147g 9mm out of a sub compact

This is a discussion on 147g 9mm out of a sub compact within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently carrying 124g hydrashocks in my Taurus 709 (Non +p rated). I am looking to change to something a bit more modern. After ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 147g 9mm out of a sub compact

I am currently carrying 124g hydrashocks in my Taurus 709 (Non +p rated). I am looking to change to something a bit more modern. After a bit of research I found a lot of data pointing to Federal 147g HST as a qualit round. My question though (Because I don't know much about ballistics) is this. From what I understand 147g rounds are slower then 115 and 124. Also, generally speaking the shorter the barrel the round is fired from the less velocity you get. Will a 147g round coming out of a 3 inch barrel have sufficent velocity to expand and penetrate?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

um......my NON-technical answer would that I would not want to get hit with ANY of the rounds....and at most any velocity...... however, knowing BG's like I do, I would not think they will care what you shoot them with..... MHO anyway... But they are not very smart are they??

Ok, your question.....I like a 124 grain in a 9mm, just a great all purpose round, quick with good penatration..... a bigger grain without a bigger cal. is not always the best answer....... take that as you wish..... just my .02.......
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Yes, with shorter barrels heavier rounds won't have as much time to accelerate. That's why I carry the 124 grain HST's.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I actually preferred 147gr bullets in my G26; heavier bullets tend to have better penetration, and modern bullet designs open up just fine at lower velocities.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I actually preferred 147gr bullets in my G26; heavier bullets tend to have better penetration, and modern bullet designs open up just fine at lower velocities.
    +1
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

here are some factory loads through my chrongraph.

glock 19 - kkm barrel.
    factory 147 gr hydra shok ammo, 5 shot average - 957 fps.
    factory ball 124 gr, 5 shot average - 1,056 fps.

glock 23 - kkm barrel
    federal hydra shok 165 gr, 5 shot average 951 fps.

glock 27 - kkm barrel
    speer gold dot 165 gr gdhp, 10 shot average 938 fps.

the only load i have tested through a g26 and g30 are some cast lead reloads that i made to be lite range loads.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lightbulb

On another forum, a poster cut and pasted an email from a technical guy at Winchester.

He pretty much reccommended 147 gr. Ranger for short barrels.

He spoke about dwell time in the barrel of the 147 gr. being longer because it is a slower round, enabling the round to take better advantage of the propellant burn.

Lighter rounds leave the barrel quicker, not taking full advantage of the powder.

He said to think in terms of time in barrel, taking fuller advantage of the propellant.

This was contradictory to what I thought I knew about ballistics.

Speer has some lighter +P ammo designed specifically for short barrels, that uses a quicker burn for the lessened dwell time. I would use this, or one of the Premium 147 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by paragon1 View Post
    On another forum, a poster cut and pasted an email from a technical guy at Winchester.

He pretty much reccommended 147 gr. Ranger for short barrels.

He spoke about dwell time in the barrel of the 147 gr. being longer because it is a slower round, enabling the round to take better advantage of the propellant burn.

Lighter rounds leave the barrel quicker, not taking full advantage of the powder.

He said to think in terms of time in barrel, taking fuller advantage of the propellant.

This was contradictory to what I thought I knew about ballistics.

Speer has some lighter +P ammo designed specifically for short barrels, that uses a quicker burn for the lessened dwell time. I would use this, or one of the Premium 147 gr.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it before, the heavier bullet would take longer to exit the barrel. If the powder charge is generating equal pressures in both the lighter and heavier bullet cartridges, then naturally, the heavier bullet would take longer to exit...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    That's an interesting point. I'd never thought of that before, but it does make sense. A bullet that goes slower will take longer to exit a short barrel and will waste less of the powder charge. So ballistically you could consider it a more efficient round in short barrels.

I put this question to Springfield for my 3" XDSC.

The response I got back favors the 147 load, but there was no criticism of lighter loads, either.

+P loads would be fine, but would cause more wear with constant use. I was cautioned against reloads or foreign ammo. (of course)

Unless someone actually does some ballistic tests, I think we're doing OK with most factory loads, in short barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it before, the heavier bullet would take longer to exit the barrel. If the powder charge is generating equal pressures in both the lighter and heavier bullet cartridges, then naturally, the heavier bullet would take longer to exit...
    The 124g bullet will typically have more powder than 147g bullet due to the higher pressure created by the heavier bullet and greater bearing surface. Just make sure the bullet will expand at the velocity generated by your gun.
    Stevew

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The difference between a 147 out of a 4" barrel and out of a 3" barrel is only around 50fps. This is not significant. The 147 work fine out of the 9sc and will ruin a BG's day if he catches one.

The heavier 147 will give somewhat deeper penetration than a 124 from the same gun but either one will do the trick.

An interesting fact of penetration is that higher velocity out of the barrel does not mean deeper penetration in the target. Deeper penetration is the result of mass not velocity.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    The difference between a 147 out of a 4" barrel and out of a 3" barrel is only around 50fps. This is not significant. The 147 work fine out of the 9sc and will ruin a BG's day if he catches one.

The heavier 147 will give somewhat deeper penetration than a 124 from the same gun but either one will do the trick.

An interesting fact of penetration is that higher velocity out of the barrel does not mean deeper penetration in the target. Deeper penetration is the result of mass not velocity.
    Well, this is my own rationale for using heavier loads. Penetration vs expansion which would produce AT BEST, hundredths of an inch of expansion.

Accuracy + multiple hits.... I don't think the specs of the loads matters as much as those variables.

(I am not an expert)

ntg
    Well...in simple terms I was told penetration is a factor of mass and velocity...and obviously the media you're punching through. General rule of thumb to me is with two different weights going the same speed the heavier one will penetrate further assuming they're shot into the same material/media. There's you a non-expert, two-cent opinion.

I agreed with that said above the 147 vs. 124 isn't going to make that much of a differnce. I certainly don't want to get hit with either one!

Here is a very good article that answers your question: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Here is a picture from the article. Notice the penetration depths of the same caliber bullets that are different weights. Even though the lighter bullets are moving fast (fps) they still don't penetrate as far as the bullets with more mass.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by spooter66; October 22nd, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: correct typo
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links