time you spend reloading - but hey - that can be fun too. :)

Good luck.

I did a little bit of reloading with my dad years ago when I was a kid. My wife and I live in a small two bedroom apartment now and there's just no space for it. I have a small B&D workbench but it's outside on the balcony but it's exposed to whatever rain blows in. Also, with the meds I'm on for the spinal damage I really don't trust my concentration enough to work with primers and gunpowder.
    Jack

Sportsman's Guide has FEDERAL REDBOX (American Eagle) for about $97 for 500 but that won't include shipping. Still I think it's the best deal out there. I don't like the Wolf ammo. Mainly because it's underpowered and might cause jams with heavier recoil springs.

I was running an IDPA match with the last of my last batch of Wolf ammo. My gunsmith was behind me on my squad. He pointed out that my extracted brass were just barely "dribbling" out of the chamber and forming a small pile at my feet. At the time I was running my Sig P245. I didn't have any jams that day IIRC but certainly I could see the potential based on that "dribbling" factor. I have purchased the American Eagle ever since in 500 rd cases.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Blazer from Natchess

Its not bulk...but it is inexpensive when purchased by the case. And in my opinion, it is better than bulk and way better than Wolf.

It is consistent from my chronoing experience, accurate and a great practice/target load. Try a few boxes before you buy it by the case.

I use wolf in my .45, and 9mm, with only 2 failures in .45, and 2 in 9mm, ammo related. Cabela's is the best price I have found. It works out to be .16 cents per round with shipping. I buy 3K rounds in a single order. For the price a problem or two I can handle.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...837&hasJS=true
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

You can try surfing around on 1911forum.com. They used to have a thread that someone kept up to date on difference prices of various brands of .45 (by the 1k) from different distributors. Not sure if it's still there or not.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    NOTHING with a steel case.

There are some real good deals from some of the "by in bulk" style reloaders. Especially if you are close enough to pick it up yourself. Can you imagine how cheep ammo by the case would be if there were no shipping.

If you plan to reload I would buy new vs. reloaded ammo. Some of the larger reloaders have machines that are fairly hard on brass.--------

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of stuff to consider:
    Natchez is a no go because they won't ship to TN adresses (I don't get it but that's their policy).

Been a long time since I tried Fed's. Am. Eagle but as I recall it was pretty good stuff.

Cabela's is where I saw the sealed tins of Wolf, lots of other stuff there too.

One of the guys on 1911Forum sent a link to "The Ammunition Store" http://www.ammunitionstore.com and recommended the Maine Cartridge Co. as being good quality. Prices look pretty good on ball and defense loads plus lots of stuff to choose from.

Also saw Magtech on several sites, haven't tried it but heard some good reports. May very well order from the Ammunition Store and try out several different brands in small quantities. Looks like it'll have to wait until next payday though as I've run through my "gun fund" for the month ordering leather, accessories and putting the XD on layaway - also have some unknown medical costs coming up.
    Thanks again guys!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't get the CCI Blazer Brass cased ammo - they are having problems with the bullets being set too far into the cartridges (not just internet rumor, I have personal experirence). Oddly enough, this has not occurred with the Aluminum case Blazer ammo.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    mclean3, The Maine Cart. Co. is where I got some of my clubs ammo when I lived in Maine. We never had a problem with their reloaded stuff in the calibers that we shot.

Also keep in mind gunshows. No shipping and sometimes good deals. If you find what you want...... buy a bunch. -----

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    Don't get the CCI Blazer Brass cased ammo - they are having problems with the bullets being set too far into the cartridges (not just internet rumor, I have personal experirence). Oddly enough, this has not occurred with the Aluminum case Blazer ammo.
    I had that problem with Blazer Brass. 2 cases worth. CCI customer service was awesome though, they sent me 2 return shipping tickets and offered to replace all of it with either CCI aluminum case or Lawman.
    I chose the aluminum case Blazer because it has always worked for me in the past.
    They also threw in an extra 500 rounds, no charge, free shipping.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

+1 for Blaser. The aluminum cased rounds sell locally for less than $8.00 per box of fifty here in the Milwaukee area......Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links