Ammo Supplies Coming Back

This is a discussion on Ammo Supplies Coming Back within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped in a gun store that I frequent when I visit customers in that particular area of the state. I'm looking for a deer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Supplies Coming Back

Ammo Supplies Coming Back

I stopped in a gun store that I frequent when I visit customers in that particular area of the state. I'm looking for a deer rifle and I thought I would check out the ammo shelf. They had all kinds of ammo. I bought a 100 rounds of JHPs and 100 rounds of target ammo for my 9mm. When I was checking out the clerk commented on how nice is was to get ammo again. We had a small chat about the 2A and on my merry way I went.

2. Remove Ads

AMEN!!!

You only bought 200 rounds?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Except for .380, there's no particular ammo shortage here, except for WalMart. Most of the gun stores, including Cabelas, are pretty well stocked.

One dealer had a sale last month on 9mm Blazer Brass for $10/box. They had over 150,000 rounds of the stuff.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Glad to see someones got a steady supply of ammo. Hasn't changed much here and I buy from every distributor on the planet.

Here is some .380 - sorry for the price though

Quote Originally Posted by TDSUS View Post
    Glad to see someones got a steady supply of ammo. Hasn't changed much here and I buy from every distributor on the planet.

Here is some .380 - sorry for the price though
    Maybe the traditional anti-gun states are getting preference.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I stopped in a gun store that I frequent when I visit customers in that particular area of the state. I'm looking for a deer rifle and I thought I would check out the ammo shelf. They had all kinds of ammo. I bought a 100 rounds of JHPs and 100 rounds of target ammo for my 9mm. When I was checking out the clerk commented on how nice is was to get ammo again. We had a small chat about the 2A and on my merry way I went.
    Ammo supply is still sparse. You were lucky to get there. Most popular ammo goes quickly.

9mm and .45 auto is not too difficult to find. .380 is more difficult.

Why, We are at war. All ammo makers are running NATO lines and other Cals. needed, .380 is not one of them.

Millions of rounds must go to the military first.

Manufactures recognize a need to keep gun stores and ranges in business but we take a second to military needs, as we should.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Except for .380, there's no particular ammo shortage here, except for WalMart. Most of the gun stores, including Cabelas, are pretty well stocked.

One dealer had a sale last month on 9mm Blazer Brass for $10/box. They had over 150,000 rounds of the stuff.
    Wow. I don't have a 9mm right now, but I would have picked up plenty of that for the future.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Went to a local Wal-Mart that was LOADED with 9mm. I don't shoot 9mm, but they also had plenty of .45 ACP Federal FMJ rounds.

Still waiting for some JHP...
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Wow. I don't have a 9mm right now, but I would have picked up plenty of that for the future.
    Guns and ammo are commodities. While there is a shortage, there is also less demand so you might find most of what you are looking for now.

Beware of Cabalas. Much of what they have been selling is re manufactured. Reloads.

Not that is bad ammo but reloads will void the warranty on many guns.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My local Wal Mart is still having problems getting handgun ammo. I can usually find what I need at a local Dick's Sporting Goods store, but the prices are very high compared to B.O. (before obama) days.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Beware of Cabalas. Much of what they have been selling is re manufactured. Reloads.
    What do you base that statement on? Are you intimating they are putting reloaded ammo into factory boxes?

Any remanufactured ammo has to be clearly marked as such! The only remanufactured ammo I have seen on their shelves here is UltraMax, and it is clearly marked as such. Everything else is the standard brands, and it is factory-fresh.

As for voiding warranties, who cares; tell that to the thousands of shooters who reload and see if they give a hoot.

VIP Member
    What do you base that statement on? Are you intimating they are putting reloaded ammo into factory boxes?

Any remanufactured ammo has to be clearly marked as such! The only remanufactured ammo I have seen on their shelves here is UltraMax, and it is clearly marked as such. Everything else is the standard brands, and it is factory-fresh.

As for voiding warranties, who cares; tell that to the thousands of shooters who reload and see if they give a hoot.
    It is more a matter of buyer beware.

My wife thoutht she was dong me a favor buying me "Remanufactured" rounds of 9mm and .45 auto. These are reloads that this retail chain sells at near retail prices. I don't recall who the manufacture was on the box but I immediately canceled the order.

It does matter what you put through your gun should you ever need to return it to the factory.

I shoot target rounds but also match grade.

What you do with you gun is up to you. I just state the facts.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    It is more a matter of buyer beware.

My wife thoutht she was dong me a favor buying me "Remanufactured" rounds of 9mm and .45 auto. These are reloads that this retail chain sells at near retail prices. I don't recall who the manufacture was on the box but I immediately canceled the order.

It does matter what you put through your gun should you ever need to return it to the factory.

I shoot target rounds but also match grade.

What you do with you gun is up to you. I just state the facts.
    With all due respect, that not quite the same thing as your original statement. I understand what you're saying now but the way your statement came across was that Cabelas was selling reloads as new ammo.

That your wife doesn't know the difference is not Cabelas' fault. I'm not sure mine does, either.

FWIW, UltraMax is one of the better commercial reloading companies. My only gripe with them is they are almost as expensive as "fresh" ammo, as you have noted. It's not just Cabelas' pricing, though. Every store I have seen it in has it for essentially the same, too-high, price.

As for returning a gun to the factory, I have never worried about defending what I put into my guns. I have put far, far more of my handloads through my guns than I have ever put "fresh" ammo through them. I have had issues with two guns over the years that necessitated a return for repairs and the issue of what I shot through them never came up.

The "prohibition" against handloads/reloads is a CYA issue for the manufacturer, nothing more.

VIP Member
    With all due respect, that not quite the same thing as your original statement. I understand what you're saying now but the way your statement came across was that Cabelas was selling reloads as new ammo.

That your wife doesn't know the difference is not Cabelas' fault. I'm not sure mine does, either.

FWIW, UltraMax is one of the better commercial reloading companies. My only gripe with them is they are almost as expensive as "fresh" ammo, as you have noted. It's not just Cabelas' pricing, though. Every store I have seen it in has it for essentially the same, too-high, price.

As for returning a gun to the factory, I have never worried about defending what I put into my guns. I have put far, far more of my handloads through my guns than I have ever put "fresh" ammo through them. I have had issues with two guns over the years that necessitated a return for repairs and the issue of what I shot through them never came up.

The "prohibition" against handloads/reloads is a CYA issue for the manufacturer, nothing more.
    With all due respect to you, this is only my opinion. I am not targeting any store from trying to do business in this tough economy.

I just think the buyer needs to be aware. Consumer protection laws are a joke.

Please understand that while I sell reloading equipment, I don't reload myself. I know this probably seems like hypocrisy on my part but not really.

I don't care how or what one shoots if that is what you choose to do. I only try to point out the facts, the same as I do when someone wants to by product from me.
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links