Graduating to a larger caliber...

This is a discussion on Graduating to a larger caliber... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ongolo "He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduating to a larger caliber...

Quote Originally Posted by ongolo View Post
    "He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder with my .45 ACP pistol loaded with Lawman ammunition which is topped with a 200grain JHP bullet. I excpected him to be knocked over by the bullet. He did not even twitch, but dropped the stone he was about to throw only to pick up a solid rock. He advanced with the rock held over his head with the obvious intent to flatten my head. I fired two more rounds into his chest and he kept coming, showing no signs of distress. My nervous system was by then in a state of collapse and I flinched with the next shot, hitting him relatively low, thus striking the hip joint. This apparently hurt him. He sat down and suffered in silence for a while, then stood up and walked off. After walking a few meters, he got angry again, turned around and came for me once more. I did not shoot again, but he collapsed a few meters from me. I cannot believe in the <stopping power< of heavy, large bullets anymore. We checked the wounds and found that two bullets pentrated clean and the other two were only partially deformed were bone was hit. No mushrooming at all. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another weapon right now, but I reduce the weight of my .45 bullets to about 90grains now and get about 1700ft/s out of it. I hope that with this load I will have more effect if I should need to use the pistol again."
    Lesson of the day. Use a quality defensive round. 200gr Gold Dot (lawman is the Speer FMJ brand btw) is known to be garbage in comparison to other options.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

PLACEMENT PLACEMENT PLACEMENT!!!
    I'd rather face an inept marksman with a 45 than an expert with a 22.
    Make your training as real world as you can possibly imagine including; low light, movement, cover, concealment, reloading and firing from sitting, prone, and supine positions. Gunfighting is a Martial Art, the gun is no better than the survival ability of the person holding it.
    BTW I was a really big devotee of the 357 until I learned what the muzzel flash and concussion of one felt like inside an automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    PLACEMENT PLACEMENT PLACEMENT!!!
    BTW I was a really big devotee of the 357 until I learned what the muzzel flash and concussion of one felt like inside an automobile.
    Gets your attention don't it You might also want to try it in a small room at night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links