Sacrificing caliber for cost

This is a discussion on Sacrificing caliber for cost within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figured I'd post this here instead of in the Defensive Guns section. It's really more an ammo question than it is which gun to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacrificing caliber for cost

Sacrificing caliber for cost

I figured I'd post this here instead of in the Defensive Guns section. It's really more an ammo question than it is which gun to get. At the moment I have 3 handguns that were my father's. I have a .22 Browning Medalist Automatic Target Pistol, a S&W 1905 Military & Police Target Model, 4th Change, .38 Special, and a .45 Colt Model 1911A1, U.S. Army. I'd love to stay with as few calibers as possible so I'm not buying ever type of ammo known to man, but the .22 is too small. I don't want a revolver for a defensive carry, and I'm thinking the .45 is too big to big of a caliber for the subcompact Glock. (Man, I sound like Goldilocks!)

So I'm relegated to 9mm,,32, .380, and .40 I've heard that .380 is impossible to find these days, 9mm is nice, but for the same price I could be shooting .40, and the only reason I'm looking at .32 is because of the price of .380 and my desire to get a Seecamp as well as a Glock 26 or 27.

Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness. I even toyed with the idea of getting the Glock .45 subcompact till I realized what kind of kick that thing must have.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    "Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness"

Oh boy. Now you've done it!
    May as well settle in, this could go awhile...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    "Anyone have any thought, or know where I could get a good run down on cost of ammo vs. the caliber effectiveness"

Oh boy. Now you've done it!
    May as well settle in, this could go awhile...
    Pick the caliber you like. I found this source in a previous thread. I hope noone minds me reposting it.

AmmoEngine: .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

It's a self contained search engine designed to troll ammo supply web sites and only show what's available. You can sort by manufacturer, bullet type, price.
    They currently have 17 websites, and don't show shot shells yet.

For many calibers the cost/round difference isn't big enough to justify sacrificing anything IMHO.
    Check your local gun show too, I've heard you can get good deals on reloads, especially if you have brass to trade.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Lol, Arko. I know; I just opened the flood gates with a statement like that didn't I?

Lewis,
    Thanks, I'll use that to do some research!

You know--all factors come down to what you, and only you will be comfortable with.

Will you be comfortable with a 9mm on your hip, instead of a .45? If you aren't, then, really, it won't be all that worth it...and, FWIW, the G36 is a rather light recoiling .45 for it's size; it's no 9mm G26, that's for sure; but I find it easier to shoot than a G27 in .40, any day.

If you do decide to go down in caliber...I don't see much advantage of .40 over 9mm, and am just plain not a fan of .380 or .32...so, 9mm would be my choice in your situation.

But--I'd really recommend a .45acp G36; I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Fear Not The .45!!!! lol!

The G30 is remarkably soft shooting. It does not feel like the monster a lot of people fear. For me, it is easier to handle than the G27. Try it. You'll like it!

Price on ammo? Well that is another story. If you want inexpensive shooting, I like the G19 or G26 (from your choices). I am not a fan of the .40, but many people love it. I will let others get in to the ballistic merits of each.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The 9mm and .45 would be perfect........just my opinion. The .40 has been described as having a rather 'snappy' recoil.

WRT caliber aviliability, then 9mm might be your best bet. Do not discount the .45.......it's a good round even in the 'mini-Glocks'. If at all possiable, find a range that rents a selection of sidearms/calibers your considering and put some rounds through 'em.

As for just an opinion right now.....the 9mm would be my choice with in the parameters you've set.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep, go to your local fun shop, rent a few and choose the one(s) you like best.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I ask myself the same thing a while back and the answer was
    9MM.
    Going up from 9MM gives more recoil and less ammo in the gun
    and higher ammo cost with a slight increase in one shot stop(if you
    even buy into that thinking)of about 4 to 8 percent at the cost
    of at least 10 percent loss on round count in the gun.

Loss of personal performance with follow up shots for me was
    hard to guess, but it was over 10 percent with .40-.45
    The cost of ammo to practice with was that lower with 9MM
    I can buy three boxes of 9MM for what two boxes of 40 or 45 cost
    Thats a loss of 33 percent of practice to go up from 9MM to
    40 or 45.

Going down from 9MM is the same story in reverse
    less power (IE one shot stop)and more cost.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Try different options, and then consider...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...s-over-me.html
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

thanks guys. The 9mm debate also supports the reading I've done from some of the Self Defense Instructors that I've found online. They all prefer the 9mm for all the same reasons above.

Word is our local PD will soon be switching back to 9mm from 40. They feel confident in the performance of modern ammunition and feel that accuracy and follow up shot speed is more important than size difference. I have shot a G27 and found it snappy. I carry a G26 and find it to be a firearm I shoot quite well.

Around me .40sw is easy to find. 9mm somewhat difficult and .45acp impossible.

So if the situation is similar for you then you might want to consolidate on what you can find reliably.

As for what works, lets see if the wimpy 9mm would hurt? Any takers? Jokes aside I like bigger bullets. .40 is a good medium IMO. It has good velocity good capacity and is slightly larger than 9mm while not being so hard to find as .45acp ammo so you can practice. Having said that, I urge you to shoot one before deciding. You may not like it. 9mm is very potent and I hold no grudge against anyone who cannot handle a .40 in the same frame size. I can, some simply want a 9mm instead.

I will say that 9mm is super easy to shoot. After shooting my G23 a lot then grabbing the G19 I noticed I was waiting for a BANG and got more of a pop (as far as the snap of the recoil is concerned). Neither .40sw or .45acp is hard for me to control, I do prefer .45acp but the G23/G19 for me is just too perfect a size gun. It's all opinion, mine is not like everyone's. I usd to be a .40sw hater, telling everyone to use .45 if they want bigger and skip the .40 caliber all together. Now, after shooting a G23 and reading a lot of information about ballistics and bullet designs etc I decided that .40sw would be a good edc for me. Having velocity close to 9mm (not quite) and size close to .45acp (not quite). Kind of hit what I wanted. I only lose 2 rounds with a G23 vs a G19 as well which to me is minor as I'd be comfortable with 8+1 of 45acp in a 1911.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Ammo is already starting to be a little easier to find. As supply starts going up price will start to go back to normal.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

After one or two thousand rounds, a 22 conversion for your 45 would pay for itself. You still get practice with sight alignment, trigger control, etc, just not the big bang. Just a thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links