Speer GD or GD SB?

This is a discussion on Speer GD or GD SB? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For barrels under 4 in...do yall use standard GD's or GD short barrels? I have a sig p239 and have always used regulars...I'm debating on ...

View Poll Results: For barrels under 4 in. GD or GDSB's?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gold Dot

40 47.06%
  • Gold Dot Short Barrel

45 52.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speer GD or GD SB?

Speer GD or GD SB?

For barrels under 4 in...do yall use standard GD's or GD short barrels?

I have a sig p239 and have always used regulars...I'm debating on getting some SB's.

2. Remove Ads

I have an XD9sc and an LCP. I have no problems shooting regular Gold Dots in them, but if I can find the "short barrel" Gold Dot's that's what I prefer.

They are designed for a lower recoil and low muzzle flash. However, they have been rather scarce. I don't have any at the present moment.

No problems shooting regular Gold Dot's though if that's all that is available.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

the GDSB's are little more than marketing hype.

The regular GD's have a slower powder that in 3" guns tends to leave some unburnt and creates a nice cloud of smoke.

The GSDB's use less powder and a slightly faster one from what I understand, this reduces the smoke-cloud signature and leaves the illusion of a more efficient round.

A friend and I tested velocities in a 3" gun and they are nearly identical - waste of time unless you're really bothered by the muzzle flash or powder report of your existing GDs.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Just regular ole' Speer Gold Dots in both my Kimbers and two Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use Speer Gold Dot 9mm LUGER +P 124GR Short Barrel Hollow Point.

S&W M&P 9c

They work fine and that's what I need to know.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

I have never considered short barrel specific ammo for my short barrel pistols. I use the same ammo for SD that I use in the rest of my pistols.

Glock 30 & 36 both get fed standard 200+P GD's.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

in a short .38 spl. the SB ammo is a better choice. More dependable expansion and a heavier grain bullet than the regular GD.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    the GDSB's are little more than marketing hype.

The regular GD's have a slower powder that in 3" guns tends to leave some unburnt and creates a nice cloud of smoke.

The GSDB's use less powder and a slightly faster one from what I understand, this reduces the smoke-cloud signature and leaves the illusion of a more efficient round.

A friend and I tested velocities in a 3" gun and they are nearly identical - waste of time unless you're really bothered by the muzzle flash or powder report of your existing GDs.
    Thanks for that post. If they are leaving muzzle at same velocity than there's really no difference. I've been shooting regular Gold Dot's for a while since I've been unable to locate the Short Barrel. At least they were at the same price so I wasn't getting ripped off.

But from here on out, I think I'll stick to the regular GD's.

Thanks again for posting your test results!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

thanks for the reply's fellas.

Just regular GD for me. It is much easier to buy a bunch of regular GD ammo and use it between 3 pistols and a rifle, than it is to keep some short barrel stuff for one gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Regular Gold Dots!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

DRT
    Neither, make mine Ranger T-Series or HST. Both are superior loadings.

I have never used the short barrels, the regular Gold Dots shot just fine from my P3AT.

I guess the difference in the performance may not be big enough to switch to the Gold Dot SB rounds if U have varying sizes of 9mm firearms. But if you only only shirt barrel 9mm pistol then it may be the better choice. It was explained to me that because of the lenth of the barrel the rounds from normal Gold Dots perform different than they would in a 3inch barrel like my G26.

The SB ammo was created to improve the performance of the round in the smaller 9mm handguns that have been produced over the years. Eventually when you start making these guns smaller, youre gona have to start making ajustments to the ammo to insure that the best possible results your weapon can achieve are reachable.

I guess a good example would be buying a suit:

A Taylor Made to fit Italian Suit VS. The Same suit but off the rack in your basic size. The one that is Taylor made will look and feel a lot better as it hangs off your frame than off the rack in your size.

I just bought some of the Speer GDSB 124gr +P 9mm ammo, and fired off a whole box. This was my 1st time shooting any Speer GD ammo. I liked it, and I liked it. Im a beginner and am trying to find the ammo I am most accurate with that can also be found available for regular practice at the range. I figure The Speer Gold Dots in 124gr +p are a good choice even if I cant find the SB variety. I shot the Speer GDSB a lot more accurately than the COR@BON 100gr Pow'RBall ammo I tried as well.

The thing is, I'm just getting started in deciding which ammo I want to use going forward. Changing ammo down the line because they may come out with an ammo that was designed specifically for my G26 (LOL) would not be a smart decision. Sometimes you gotta use what your most comfortable with rather than what seems to be the new & better thing at the time.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links