Defensive Carry banner

Do you think this was a Hot Load?

6K views 49 replies 41 participants last post by  stevem174 
#1 ·
I sure hope he had is "eyes and ears on"!

See less See more
#26 ·
+1

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

#4 ·
The cartridge on the top was the hot load that inadvertently ignited the cartridge at the bottom. What amazes me is the bottom cartridge's bullet didn't go down range as well, or at the very least, didnt do additional damage.

#9 ·
Looks like a fragmentation grenade. Couldn't even image being the one to let the hammer fall on that!

#12 ·
No kidding!!! My brother in law sent this to me a couple days ago. I think it was one of his buddy's. I asked him via email but he hasn't responded yet.

#10 ·
When they say " The gun blew up in his face" , this is what they're talking about.

#13 ·
(1) firing multiple grossly over-pressure rounds

(2) firing normal rounds in a gun that has been subjected to above

(3) firing normal rounds in a gun with a defective cylinder.

Number three is the least likely cause.

#14 ·
Wow, Yes I'd say a very hot round. Was that a 357 or 44 Mag? As powerful as those are even at +p I can't imagine having anything hotter!!

#16 ·
I just got off the phone with my brother-n-law. He said the caliber was a .357 mag and the guy reloads all the time. This was NOT factory ammo!

I reload all the time...but i never exceed the recommended charge (according to my charts).

Not that it makes a difference...but this all happened at a gun club in NJ.

#23 ·
You read my mind. :hand10:

It sounds more like a "defective reloader" than a defective S&W product.

I'm talking about the person, not the actual reloading tools and supplies.

Biker

#20 ·
Yeah, those Smith & Wesson Revolvers are known for "KABOOMS"! :rofl:

#24 ·
It looks like this person was real good about cleaning and inspecting his firearm.
My guess is a hot load, and more than one, and that should have shown up as some significant wear on the backstrap near the forcing cone. Somebody that ignorant really doesn't deserve a nice Smith & Wesson like that one was at one time.:frown:

#25 ·
My brother had this happen with a .44mag once. it wasn't quite as bad as the top strap over the cylinder was severely bowed up but still there.The one in the chamber blew and two other followed. Everyone there just kind of stopped...................then started looking at the gun to see what happened. No injuries, and no wet pants. It was just a very strange/unusual sound.

#39 ·
This is what can happen when you don't measure powder correctly or possibly use the wrong powder. It's a S & W 629.

So, what are the details, in this instance? Got a link with details? Was this a reload? Was this mistaken powder measurement?

#33 ·
Buh buh buttt S&W makes junk guns and they didn't offer to be 'nice guys' and replace the gun no questions asked!
Besides they made the Sigma and it was 'junk', everybody says so, so therefore ALL of their products are junk as was this gun!

- The Internet

P.S. - The above is entirely tongue in cheek, and is not to be taken seriously by anyone. ;)

#35 ·
I am always amazed when I see these pictures just how safe revolvers are. That thing had a catastrophic failure that mimicked a bomb. Yet the shooter presumably retained all of their fingers, both eyes, and most of their blood. revolvers blow strait up. Not out, not back, not down, but up.

It always just amazes me that when a revolver turns into a bomb in your hand, they are designed to blow up (relatively) safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.