Lesson for Ammo testing

This is a discussion on Lesson for Ammo testing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range for my normal practicing; some days I donít shoot to bad, most of the time Iím just mediocre, and it ...

Thread: Lesson for Ammo testing

Lesson for Ammo testing

I went to the range for my normal practicing; some days I donít shoot to bad, most of the time Iím just mediocre, and it seems like so many times I just truly suck. Oh well.

I decided I wanted to try some of my home defense ammo that I had. I had recently read an article that for the best loads for the Glock 17, which is the pistol that I was using. The author claimed that the best load for his Glock 17 was the 9mm +P 115gr DPX. I had some of those plus I had some 124gr Hydra-Shok ammo. I have sighted this pistol to shoot point of aim using the Federal 115gr FMJ. For my practice ammo I have shot the Winchester white box, Blazer Brass 115gr, Remington 115gr, and the Federal 115gr and have not really noticed any particular accuracy or reliability differences.

So for my experiment I was using my Glock 17 shooting standing using both hands shooting at 10 yds. So with the DPX I did not have any trouble with functioning in by G17 but the grouping was not that great and the point of impact was nowhere near the practice ammo poi was. I then tried the Hydra-Shok and was really surprised with the difference. The 124gr Hydra-Shok was shooting to the same POI as my 115gr practice ammo and the grouping was considerable better than with the DPX. There was though a lot more muzzle flash with the Hydra-shok then with any of the other ammo I had.

This was not a real scientific test it was just some dork with his G17 standing blasting away at a target 10 yards away using both hands.

This is in no way criticizing the DPX ammo it just was not the best in my G17 for accuracy. The lesson I did come away with is that each gun has its own idiosyncrasies and that I need to do a lot more testing with my defense rounds and maybe pay a little more attention to the practice ammo as well. I have posted this in a couple of other forums that I frequent if you run across this diatribe.
    My collection: Glock G34, G34OD, G17, G26, G26; Ruger KP90; Ruger Blackhawk .357mag; Ruger Standard Auto; Sig P6; Colt Lawman MKIII .357 snub; S&W 642; Hawes Montana Marshal .44mag

2. Remove Ads

The lesson I did come away with is that each gun has its own idiosyncrasies and that I need to do a lot more testing with my defense rounds and maybe pay a little more attention to the practice ammo as well.
    I couldn't agree more; what works in my Glock 17, in my hands, may work completely different than your G17 in your hands...

Which is why I've always been a proponent of testing one's carry ammo before deciding it's good to go.

Great post!
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

It's great to experiment with other ammo's to see what is the best for you. Sounds like you've started working the direction of what's best for you. I personally use 180 Gr. winchester bonded pdxi in my G27 and it works great for me. Sounds like your moving in the right direction.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Links