.40sw defense ammo

.40sw defense ammo

This is a discussion on .40sw defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my choice would be Federal HST probably 180gr for my G23. However, they are not available anywhere I looked and I spent 5 hours ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.40sw defense ammo

So my choice would be Federal HST probably 180gr for my G23. However, they are not available anywhere I looked and I spent 5 hours last night trying to find em. Winchester Ranger-T is overpriced. So what's the next options to try? I'll be needing to test various brands through and see what works best. I was hoping to find some HST somewhere to try it because I like it in 9mm and .45acp. I also like DPX and will be testing that as well. I'm a bit partial to the HST I have though and was hoping to possibly also try it on .40sw. No such luck I suppose, they were very popular and I guess they're bought up before they are really out there in stock.

So what's the scoop? Gold Dots, those new PDX1 bonded Winchester rounds, Federal Tactical Bonded, DPX? What's the scoop these days? I guess they'll all work if I can hit the target but I wanna know if I should try to find something else to give a test with as well against these. My local places don't carry much premium brands. Generally I can find the older Cor-Bons, Hydrashock (yuck), some Hornady TAP I think it is, maybe a few cheapo Remington or Winchester JHP boxes and the 20round boxes of gold dots. Needless to say I buy most of my ammo online.

Thanks.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

TDS(Tactical Defense Solutions) has 180grn Ranger SXT for $28.00 box
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why yuck with the Hydra Shocks? Those are my carry rounds for my .40 and .45.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    TDS(Tactical Defense Solutions) has 180grn Ranger SXT for $28.00 box
    Ahh cool so I can grab some for my testing. Excellent.

Basically just gonna shoot em and see what is most accurate and use that. I have found HST and DPX to be very consistent for me in my G19/G17/1911s. So I've basically used them with the nod to the HST for expansion results in the various test sites.

Now the question is, with no HST option what will I use? Actually I think I might go with the Ranger this time assuming it is accurate out of my G23 (no reason it shouldn't be but you never can predict) because the local Sheriff dept issues it and perhaps I just might be able to find a local supplier somewhere that has extra boxes.

Thanks for the heads up on the Rangers
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Why yuck with the Hydra Shocks? Those are my carry rounds for my .40 and .45.
    Bad results when fired through covered gel in many tests. I feel they are simply outclassed by today's standards.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I like the "cheapo" Remington Golden Sabers actually.

I can get the golden sabers locally. Thought about trying them, but I didn't like them in .45acp. For whatever reason they didn't produce very good groupings from my 1911. It simply liked the HST and DPX better. I don't remember if it was a +p load or not. My 1911 seemed to produce better results, speaking of accuracy, from +p ammo.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Did some calling around, one place local to me has some Ranger ammo, but I'll have to go verify the model and be sure if it's the bonded version or not. Didn't seem to know when asked. Anyone seen results comparing the two?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Speer Gold Dot
    "A coward dies a thousand deaths. But a man dies only once."

I feed my G23 & G27 180 grain Gold Dots.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Well, I have a bunch of ammo on order now. When it all comes in I'll go to the range and do a bit of testing. See what feels good. Got some Ranger T, Gold dots, the new PDX1 bonded stuff, DPX, Some Hornady XTP on order. all 180gr except the DPX which is 140gr.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I use 180 gr Gold Dots.

The Ranger T is the same as the old Win. Black Tallon loads.
    Last edited by REDTAIL; October 2nd, 2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: error in spelling

I like Double Tap's Bonded Defense in just about any caliber. It's a Speer Gold Dot loaded hot with a flash suppressant powder for low-light firing.

I have an assortment of ammo.

180 HST is my preferred, and I have a bit of it.
    I also have Federal Classic 155 and 180 Grain JHP's. While both of those are older technology they have been proven to work. The 155 grain tends to work a little better, FWIW.

I don't worry so much about the ammo, once I have selected a proven and, reliable in my gun, load. I do have my favorites, like we all do. However, I find it's more important to worry about the tactics used than the projectile that is luanched once a socially conscious round has been selected.

Just to add, the Federal 180 grain "Classic" JHP tends to be a little over-penetrative, so I tend to use that at the Range or when I'm in a rural area as opposed to Downtown Bumblefart.

If it were me I'd find something that has been proven that is reliable in YOUR gun that you can get plenty of and stock up on it. You did run 200 failure-free rounds through your gun before trusting it didn't you?

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links