Hornady Personal Defense - Page 3

Hornady Personal Defense

This is a discussion on Hornady Personal Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GoldenLoki.com FWIW...some tests, including CD and my current carry round, EFMJ. I can't seem to find the 124 gr EFMJ anywhere, so I got some ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hornady Personal Defense

GoldenLoki.com

FWIW...some tests, including CD and my current carry round, EFMJ.

I can't seem to find the 124 gr EFMJ anywhere, so I got some CD. May try it tomorrow. Given how pointy it is, it should feed in my G26 just fine.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Lots of defense ammo is hard to find. Especially in .45acp and 9mm. Hard to be picky with those calibers anymore.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    why would you be biased @ Hornady?

if the Dr. had a dought about the legitimate details of the replacement ammo, why would he test it as vailid? if you cant accept the validity of the ammo how can you accept the validity of the Dr.'s testing?

He should have not allowed the company to send ammo IMO, although probably didn't want to buy a box or 2 from retail and accepted the free replacements for testing. This is just my opinion of how a test should be conducted. I am extremely picky, coming from an IT background with hand picked review samples that give results that one will not necessarily find off the shelf. It's obvious that Dr. Roberts gave them the benefit of the doubt here, just as he did with Winchester and their Ranger Bonded .45acp load that clogged in the heavy clothing tests. He reviewed another sample from a different lot that had different results. Hand picked sample? Simply a bad lot? We may never know really.

To be fair all ammo can have bad lots, it does happen. Winchester, Federal, Remington etc can all have a bad QC day.

or .40S&W?

:)
    The .40sw version of this ammo is not in the market and the 9mm variant is still very new as compared to HST, Ranger T and others. I'm sure eventually someone will put it to the test, but I do believe that other manufacturers are a bit more pressing when it comes to getting test data out there so they can get those contracts from law enforcement agencies.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Lots of defense ammo is hard to find. Especially in .45acp and 9mm. Hard to be picky with those calibers anymore.

hee,hee,
    any port in a storm mate!

How could you look at the GoldenLoki results and decide that the Hornady CD is the way to go?

The Hornady CD had some of the most anemic expansion results and stiff failed to penetrate as deeply as most of the premium brand ammunition. Even the reloaded Georgia Arms and old-tech Starfires went as deep and expanded better.

If I had to make an informed choice from that data, I would choose the two larger Cor Bon loads or the Remington Golden Sabers.

Your job is to place the bullet accurately... A self-defense bullets job is to penetrate bigger and expand larger. Wouldn't you expect the latest and most advanced bullet to be the top in class in at least one of its tasks?

As I see the GoldenLoki results, the Golden Saber gets an A+ with expansion and a B+ with penetration. The two larger Cor Bon's get an A with expansion and A+ with penetration. The Hornady CD got a C- at best with the both expansion and penetration. I won't even grade the non-expanding bullets, as they are one-trick-ponies.

Hey! Maybe that is what Hornady CD REALLY means. A bullet that grades somewhere between a C and a D.

As always... Shoot what you want.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I don't know how to respond to gglass, but I would like to note that that testing is incomplete. No results for Ranger T 147gr and the Gold Dot 124gr +p among others.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I agree that the testing is woefully incomplete, but then again I did not offer it as evidence that Hornady CD is something special. I merely tried to make sense of the data provided.

I would also reiterate that it would be pretty hard to make a case for the superiority of Hornady CD from the results of the GoldenLoki testing. It faired alright, but it did not stand out in any significant way.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Given today's ammo situation for 9mm defense rounds, I would probably give everything readily available a fair look. Obviously if I found some HST, Ranger T, or Gold Dots I would get those before other options. However, I think that if I were buying today I would not be so choosy. I just did a quick search on the usual places and honestly did not find much outside of gunbroker which was a bit more expensive than I would like. Granted I was looking for the 50 round boxes.
    -Thomas Jefferson

i have never seen Hornady centerfire in 50rd. packages. you may find other brands loaded with Hornady bullets in 50rd.

ya, they are not the cheapest ammo you can get.

i have never seen Hornady centerfire in 50rd. packages. you may find other brands loaded with Hornady bullets in 50rd.

ya, they are not the cheapest ammo you can get.

I was referring to the others(HST, Ranger T, Gold Dot). They are available in 50 round boxes, but in 9mm cannot be found.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Well, the CD worked just fine in my G26.

Not the best penetration or expansion, true...but the idea is that it is supposed to expand almost all the time, despite thick clothing.

As I said before, most self defense ammo will do the job if you do yours. No need to over think things...especially when ANY ammo is still so hard to get.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    It's funny how not long ago people reasoned they'd get a 9 or a 45 over a 40 because "when the SHTF there will be plenty of ammo around because these are the most common calibers"

Heh - we found out that thinking turned out to way off...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links