ammo

This is a discussion on ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; this was on yahoo today America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded - Yahoo! News NEW ORLEANS Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven ...

Thread: ammo

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar

ammo

this was on yahoo today

America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded - Yahoo! News

NEW ORLEANS Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.

Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages. Bullets, especially for handguns, have been scarce for months because gun enthusiasts are stocking up on ammo, in part because they fear President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress will pass antigun legislation even though nothing specific has been proposed and the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.

Gun sales spiked when it became clear Obama would be elected a year ago and purchases continued to rise in his first few months of office. The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before.

"That is going to cause an upswing in ammunition sales," said Larry Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association representing about 5,000 members. "Without bullets a gun is just a paper weight."

The shortage for sportsmen is different than the scarcity of ammo for some police forces earlier this year, a dearth fueled by an increase in ammo use by the military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand," said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. "We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."

Americans usually buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year, according to the National Rifle Association. In the past year, that figure has jumped to about 9 billion rounds, said NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak.

Jason Gregory, who manages Gretna Gun Works just outside of New Orleans, has been building his personal supply of ammunition for months. His goal is to have at least 1,000 rounds for each of his 25 weapons.

"I call it the Obama effect," said Gregory, 37, of Terrytown, La. "It always happens when the Democrats get in office. It happened with Clinton and Obama is even stronger for gun control. Ammunition will be the first step, so I'm stocking up while I can."

So far, the new administration nor Congress has not been markedly antigun. Obama has said he respects Second Amendment rights, but favors "common sense" on gun laws. Still, worries about what could happen persist.

Demand has been so heavy at some Walmarts, a limit was imposed on the amount of ammo customers can buy. The cutoff varies according to caliber and store location, but sometimes as little as one box or 50 bullets is allowed.

At Barnwood Arms in Ripon, Calif., sales manager Dallas Jett said some of the shortages have leveled off, but 45-caliber rounds are still hard to find.

"We've been in business for 32 years and I've been here for 10 and we've never seen anything like it," Jett said. "Coming out of Christmas everything started to dry up and it was that way all through the spring and summer.

Nationwide, distributors are scrambling to fill orders from retailers.

"We used to be able to order 50 or 60 cases and get them in three or four days easy, it was never an issue," said Vic Grechniw of Florida Ammo Traders, a distributor in Tampa, Fla. "Now you are really lucky if you can get one case a month. It just isn't there because the demand is way up."

A case contains 500 or 1,000 bullets.

At Jefferson Gun Outlet and Range in Metairie just west of New Orleans, owner Mike Mayer is worried individuals are going to start buying by the case.

"If someone wants to shoot on the weekend you have to worry about having the ammunition for them. And I know some people aren't buying to use it at the range, they're taking it home and hoarding it."

With demand, prices have also risen.

"Used to be gold, but now lead is the most expensive metal," said Donald Richards, 37, who was stocking up at the Jefferson store. "And worth every penny."
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

2. Remove Ads

I bought some Winchester Ranger ammo on Gunbroker back in June, I figured prices would drop right after I bought it. I went ahead and bought it anyway given that it's not very easy to obtain being a "restricted" load by the maker. Now here it is at the end of September and the ammo "shortage" hasn't really changed that much. Local Wal-Mart never has any handgun ammo; found some at Gander Mt. but, it's no wonder they had plenty at $40 for a 50 round box of 45 ball. Same price as I paid for the Ranger T (after shipping) back in June.

.45acp seems the hardest to find while 9mm is pretty much available if you look hard enough (comes and goes). .40sw is not hard to obtain either. At least in my looking.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I think it all depends upon where you live.

One of the local dealers here has shelves full of all handgun calibers for the last three or four months. He has 10+ eight-foot shelves just for handgun ammo. He even has a decent supply of .380. He's also had shelves full of CCI and Winchester primers, in all sizes, for a couple of months now.

This weekend there was a sale with reps from ATK/Federal there with a big trailer display. Part of the sale was 115 gr 9mm Blazer Brass @ $9.99/50. That's almost as cheap as I can reload plinking ammo, but without the labor. Plus, I get reloadable brass.

When the sale started, the pile was five feet high, five feet wide and four boxes deep. That works out to over 150,000 rounds, and I don't know if that was all they had. I am assuming the ATK/Federal people brought it with them.

There was a 10-box purchase limit so I bought 500 rounds on Friday but didn't have a chance to go back yesterday or today for another 500.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

cmb
    I finally got some 45 this week at Walmart. In July paid 31.97 p/100; Firday paid 34.97. 9mm here is still 20$ p/100 and they had 22lr in the big bricks. I just keep enough so I can go shoot what ever gun when I want but it seems now I'll have to stock for 2 trips to the range.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My local deal had 9mm, I want to say Blazer Brass for 10.97 a box limit 2, and the shelf was full, also had other stuff a bit more expensive. They had plenty of .380, .45 and all of the other calibers, even some .500 that they do not normally stock.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    .45 & 9mm aren't to be found in WM's in southern Colorado or Albuquerque. A few gun shops have some .45, but it's >$30 for 50 rounds. I'm glad I got what I did, when I did. I managed to get 1000 primers before I moved to NM so I can at least reload that much - for now............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links