Do you leave your magazines empty? - Page 2

Do you leave your magazines empty?

This is a discussion on Do you leave your magazines empty? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Nova Do you leave your magazines empty until you bring them to the range, or do you fill them up with range ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Do you leave your magazines empty until you bring them to the range, or do you fill them up with range ammo ahead of time? Or, do you fill them all up with carry ammo?

I've got 8 magazines for my XD and I'm debating whether it is necessary to have more than 2 carry magazines - one in the gun, one in the spare mag holder. Maybe two for the car?

Is it bad for the ammo if you leave it in a magazine for too long? I'm worried about leaving a mag in the car and then the ammo not working when it is needed.
    My range has a big ol sign out front that says absolutely no loaded mags in the store, which you have to go through to get to the range.

The heat and moisture is what will get your ammo and the oild from your skin from handling so if your not gonna use it, maze well leave it in the box.

I keep mine filled all the time with defensive loads. Just makes for a "grab and go" when I'm on my way out.

If I'm going to go to the range, I exchange the ammo for plain ball.

It might be rough on the springs, but with a good brand, you won't have too much issue with the method.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Delcorbett View Post
    The heat and moisture is what will get your ammo and the oild from your skin from handling so if your not gonna use it, maze well leave it in the box.
    More urban myths, I'm afraid.

Unless one subjects ammo to high heat (well over what one would encounter in the average home, even in the desert) for very long periods of time, it will have little, if any, effect upon the ammo. Ask combat veterans about THEIR ammo storage conditions.

Same for moisture. Hand moisture and body oils will not damage ammo! It simply doesn't get inside the case. What oil on the case can do, is cause case setback in the chamber because the case cannot grip the cylinder wall during firing. Simply wiping the case with a dry rag solves the problem.

Modern ammo can be submerged in water with no effect. As for oils - spraying it on the inside of the primer will destroy the primer. Getting it on powder will have some effect, but that is VERY, VERY difficult to do with modern ammo.

Take a look at The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Yep. ^^

Urban myth.

Ammo can be and has been stored _submerged_ in water as well as paper case civil war era shells have been literally _unearthed_ from 100+ yrs. of exposure as having been 'stored' in earth (dirt!) as through seasonal cycles and still been operational. In fact at the Springfield Armory Museum there is an exhibit showing just such a paper case find and stating as such in so many words about it's relative fireable condition.

Also back in the early stages of the Iraq war the city of NY 'discovered' a large cache of ammunition that had been dating back to prior to the end of WW2. It had been placed inside a storage area under a bridge in NYC and the doors sealed only to be forgotten about and records lost.
    Some city workers unsealed the cache by cutting through the doors only to find a large cache of 50 BMG rounds sitting there. No air conditioning nor heating and it was half a decade old.
    Guess what the Army did? They tested it and found it all to be functional. There was then a big article in the NYT about the find and how that ammo was being sent to Iraq for use as training ammo toward the now modern fight as within Ma Deuce equipment that had also been ressurected some with build dates going back to Korea and WW2.

I am not making this up and it is not so simply because I say it.

Modern commercially produced duty/defensive handgun and centerfire ammunition is pretty much impervious to elements including heat, cold, humidity, and most anything else mother nature can muster.

The ammo is gonna go sour/bad/expire dur to exposure to <fill in the blank> and/or time thing is one of the biggest gunfu urban legends going.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

As an adjunct to my post on Wed. about state and local laws, the following post was made the next day on Thursday as at a different and private forum (members only to view and post) in an 'Armory' area to which I am a moderator.

Note the location (Albemarle, VA) and the similarity to my post as prior:

Quote Originally Posted by A VA resident gun owner as transporting a firearm intending to visit a range
    ...I was recently involved with a very considerate LEO for a minor traffic infraction (ie brake light out). During this traffic stop I had my handgun in its case on the back seat of my car. According to my understanding of Virginia's open carry laws, I am able to carry a weapon in my vehicle or on my person without permit as long as it is not in an establishment that serves alcohol and is not concealed in any fashion. During this stop the officer noticed the case and asked if a firearm occupied it. I informed him that it did and gave him permission to retrieve it. He did so after asking if it was loaded (it was not) and informed me that he was going to take it back to his car with him while he ran my license and ran the numbers on the gun. I had no problem with this at all. Upon his return he let me know that everything checked out okay and he was going to let me go with a warning to get my brake light fixed. But he also warned me that in Albemarle County it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle regardless if it is open carry or not. And because there were 2 magazines in the case along with the firearm (Not in the firearm) it would be considered a loaded firearm. He suggested that the magazines go in the glovebox while the firearm remained in its case in the backseat and let me leave.

I feel that it is a large responsibility to ensure that I am aware of all of the firearm laws in my state but it is a responsibility I am willing to take on due to my desire to obtain a CC in the future. However I am now concerned about what other laws I may have been overlooking that are not state laws but are local city/county laws.

My question to you Janq, what is your suggestion as to how I ensure that I have done ALL of my homework and am aware of ALL of the laws? I now feel that there are 134 new county laws and 40 independent city laws that I must now start researching and understanding in order to become a well informed citizen.
    I won't carry over the whole of my response to him as it went in depth into the legality of the actions involved by both he and the officer.
    I will though pass on the same links I'd provided to him as related to state and local code discussed that is applicable to instances such as this.

* Code of Virginia
    ß 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

* Albemarle County Code
    Sec. 10-108 Transporting loaded rifle or shotgun in vehicle.
    https://www.albemarle.org/upload/ima...enses_Misc.pdf

And I'd also provided the OP for general purpose information the following:

Virginia 'Local Firearms Ordinances'
    http://www.dgif.state.va.us/HUNTING/...ordinances.pdf

Folks have got to think to consider and _know_ this stuff wherever they might go as with a firearm be it as carry on body or transported either as stowed such as temporarily in a trunk/glove box or long term intent stored.

Be mindful of _all_ applicable gun laws federal, state, county, and city/town.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links