+P's and +P+'s in a Kahr CW-9 ??

+P's and +P+'s in a Kahr CW-9 ??

This is a discussion on +P's and +P+'s in a Kahr CW-9 ?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A new CW-9 is on its way to my FFL for me so I can't read the manual (yet). The Kahr site doesn't seem to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P's and +P+'s in a Kahr CW-9 ??

Question +P's and +P+'s in a Kahr CW-9 ??

A new CW-9 is on its way to my FFL for me so I can't read the manual (yet). The Kahr site doesn't seem to have this info, so . . .

Can I use +P's and +P+'s in my CW-9?

I have Speer Gold Dot 9mm+P, 124 gr., GDHP's and Ranger 9mm +P+, 127 gr., XTP's.

I currently carry a Cougar, but will use the Kahr for those days when a pocket gun is more appropriate.

I would shoot mostly mild, home-made reloads for most of my practice to get a good feel for the trigger and gun. Then use the high-power rounds to calibrate me to the round and POI for defense use. There wouldn't be a steady diet of these going down the tube.

Safe to use??

Thanks!
    Last edited by dino92g; April 13th, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member
    -Beretta Addict (but I do own 1911's, and even a couple of wheelguns too!)
    -I also have GAS (Gun Addiction Syndrome)

I poked around there website last night and sure couldn't find anything about it either i know there are a few kahr owners here but not sure if anyone has this exact model

erh
    dino92g - I own a customized Kahr K9 Elite '03, and many other handguns. I have over the last many years decided that (IMHO) +P or +P+, are not worth it to me. I use Win. "SilverTips" (standard loads) in all my pistols. I've never had a failure due to this particular ammo, & I habitually think shot placement & trigger control (Tons of practice is "Key".) Don't know if that is exactly what you wanted to hear; merely my .02 cents worth.

Eric Howland

I own a CW9 it's a great weapon, I had one out of the first batch made and had a problem with the trigger bar, Kahr was quick to fix the problem and haven't had any problem with it since(that was 9months ago). As far as your ammo choices the gold dot 124+p is fine in fact I found it to be the most accurate, I would never put +p+ through any weapon I like as it is loaded to far over standard pressure and besides from what I have seen in ballistic tests rangers 127 +P+ didn't perform any better than gold dot 124+p. The recommended grain for barrells under 4 inches is 124+p or 147, if I'm not carrying gold dot 124+p in mine then I carry 147 Federal HST.

I just look up the chamber pressures for those rounds the standard rnd(35000psi), the +p(38000psi), and the +p+(42000psi). You can see from this the +p+ not only will wear out your handgun faster but increases in my mind a chance of a kb.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I basically agree with erh. I don't own a Kahr but I do own several small weapons. To me it's like this. If you know your only gonna shoot one shot carry a T/C for your CCW. But if you feel that you might have to shoot more than one quick shot,double taps,or even triple taps,then stick with standard pressure loads.

Lets face it.....they are somewhat (to much)more controlable.This, depending on caliber,size of weapon,bbl length,size and strength of hand,shooter,etc.,etc. I would MUCH(!!) rather hit the BG with 2 standard velocity/pressure loads that just one +P. What say ye ???? --------

Thank you all!

Great info; thank you all!

I'm curious what the manual will say. I agree that the +P should be plenty, but as I do have some +P+ I thought I'd ask about that too.

I've seen references to "short barrel" defensive ammo. Trouble is, I can't find any specifics on that phrase. Is it just a reference to ammo that works well in these smaller guns as Bigglockdaddy writes?

Thanks again. The learning process NEVER stops!
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member

This is where I got that info from

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I use standard pressure Gold Dots in my Kahr P9, as there are no +P practice rounds, and I want my practice to be as close as possible to carry ballistics, recoil, function, etc.

The 124 GD's were the most accurate of the various defensive rounds I tried in my P9.

From what I was told from a Kahr Tech a few years ago +P was fine they were designed for it. I myself have fired +P and +P+ and Nato issused and have n]had no ill effects. My current load ism Federal 147 HST and 124+P EFMJ. My former carry load was Federal HydraShok +P+ 124.

Thank you Tony, as well as everyone! I'm guessing the +P's will likely be the high end of power that will allow quick follow-ups and good control in a small gun such as this.

As soon as I am able to drive, (recovering from surgery) I'll be picking up the Kahr from my local gun pusher.

Thanks again, range report as soon as I can get there !

BTW - I found mags for this for $10 @ www.44mag.com (received in two days!) and a DeSantis Nemesis from www.newyorkironworks.com for $17.
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member

I've done some range testing with the CW9. My handloads are a bit too weak to reliably cycle the slide; got several FTF's. The +P GDHP's work WONDERFULLY ! A VERY accurate round and controllable for double and even triple-taps.

The Kahr is a pretty sweet shooter. The POA was POI at 7 to 10 yards without any sight adjustment or compensation. It likes the 124 gr. +P GDHP's very much and that is what I will be carrying and doing further practice with. So far only 50 GDHP's down the tube, but I think the verdict is in.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by dino92g; June 10th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Not to long ago I read an interview by Mas Ayoob with the owner of Kahr, Mr Moon (he is the son of the infamous Rev Moon). I am pasting the link to the interview and also the comments of Mr Moon on +P ammo.

"Moon: According to our instruction manual we recommend only high- quality factory ammunition of the proper caliber. The Kahr 9mm can handle [plus]P loads and in the Kahr .40 S&W we recommend regular pressure, high-quality factory ammunition. "

http://www.rickross.com/reference/unif/unif166.html (This is the link to the article and interview.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I carry a Kahr CW9 with Corbon DPX 115 gr +P. I emailed sales and customer service at Kahr and both answers were - all Kahr pistols are OK to use +P. Took about three days for them to reply. Did not ask about +P+.

I do not pratice with +P in my weapon. I feel it beats the weapon fairly heavy to use all the time. I use the "Wally-Mart" $11.80 a box of a hundred Winchester target load. Only run Corbon DPX once in a while. The blooming stuff cost a fortune.

Email Kahr customer service, yourself, to be 100% sure.

Mark

Steve - Thank you for the article link. It was very interesting.

Mark - I did email them but she was on vacation and never got back to me.

I don't intend at all to use +P+ in the Kahr. The +P will do the trick and is still plenty controllable and accurate. When I say "practice" with the +P, I mean become proficient and confident enough with it to justify it being used for carry. Regular range time will be with WWB or equivalent reloads.

Thanks again all.
    Regards,
    Dino

-NRA Member
    -IDPA Member
    -IHMSA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links