Hornady Personal Defense

Hornady Personal Defense

This is a discussion on Hornady Personal Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to locate some Hornady Personal Defense 40S&W 180grain ammo. Everywhere I look, they are sold out of it. I want to buy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Personal Defense

Hornady Personal Defense

I am trying to locate some Hornady Personal Defense 40S&W 180grain ammo. Everywhere I look, they are sold out of it. I want to buy some to keep in my open carry gun as I only have FMJ right now. Anyone know of anywhere that has this ammo in stock?

Are you dead set on Hornady? IMO and the opinion of ballistics experts there are many better options.

ammunitiontogo.com has the Hornady TAP CQ 180gr ammo in stock. 20 rounds for $16.95
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I'm not a fan of the whole Critical Defense thing because it's not designed to FBI spec.

You want JHP for your gun? Here:

Ammo, Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, 9mm Ammo, Military Surplus

Are you dead set on Hornady? IMO and the opinion of ballistics experts there are many better options.
    Everyone should switch to Hornady. That will leave more Gold Dots Ranger T's and HST's on the shelf for me.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    Everyone should switch to Hornady. That will leave more Gold Dots Ranger T's and HST's on the shelf for me.
    YES!!!

Yes.

I changed my mind. Hornady is it. Use Hornady!!!

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I did a little searching online and came up with mostly good reviews. I don't suppose you have any links to the differing opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I did a little searching online and came up with mostly good reviews. I don't suppose you have any links to the differing opinions?
    Well, it just so happens that I have a link to Dr. Gary Roberts who is a very well respected ballistics expert who's job it is to test various bullet designs and ballistic vests etc. He has a page that lists his top picks for the best self defense ammo choices for each handgun caliber. If it's not on the list he doesn't recommend it because it did not meet his and the FBI's requirements for whatever reason. A round must pass a series of tests in calibrated ballistic gel in order to be on his recommendation list. Believe me he tests everything. He has regular updates on AR15.com

Anyway, it's here. Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Also here where a .38spl Hornady Critical Defense load failed to expand when fired through 4 layers of denim. BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Can't find ammo, the manufacturers allegedly can't keep up with the demand, makes one wonder what's cooking and should I leave the planet...best bet is a heavy gun that you can use as a club...reminds me of the USMC rules for a gunfight guidelines...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Well, it just so happens that I have a link to Dr. Gary Roberts who is a very well respected ballistics expert who's job it is to test various bullet designs and ballistic vests etc. He has a page that lists his top picks for the best self defense ammo choices for each handgun caliber. If it's not on the list he doesn't recommend it because it did not meet his and the FBI's requirements for whatever reason.
    there was a follow up on the .38sp and it peformed much better,also 4 other .38 rounds failed to expand as well. there is a good reason the Hornady CD in .40S&W is not on his list. its not available yet to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by stoprilshoot; October 15th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Pick a round that:

1. Feeds reliably in your pistol;

2. Penetrates 12-15 inches in gel tests; and

3. Reliably expands (understanding that none are 100%).

Low recoil, low flash, corrosion resistance, and crimped cases to resist setback are also good features.

Beyond that, they will all work. In one test, a certain bullet may be marginally better. In another test, you will see a different result. You can overthink this and make yourself crazy!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Beyond that, they will all work. In one test, a certain bullet may be marginally better. In another test, you will see a different result. You can overthink this and make yourself crazy!
    Truer words were never spoken!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Well, it just so happens that I have a link to Dr. Gary Roberts who is a very well respected ballistics expert who's job it is to test various bullet designs and ballistic vests etc.
    Cool - thanks for the links!

[quote =cmdrdredd;1336039 ]Also here where a .38spl Hornady Critical Defense load failed to expand when fired through 4 layers of denim. BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums[/QUOTE]

I thought the whole idea of the Critical Defense was to prevent clogging so it would expand. That test seems to show differently. I would really like to see more tests of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Cool - thanks for the links!

[quote =cmdrdredd;1336039 ]Also here where a .38spl Hornady Critical Defense load failed to expand when fired through 4 layers of denim. BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums
    I thought the whole idea of the Critical Defense was to prevent clogging so it would expand. That test seems to show differently. I would really like to see more tests of that...
    There was a follow up report in which Dr. Roberts allowed Hornady to submit another batch of FTX (hand picked if you ask me). It miraculously worked in the second round of testing. I'm sure that somebody will be right along with a link to the more successful testing.

As for me, I'll wait until Hornady hand picks every bullet in the box before I'll buy it.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I want to let you know, at the risk of being flamed, that if you are shooting any caliber less powerful than the 9mm/.38 Special (for self defense) should never employ expanding bullets. The reasons for this are:

a) slower moving bullets may not reliably expand;

b) "putting the brakes" on slower moving projectiles will almost certainly prevent the penetration needed to acheive the desired results.

"Shot placement is king, penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins." - Erich Martel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links