When to refresh?

This is a discussion on When to refresh? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many times is too many times to cycle a bullet through my G27? I think the same top round in my mag, a 165gr ...

Thread: When to refresh?

When to refresh?

How many times is too many times to cycle a bullet through my G27? I think the same top round in my mag, a 165gr Winchester PDX1 JHP has probably been through about 30 times and has a couple little dents and nicks now. I'll be at the range this weekend so afterwards I'll have all "fresh" ammo but it has me wondering.

2. Remove Ads

Once I have chambered the same round three times it goes in the Range Bin.

Those rounds generally only get chanmbered one more time, at the Range, and are then disposed of in a downrange fashion.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; October 1st, 2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: typo

I rotate my top round to the bottom of the magazine every so often. When I feel it's time as opposed to any specific number of times chambered. I don't let mine get to the point of being scratched or dented though. A few times a year, all of my carry ammo will be refreshed and the old will get shot up at the range. I actually keep a box just for 'must shoot...do not carry any more' ammo.

VIP Member
    I mark my casing with a sharpie, then like above posts, it eventually goes in the 'range box'.

2-3 chamberings, and it'll go in a spare mag for either range or backup mag use.

To the OP: if you have access to a calipers, measure the overall length of the round, compared to one that's never been chambered...I'm interested to see if you've got any bullet setback...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Figured as much guys, thanks. Its just one of those things I didn't think about when I started carrying on a daily basis. I brought an extra mag and a box of ammo to keep on hand that I can cycle though and fill up for when I unload for whatever reason here. Thanks for the advice.

I only recycle the top two rounds in my mag...maybe 3-4 times, then those top two SD rounds are fired off at the range followed by the rest of my hardball...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links