Bought some ammo at the gun show

This is a discussion on Bought some ammo at the gun show within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got 500 rnds of 9mm Luger 125 Grain FMJ for just under $100 bucks. It's reloaded ammo, and now I'm a bit hesitant to run ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got 500 rnds of 9mm Luger 125 Grain FMJ for just under $100 bucks. It's reloaded ammo, and now I'm a bit hesitant to run this through my beretta because it was so cheap.

From a safety standpoint, I dont really care about accuracy or ballistic preformance, should I shoot this stuff?

The cases are a wide mix of Speer, Win, Blazer, ect. The bullets appear well seated and the crimps/ caseings show no signs of damage. I will inspect each round that goes into a magazine for obvious flaws ( a practice I do with all my ammo anyway) and wont shoot something that just looks wrong.

Actually I'm inspecting each round now . . .

I don't know, am I being over-paranoid?
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

It's not a good idea to buy reloaded ammo from an unknown vendor you don't trust,worst case scaenario is an overcharged round that blows your gun up,squib round,no powder and the primer goes pop with enough force to plug the barrel with the bullet,without checking barrel for obstruction,you fire a round in a plugged barrel and blow your gun up and maybe lose some body parts you kinda like.
    Best case scenario is he knows what hes doing and it's just as good as factory
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I've shot reloads before, but only from someone I knew. Keep checking them, and be cautious that the round fires well. In my reloads I have had one squib that fouled the barrel, thankfully the next round stovepiped because of it or someone could have been hurt.

Be safe!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    Got 500 rnds of 9mm Luger 125 Grain FMJ for just under $100 bucks. It's reloaded ammo, and now I'm a bit hesitant to run this through my beretta because it was so cheap.

From a safety standpoint, I dont really care about accuracy or ballistic preformance, should I shoot this stuff?

The cases are a wide mix of Speer, Win, Blazer, ect. The bullets appear well seated and the crimps/ caseings show no signs of damage. I will inspect each round that goes into a magazine for obvious flaws ( a practice I do with all my ammo anyway) and wont shoot something that just looks wrong.

Actually I'm inspecting each round now . . .

I don't know, am I being over-paranoid?
    Um, no.

Gun-show reloads are notorious for being, well...junk.

I wouldn't shoot them, no way, no how.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Personally, I wouldn't have bought them. I bought gun show reloads once which had several misfires. I learned my lesson then not to buy them. I think you are smart by inspecting each round. Good luck!

VIP Member
    I only shoot ammo I've reloaded myself.

I have bought other reloads in the past IF they were cheap. I then pulled the bullets and reloaded them myself. That's what I'd do if I were you.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Most mishaps you read about are with reloads...I buy new (I'm not into reloading, and it's not as cheap as it once was...)OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Most mishaps you read about are with reloads...I buy new (I'm not into reloading, and it's not as cheap as it once was...)OMO
    I don't know, I've been thinking seriously about reloading...

Went to my Indoor range today and bought two 50rd boxes of Federal Eagle .45 @ $24.79 each + range time + targets! I hate paying $65 + a week for just shooting 100 measly rounds

The Dillon 550b is starting to look good at $400+...
    then the other accessories like scales, calipers, fliptray, manuals etc.
    I think the press would easily pay for it's self in three months! YMMV

THIS guy has nice 5 part Youtube Dillon reloading tutorial.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

B52
    You are brave; I hope they were loaded right.

You could verify the powder charge by weight checking all rounds. That would at least remove the possibility of a no or double charge.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Well...........

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    You could verify the powder charge by weight checking all rounds. That would at least remove the possibility of a no or double charge.
    The weight of the powder is meaningless unless you know what type of powder it is.

I but ammo at gun shows from commercial reloaders who back their product. From others I only buy components and assemble them myself.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Here's a thought on reloads. Every manufacturer I know of says shooting reloads will void your warranty. Keeping that in mind lets say you pull the trigger and your first round blows the gun to bits. What will you do? If the reloads are from a reputable company like say Georgia Arms, Black Hills, or Ultramax (and not saying there are problems with these rounds, just using them as an example) then they should stand behind their product and replace your gun. If you get them from Billy Bob's Bait Tackle Jerky and Ammo Inc. or from some unknown and un-traceable person at a gunshow, can you trust that your gun will be replaced? If you buy half a box from some widow at a garage sale, same thing. If you load them yourself, then you can only suck it up and blame yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Here's a thought on reloads. Every manufacturer I know of says shooting reloads will void your warranty. Keeping that in mind lets say you pull the trigger and your first round blows the gun to bits. What will you do? If the reloads are from a reputable company like say Georgia Arms, Black Hills, or Ultramax (and not saying there are problems with these rounds, just using them as an example) then they should stand behind their product and replace your gun. If you get them from Billy Bob's Bait Tackle Jerky and Ammo Inc. or from some unknown and un-traceable person at a gunshow, can you trust that your gun will be replaced? If you buy half a box from some widow at a garage sale, same thing. If you load them yourself, then you can only suck it up and blame yourself.
    I may be wrong, but I believe it violates federal law to sell reloaded/remanufactured ammo unless one has the manufacturer's license.

I'm willing to bet the individual folks selling reloads at gun shows do not have such a license.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I did some further checking. It's MiWall ammo, they have a decent rep of backing their stuff. I'll shoot it, paying careful attention to the possibility of a squib.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Good luck with your ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links