Should I go back and pick up more?

This is a discussion on Should I go back and pick up more? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, I posted in the WalMart supply thread but wanted to post a seperate question about it. I bought 50 rounds of Federal 180 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I go back and pick up more?

Should I go back and pick up more?

Hey Everyone,

I posted in the WalMart supply thread but wanted to post a seperate question about it. I bought 50 rounds of Federal 180 Grain FMJ FN rounds in 40 S&W for $15.

Simple question: Given the price and ammo availability, should I got back and buy more?

Thanks for the help and advice!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your area. I can get .40 Federal at my wally anytime I need it. They usually have Federal and WWB 50 and 100 round counts every time I stop by the counter. I've bought a box or two each time I'm there and they have plenty of stock until I'm now in great shape. Now if I came across some .380 I might buy the 6 box limit.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

How much ammo do you want to keep "in stock"?

Personally, I try to never get below 500 rounds/caliber.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I see the Federal 40S&W on the shelves here most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I see the Federal 40S&W on the shelves here most of the time.
    +1
    Yes Yes PS if it was 9mm I would go back
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Locally, .40 is the most common thing here, with now .223 also taking up shelf space the last couple of times I've been to walmart.

Depending on how often you see it in stock is my only advice. If you've been seeing it on a fairly common basis, then no, just pick up what you need as you need or want it. But if this is the first time you've seen it there in months, then stock up.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

So it sounds like my choice to go with a .40 caliber gun was a good one... since the ammo seems to be readily available. I'll probably stop back in and snag another 50 rounds since they're only going for $15 and I should be well stocked ammo-wise, but its good to hear they don't seem to be in such short supply.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I'd be buying more...just to save up enough for a 3-4 day class (1500-2000 rounds)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would buy it while it's there. Buy as much as you can afford when you can. Here's why. Prices won't go down, they may go up. Even if you can always find it, you might not always find it for $15/box and that's not bad pricing.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I would load up before the price climbs northward. Walmart ammo has slowly crept up since Nov 2008.

Plus you never know if by some chance you can't find .40sw ammo and the local range is charging $40/box because they have it and know people going to the range need it.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

yes, if you have the $ go buy the limit, then go back and do it again! You won't find it less than that for a long long time to come if ever. I buy one or two boxes of .45 every time I see any at WalMart, which isn't that often anymore. Now it's 19.97/50 just a few weeks ago it was 18.95/50.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Only go back if it was 9mm....it is the hardest to get.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

.40cal is always in stock around here. When the 9mm is there i buy 6. My wife buys 6, and I text everybody I know.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    Only go back if it was 9mm....it is the hardest to get.
    Ever try to find .45acp?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links