Defense Ammo supplies on hand

This is a discussion on Defense Ammo supplies on hand within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a lot more 9mm than .45 ammo. 300 or so rounds of Gold Dot in 9mm and 6 boxes of TAP in .45. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defense Ammo supplies on hand

kpw
    I've got a lot more 9mm than .45 ammo. 300 or so rounds of Gold Dot in 9mm and 6 boxes of TAP in .45. Range ammo still works if needed so I'm good for a small zombie outbreak. Do .22s work on zombies?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Do .22s work on zombies?

it may require up to 2 or 3 hits.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    In a SHTF scenario there will be no such thing as "range" and "SD" ammo. You will shoot whatever is at hand. Therefore I don't count types, just boxes.

The cheaper stuff goes to the range on a regular basis, though the more expensive stuff get's shot on occasion.

BTW, the more you have the more the Zombies will have when they overrun you!
    NRA Life Member

More important than raw numbers is the quantity YOU shoot in a given month. I would suggest at least three times that amount.

Personally, I try to never have less than 500 rounds of anything I shoot on hand at any given time. Double that for plinking/range ammo.

Reloading all my range ammo and my heavy .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .45 Colt makes that rather easy.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Guys I never said anything about range ammo. Stop changing the subject. I'm asking about JHP/Defense/carry whatever you want to call it ammo that you keep at hand for your pistols.

I never mentioned any scenario and you're all coming up with these ideas. I never said anything about "zombies". I am asking a serious question and I did not expect answers that bordered on jokes about zombies attacking.

I've gotten answers that were in line with what I expected, so I'll let this thread die.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

cmdrdredd:

You know, sometimes....just sometimes...we like to have a little fun on this forum. I am sure nobody meant any disrespect to you.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'd say with 300-400 rds for each gun, you're covered.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

i guess i fail to see what you hoped to accomplish by asking the question.

im gonna say most with an @ssload wont tell and most with little to none wont say either.

i dont see how it helps you as it seems your mind is made up already.

it seems most are trying to get accross the point you need more range ammo than defensive loads but your taking it badly.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Guys I never said anything about range ammo. Stop changing the subject. I'm asking about JHP/Defense/carry whatever you want to call it ammo that you keep at hand for your pistols.

I never mentioned any scenario and you're all coming up with these ideas. I never said anything about "zombies". I am asking a serious question and I did not expect answers that bordered on jokes about zombies attacking.

I've gotten answers that were in line with what I expected, so I'll let this thread die.
    I don't know what your problem is, but with the exception of one or two, every reply answered your question.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links