.40sw defense ammo - Page 2

.40sw defense ammo

This is a discussion on .40sw defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing but Gold Dots in my 9 or my .40s. If it's good enough for the GSP, it's good enough for me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .40sw defense ammo

Nothing but Gold Dots in my 9 or my .40s. If it's good enough for the GSP, it's good enough for me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    However, I find it's more important to worry about the tactics used than the projectile that is luanched once a socially conscious round has been selected.
    What is a "socially conscious" round?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    What is a "socially conscious" round?
    One that has been selected to minimize the dangers to innocents around you and render the violent criminal actor's actions ceased in the most expedient manner.

That generally means a hollowpoint of some kind, but not always, that stays in the violent criminal actor's body.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    One that has been selected to minimize the dangers to innocents around you and render the violent criminal actor's actions ceased in the most expedient manner.

That generally means a hollowpoint of some kind, but not always, that stays in the violent criminal actor's body.

Biker
    Thanks. That's a new term for me.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I like the "cheapo" Remington Golden Sabers actually.
    That's what I carry in both glocks and they are available locally. I get good results with them. I've been considering trying the doubletap ammo. The local PD where I work carries some doubletap in .40 and .357 sig.

Edit: Doubletap has the 135 gr. Nosler JHP for the .40 that is 1375 fps. I haven't talked to anyone that has tried them. Has anyone got any info on them?
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Ok so I tested some Ranger T, DPX, Hornady XTP, Winchester PDX1, and Gold Dots which I found locally.

I will say that they all functioned well, but I seemed to group best with the Ranger T, DPX, and Gold Dots. I really wish I could find/get some HST but alas it won't happen. So it's down to a decision...Gold Dot 180gr or Ranger-T 180gr leaving out the DPX due to cost although I do have some in 9mm and .45acp. I think I'm going to rotate that out because it's expensive stuff.

Are there any direct testing comparing the 180gr Speer Gold-Dot to the 180gr Winchester Ranger-T? If one were to choose between them, price per box being $2 difference in boxes of 50, which would they go with? The differences are probably too minor to be picky I suppose, but should I flip a coin?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    180 Grain is not need for Home Defense or personals for that matter. I base this on FBI stats. They say 165 155. I bought Winchester Law Enforcement JHP 165 grain. Put 10 rounds thought my Smith and Wesson M&P 40. accurate and smooth.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    180 Grain is not need for Home Defense or personals for that matter. I base this on FBI stats. They say 165 155. I bought Winchester Law Enforcement JHP 165 grain. Put 10 rounds thought my Smith and Wesson M&P 40. accurate and smooth.
    I like a heavier bullet except in the case of DPX which is not available in multiple weights.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I carry 180gr Gold Dots in my G23. They are very accurate, no issues, and a great round. I bought 2 boxes of 165gr. HST's a few weeks ago when ATG had them in stock. I'll give them a try soon to see how they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by purwater View Post
    Doubletap has the 135 gr. Nosler JHP for the .40 that is 1375 fps. I haven't talked to anyone that has tried them. Has anyone got any info on them?
    Sorry, never used the Noslers. Maybe you could let us know how they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I carry 180gr Gold Dots in my G23. They are very accurate, no issues, and a great round. I bought 2 boxes of 165gr. HST's a few weeks ago when ATG had them in stock. I'll give them a try soon to see how they shoot.
    Yeah, I tend to follow Dr. Roberts and the testing he has done to see what ammo fares better than others and try to pick a round I can obtain off that list he compiles. That's just me, I take faith in testing and analysis of problems with a particular round (if any). Puts my mind at ease with the fact that the round I use is going to work as it's designed and not plug etc.

I'm no expert and I see 100 different weights/manufacturers/designs and advertising. So in my mind I wanted to find an expert and take whatever advice they can give. I use a lot of resources and test everything I am thinking of using in my firearm(s). Gold Dots do always come out well in all testing I see so if all else fails I can use them and be confident.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Yeah, I tend to follow Dr. Roberts and the testing he has done to see what ammo fares better than others and try to pick a round I can obtain off that list he compiles. That's just me, I take faith in testing and analysis of problems with a particular round (if any). Puts my mind at ease with the fact that the round I use is going to work as it's designed and not plug etc.

I'm no expert and I see 100 different weights/manufacturers/designs and advertising. So in my mind I wanted to find an expert and take whatever advice they can give. I use a lot of resources and test everything I am thinking of using in my firearm(s). Gold Dots do always come out well in all testing I see so if all else fails I can use them and be confident.
    I just switched to Gold Dot myself
    Check out this link about them .
    gold dot - Google Videos
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I use Golden Sabers, 165 @ .40 and 124 @ 9mm.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

I just bought 3 boxes of 165 HST from ammunitiontogo.com for $25 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    I just bought 3 boxes of 165 HST from ammunitiontogo.com for $25 a box.
    I saw that, but I kinda want 180gr.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links