Fiocchi and water

This is a discussion on Fiocchi and water within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey I dropped a round of my Fiocchi 45 ACP FMJ in a puddle and it took my about a minute to find it. Is ...

Thread: Fiocchi and water

Fiocchi and water

Hey I dropped a round of my Fiocchi 45 ACP FMJ in a puddle and it took my about a minute to find it. Is the round dead or possibly a misfire?
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

Unless it is somehow a defect from the factory it should not be compromised in any way.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Its fine -- I would shoot it the next time i went to the range

Thanks to both of you. I figured it would be okay, but I was curious. havegunjoe, I love your avatar!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Hey I dropped a round of my Fiocchi 45 ACP FMJ in a puddle and it took my about a minute to find it. Is the round dead or possibly a misfire?
    You could leave your ammo in a bucket of water for months and it will have ZERO effect upon the ammo.

Same deal for finger oil, WD-40, etc. It's been proven time and time again that such substances do not get inside ammo and damage anything.

Ammo is NOT fragile.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    You could leave your ammo in a bucket of water for months and it will have ZERO effect upon the ammo.

Same deal for finger oil, WD-40, etc. It's been proven time and time again that such substances do not get inside ammo and damage anything.

Ammo is NOT fragile.
    I'd like to see the tests you're referring to that shows that water and oils have no effect on ammo.

I know first hand that Remington 9mm when dropped in water can cause it not to fire. In order for it to survive, it has to be sealed both at the bullet and the primer.

While most personal defense ammo is sealed the majority of target ammo is not.

Before I'd make a blanket statement that submersion in water would not hurt the ammo or cause it to be less reliable I'd check with the manufacturer.

I'd sure not rely on it for PD. Range and target yes but not in the everyday carry.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I'd like to see the tests you're referring to that shows that water and oils have no effect on ammo.
    for oil/wd-40, take a look at The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

I know first hand that Remington 9mm when dropped in water can cause it not to fire. In order for it to survive, it has to be sealed both at the bullet and the primer.

Sorry, I don't believe a word of it.

The joint between primer and bullet and case is so tight water would have to be exerted under pressure to get any of it inside the case.

Even if water did get in, water will not have any effect upon modern powders. You can dump powder in a bucket of water, dry it out and it works just fine. I've demonstrated it more than once.

Before I'd make a blanket statement that submersion in water would not hurt the ammo or cause it to be less reliable I'd check with the manufacturer.
    Been there; done that years ago. Never had a one say their ammo would be destroyed by getting the ammo wet, even if submerged. NO manufacturer is going to make ammo that fragile. Simply doesn't happen.

Old black powder, yes; modern ammo, nope.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    ... In order for it to survive, it has to be sealed both at the bullet and the primer.

I just checked my ammo supply. I have handgun ammo from Winchester, Federal, Speer, Remington and CCI. The Golden Saber and SilverTip have a colored lacquer on the primers. The HydraShok and Black Talon have none, as do none of the others. None have any kind of sealant on the case mouth. The only ammo I have ever seen with case mouth sealant is military issue.

The overwhelming majority of ammo is not sealed in any way, because it's unnecessary. There's not an ammo manufacturer in existence that is going to sell ammo that can be disabled by it falling into water, sealant or not.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Anybody with wet ammo, send it to me for testing. It's for the children.

Warning to the adventurous: Do not construe the claims on this thread to suggest that you actually FIRE the ammo underwater.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links