Graduating to a larger caliber...

This is a discussion on Graduating to a larger caliber... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like my 9mm pistols/caliber and plan to stick with them. I would like to graduate to a larger caliber and taking a long, hard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graduating to a larger caliber...

Graduating to a larger caliber...

I like my 9mm pistols/caliber and plan to stick with them. I would like to graduate to a larger caliber and taking a long, hard look at .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. Thoughts and insight are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Be very careful if you try out a 1911, you might not want to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I like my 9mm pistols/caliber and plan to stick with them. I would like to graduate to a larger caliber and taking a long, hard look at .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. Thoughts and insight are welcome.
    GET BOTH OF THEM.

What's wrong with the 40S&W? Are you talking .357mag, or 357sig?

Stay armed...with anything that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I guess it would depend on if you want to go to a revolver or auto; if an auto, unless you want to get a Desert Eagle (and a few others that are quite rare), there really aren't any .357 magnum autos; definitely get the .45.

If you want a revolver, they do make them in both .45 and .357 flavors...so it could be a harder choice. I'd still probably stick with .45, though; ammo is cheaper.

Either round is a solid performer, and I'd feel well armed with either.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Bigger than a 9mm, I haven't met a caliber I didn't like
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

You may wish to stick with the 9mm...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-over-me.html
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Take a hard look at the .357SIG.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Stay armed...with anything that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...stay safe!
    Wait what about those that end with a 4 too. .44, .454, heck dont forget the .460.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

9mm / 45ACP

"He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder with my .45 ACP pistol loaded with Lawman ammunition which is topped with a 200grain JHP bullet. I excpected him to be knocked over by the bullet. He did not even twitch, but dropped the stone he was about to throw only to pick up a solid rock. He advanced with the rock held over his head with the obvious intent to flatten my head. I fired two more rounds into his chest and he kept coming, showing no signs of distress. My nervous system was by then in a state of collapse and I flinched with the next shot, hitting him relatively low, thus striking the hip joint. This apparently hurt him. He sat down and suffered in silence for a while, then stood up and walked off. After walking a few meters, he got angry again, turned around and came for me once more. I did not shoot again, but he collapsed a few meters from me. I cannot believe in the <stopping power< of heavy, large bullets anymore. We checked the wounds and found that two bullets pentrated clean and the other two were only partially deformed were bone was hit. No mushrooming at all. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another weapon right now, but I reduce the weight of my .45 bullets to about 90grains now and get about 1700ft/s out of it. I hope that with this load I will have more effect if I should need to use the pistol again."

OD*
    How is this 9mm/45?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

What was Ongolo posting in response to? I felt like I walked in on the middle of a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by ongolo View Post
    "He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder with my .45 ACP pistol loaded with Lawman ammunition which is topped with a 200grain JHP bullet. I excpected him to be knocked over by the bullet. He did not even twitch, but dropped the stone he was about to throw only to pick up a solid rock. He advanced with the rock held over his head with the obvious intent to flatten my head. I fired two more rounds into his chest and he kept coming, showing no signs of distress. My nervous system was by then in a state of collapse and I flinched with the next shot, hitting him relatively low, thus striking the hip joint. This apparently hurt him. He sat down and suffered in silence for a while, then stood up and walked off. After walking a few meters, he got angry again, turned around and came for me once more. I did not shoot again, but he collapsed a few meters from me. I cannot believe in the <stopping power< of heavy, large bullets anymore. We checked the wounds and found that two bullets pentrated clean and the other two were only partially deformed were bone was hit. No mushrooming at all. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another weapon right now, but I reduce the weight of my .45 bullets to about 90grains now and get about 1700ft/s out of it. I hope that with this load I will have more effect if I should need to use the pistol again."
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    everyone needs a good .357 revolver in their collection.....
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links