Ammo Storage Reccomendation

This is a discussion on Ammo Storage Reccomendation within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How about Damp Rid They have a variety of sizes and applications, this link to one ideally suited to our needs. You can order it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Storage Reccomendation

How about Damp Rid
    They have a variety of sizes and applications, this link to one ideally suited to our needs.
    You can order it online, but it may be cheaper at a local retailer.

Another side note, if you buy the big sizes, it makes AWESOME ice-melt in the winter.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    How about Damp Rid
    They have a variety of sizes and applications, this link to one ideally suited to our needs.
    For what? Unless you are storing ammo and powder in an area where the humidity is constantly over about 70 percent, it's unnecessary, although it won't hurt.

If the area is air conditioned, it's really unnecessary.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    What is the best method of storing ammo to keep it dry and to preserve shelf life?
    FYI, the "shelf life" of ammunition is measured in decades, not months or years. Stuff that I loaded 30 years ago shoots just like stuff I loaded last week.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    FYI, the "shelf life" of ammunition is measured in decades, not months or years. Stuff that I loaded 30 years ago shoots just like stuff I loaded last week.
    I've been told the same thing. If stored in a cool dry place.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

About two weeks ago, I pulled out some Remington .38 Special ammo that I've stored in a .50 cal ammo can along with a desiccant bag for about 13 years. Every round fired OK.

Don't waste your money buying small quantities of silica gel. Go get a bag of non-scented kitty litter pearls. They look like small white translucent beads. Any pet store has them. A ten pound bag is like $10. Put a pound or two in a metal tray and bake it in the oven for about 45-60 minutes at a very low heat...maybe 200-250 degrees. This will drive any moisture off and you will be left with many pounds of a great desiccant. You can make your own sacks out of rags, socks, plastic containers or even knotted up pantyhose sections! A word of caution though...if you knock the tray over you will be finding these little devils all over the kitchen for at least the next year.

I get my silica gel from McMaster-Carr, the blue crystals that turns pink when it's expired - about 15 bucks for a pound, which would last a long time.
    I use about a tablespoon of it in a packet folded out of a coffee filter, and put it in the army surplus ammo cans I store my ammo in.

Those cans are great - I have yet to have to change a gel packet; they stay blue forever in there.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links