Winchester 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ - Page 2

Winchester 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ

This is a discussion on Winchester 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty For Information purposes,once you buy ammunition and leave the store,they will not take it back,even if it looks like it wasn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    For Information purposes,once you buy ammunition and leave the store,they will not take it back,even if it looks like it wasn't opened.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    No manufacturer is going to produce and sell ammunition that is "prone to failure or damage or malfunctions..."
    Well I've heard certain pistols seem to dislike certain ammuntions... (I believe I've read that several places on here and other sites.) I figured it couldn't hurt to ask and get some feedback.

Swung by Walmart again and they had another 100 round box. The lady said they get shipments daily, but they get what they get, so it's a surprise every time. Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Good to know. Thanks.

Well I've heard certain pistols seem to dislike certain ammuntions... (I believe I've read that several places on here and other sites.) I figured it couldn't hurt to ask and get some feedback.

Swung by Walmart again and they had another 100 round box. The lady said they get shipments daily, but they get what they get, so it's a surprise every time. Thanks again everyone.
    Well, that failure is usually a JHP round that the pistol does not want to feed properly. The other failure is an undercharged load. Sometimes a load will have an insufficient powder charge so that it would not have enough "oomph" to cycle the slide properly and eject. That could happen with any ammo. FMJ or JHP. Most of the time though, I'd say close to 99% any factory fresh FMJ ammo (not reloads) will always work as intended.

I'm sure there's other possible failures but these are the ones I've experienced thus far.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

WWB goes bang in my gun every time, although it is a Glock 19...

Great practice ammo, and I'm sure it would be a better SD bullet than nothin'

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Both daughters have Taurus 27 pro's. One is standard the other a compact and both guns eat up the WW white box. It does seem to be full power compared to .40 and .45 in the FMJ white box line up.

That's the pistol's problem, not the ammo's.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Winchester 9mm LUGER 115 gr. FMJ.

This is the only 9mm the local walmart has in stock, and so I was wondering if anyone would recommend it for target practice? If not, why?

(Using it in my XD9sc)

Thanks in advance.
    Winchester is a clean 9mm projectile and good ammo for target practice. Not only that, It has velocity enough to go through a person, then through a wood door frame, and into a wall beyond. 9mm fmj is not just a target round, It can do some damage.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SIGP250; October 17th, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    It's fine. Shoot it up.
    +1...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Well, that failure is usually a JHP round that the pistol does not want to feed properly. The other failure is an undercharged load. Sometimes a load will have an insufficient powder charge so that it would not have enough "oomph" to cycle the slide properly and eject. That could happen with any ammo. FMJ or JHP. Most of the time though, I'd say close to 99% any factory fresh FMJ ammo (not reloads) will always work as intended.

I'm sure there's other possible failures but these are the ones I've experienced thus far.
    That's generally what I've heard... But I figured I'd better ask since I wasn't 100% sure... I didn't know if any companies are known for undercharged or overcharged rounds....

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's the pistol's problem, not the ammo's.
    I gotch ya. I figured it could be a combination of certain ammo manufacturers combined with certain firearm manufacturers... Thanks to everyone for clearning that up.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    winchester white box 9mm is probably the best FMJ on the market.
    I have hundreds of WWB9mm locked away. I wish I had more but most walmarts ran out and started to stock blazer brass, which isnt as clean but runs just as good. I wouldnt hesitate to buy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    winchester white box 9mm is probably the best FMJ on the market.

huh?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    huh?

As a cost effective range ammo on "real world" budgets I think he is right. It is very good stuff. Always reliable, always consistent. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of the stuff and never had a dud round. While I may have premium self-defense rounds in the EDC I also carry WWB FMJ and JHP with confidence.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Shoot up what ya can for practice.....it all works...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

That's generally what I've heard... But I figured I'd better ask since I wasn't 100% sure... I didn't know if any companies are known for undercharged or overcharged rounds....
    That is such a HUGE liability issue, that if it happened, there would be a massive recall of that entire lot of ammo.

Maybe i've been lucky, but in 40 years of shooting I have never had either a squib (weak) load or an overload (EXTREMELY unlikely on factory ammo) from any factory ammo in any caliber. I have had a few .22LR rounds tat needed a second strike, however, although considering the thousands of rounds of .22 that I have shot, the number is statistically insignificant.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links