Caliber Wars are over for me - Page 4

Caliber Wars are over for me

This is a discussion on Caliber Wars are over for me within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if you need to register to see this, but check post #226... Warrior Talk Forums...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caliber Wars are over for me

Not sure if you need to register to see this, but check post #226...

Warrior Talk Forums
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Not sure if you need to register to see this, but check post #226...

Warrior Talk Forums
    It asks for a username and password, i.e., registration is required.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum, peaceful. I think you'll at least find that you're not alone in some of the experiences that you've had. 'Some very seasoned law enforcement and war vets here.

My take is this: the .45 vs 9mm is not about, and has never been about which one is more effective, because as other posters have said they all work if placed properly; it boils down to pure, simple fire discipline. we used to laugh about the high-capacity guns that started appearing in 1990 when the first STI prototypes began showing up, because the guys using them were spraying bullets everywhere, and wondering why their scores were dropping. Inevitably, the cure was to go shoot the single-stack for a couple of matches to get back in the habit of being accurate, and things tended to clear up.

I was even guilty of it myself when I made the jump to full-house open guns in 1993, shortly after earning the coveted "M" card (which isn't worth the paper its printed on in my opinion). And again, switching back to the single stack cured this affliction after a couple of matches. Since most 9mm pistols are high capacity models, the same applies. I can't tell you how many guys I watch at IDPA matches do the same thing, even with 10 rounds in the gun it is the same.

So exercise fire discipline above all. Just because you have more rounds doesn't guarantee anything at all except that you have more opportunities to miss unless you pay attention to your sights and get the job done.

As we used to say in the good old days: you can't miss fast enough to win.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Very true - I placed fairly well in my first-ever pistol competition a few years ago (a GSSF match). I was amazed to see folks blasting away...but not hitting anything. At the plates stage, I hit all six plates fairly quickly with only six shots needed. The timekeeper remarked "We have a ringer here."

Good post!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    For economic and convenience reasons I have consolidated all my carry guns to 9mm. I recently traded my .40 PPS for a 9mm PPS (now I have two) and my G27 was fitted with a new 9mm barrel and new mags thus turning it into a G26. I even built a 9mm AR and plan to build another as soon as finances permit. I am also a big fan of .22LR and have a nice collection of those as well...I believe in the 9mm being an adequate SD round and it is cheap and fun to shoot too.

For the big stuff I still keep a .270 in the safe and I am looking at a .338 Lapua Magnum to round out the heavy hitter collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I am also a big fan of .22LR and have a nice collection of those as well...
    Me too! Ive been looking into getting a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt for AR.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeEric View Post
    Me too! Ive been looking into getting a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt for AR.
    Get the Spikes Tactical .22 kit or their complete .22 dedicated upper www.spikestactical.com

Theirs is electroless nickel finish and is very slick and doesn't need to run so sloppy wet to function.

Get the Spikes Tactical .22 kit or their complete .22 dedicated upper www.spikestactical.com

Theirs is electroless nickel finish and is very slick and doesn't need to run so sloppy wet to function.
    Didn't want to hi-jack the thread...so I PM'd you

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    So exercise fire discipline above all. Just because you have more rounds doesn't guarantee anything at all except that you have more opportunities to miss unless you pay attention to your sights and get the job done.
    Wise words right there.

For me, I split the difference between .45acp size and 9mm capacity and now carry .40sw. I don't have issues with any of these 3 calibers in recoil and my shots are accurate and followup shots are fast for me. I'm not a master marksman, but I do well enough for defense and get better with every range trip.

Remember folks: "Speed is Fine, Accuracy is Final." to quote VickersTactical
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

AS soon as the money comes available I am planning on purchasing an AR platform in .40 S&W that takes Glock mags. This is to complement my G-23, G-22 and G35

Olympic Arms, Inc. - K40-GL - Pistol Cal 40 S&W, Glock® Lower

Now that, my friend, is one fine looking home defense carbine.

/end threadjack
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The caliber war ended a long ago for me. It's .45 for semi-auto & .357 for revolver, the choice was easy.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    No wars for me....I shoot all my .38's, .357's and 9's equally....carry them all.....shoot them all. No problems.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links