Defensive Carry banner

Recommendation Needed: Ammo for P239 .40S&W

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  GoodyFH 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Well, I'm finally getting my hands on the P239 .40S&W that I have coveted for the last few months.

Now I need a recommendation from folks regarding ammo to feed the beast. Range ammo is one thing, but I want to hear opinions on what I should load my magazines with for self defense use as my daily carry.

I'm not sure if there are any ammo restrictions, but if it matters I am a Florida resident.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I use Winchester Ranger T 180gr (RA40T). I would also not hesitate to use Federal HST 180gr, or Speer Gold Dot 180gr.

Tactical Defense Solutions has all 3 in stock. The HST is larger expanding, but I ordered the Rangers before the HST became available. All about $30 per box of 50.

You could pick a load off the list at Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo and be ok

In Florida you have no restrictions on ammo.

Reactions: Ranger45
#4 ·
The reason I chose the Ranger over the Gold Dot was because I don't anticipate shooting through barriers which is where the Gold Dot shines. I'm not an LEO so I don't ever forsee having to make a shot through a car window for example. The Rangers seemed to expand better in typical defense situations (bare ballistic gel and covered gel). The HST outclasses both in expansion and holds together well through barriers, but since the Gold Dot is bonded, it will always be the better choice for that situation (rare/never).

#5 ·
#7 ·
Both are junk and there's much info about them and how the manufacturer is/was unwilling to provide any for testing to Dr. Roberts who is a very respected ballistics expert. The short of it is, don't waste your time.

If you ook it up on The Boxotruth they do some tests and the claims the manufacturer makes are all proven false. Poor penetration to reach vitals on a BG was the main concern.

#6 ·
I carry Federal HST in my P229 with no problems. I would seriously consider the Winchester Ranger load if I had some in .40S&W. I do carry Ranger in a .45 when I carry one (most of the time).

Be Safe,

NosaM

#8 ·
There are many good SD loads available in .40S&W from just about all the manufacturers. Despite all the manufacturer's hype and advertising, as well as dozens of conflicting "real life" tests, just about any of the JHP rounds will do nicely for SD carry.

The most important thing is 100 percent reliability in your particular firearm.

The second most important thing is accuracy in your particular firearm.

After that, as someone has said, everything else is angels dancing on the head of a pin.

I have Federal HydraShok, Remington Golden Saber and Winchester Black Talon and feel confident with any of them in my PT140.

BTW, I am in complete agreement with cmdrdredd's opinion of the DRT and Extreme Shock products. I'm not willing to risk my life on the stuff.

#9 ·
HydraShock and Black Talon rounds are the ones that my Dad has been putting through his Sig for years, those are probably what I'll go with. Thanks for the great link CMDR it seems like their prices for 50 are similar to what other places charge for 20. Awesome.

#10 ·
The 50 round boxes are LE boxed. The civilian market only gets 20 round boxes. It stands to reason, they can make more money off 20 round boxes. There's no law telling you that you cannot buy the LE rounds, it's just the manufacturer's decision.

BTW: The Black Talons are no longer made, that is to say they are not black. The Winchester Ranger T rounds (not the bonded) are the newest generation of the same bullet design. It has had some slight changes made to it throughout the years. Call it upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.