9mm +P FMJ?

This is a discussion on 9mm +P FMJ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I plan to carry into NJ next summer, but they only allow FMJ. Looking for something better than my current Fed Am Eagle practice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm +P FMJ?

9mm +P FMJ?

Hi,

I plan to carry into NJ next summer, but they only allow FMJ. Looking for something better than my current Fed Am Eagle practice fmj. The only one I know that is hotter is the Winchester Ranger Nato FMJ. Is there anything else that's better for DC? I'll be carrying this in my G26.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Fed. Expanding Full Metal Jacket would be my way to go. 9mm +P FMJ may yield over penetration which may exit your target with no expansion to help keep the projectile inside the body cavity and the extra velocity moving it along.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Fed. Expanding Full Metal Jacket would be my way to go. 9mm +P FMJ may yield over penetration which may exit your target with no expansion to help keep the projectile inside the body cavity and the extra velocity moving it along.
    + many to that.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

JD
    Administrator
    Some other options would be Corbon Pow'r Ball or the new Hornady Critical Defense. I didn't care for the test results of the Pow'r ball when I tried them side by side with the Fed. EFMJ rounds and the Critical Defense may be hard to find.

I found the Pow'r ball to be a smidge hot in .40 when compared to other rounds, I don't know the exact powder charge, but as .40 is on the ragged edge of sanity as far as velocity/cartridge make up to start with I was put off by the snappiness of the cartridge. My groups also opened up with the Pow'r Ball when shooting rapid fire and slow fire.

To be fair I'd suggest buying a small sampling of each, the Fed. EFMJ, the Hornady Critical Defense (If that is permitted in NJ) and the Pow'r Ball.
    I'm assuming that you're carrying into NJ under LEOSA?

Lucky for you being able to carry in NJ. I live hear and can not.

For HD I have 124 +P EMJ in my G 19.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Some other options would be Corbon Pow'r Ball or the new Hornady Critical Defense. I didn't care for the test results of the Pow'r ball when I tried them side by side with the Fed. EFMJ rounds and the Critical Defense may be hard to find.

I found the Pow'r ball to be a smidge hot in .40 when compared to other rounds, I don't know the exact powder charge, but as .40 is on the ragged edge of sanity as far as velocity/cartridge make up to start with I was put off by the snappiness of the cartridge. My groups also opened up with the Pow'r Ball when shooting rapid fire and slow fire.

To be fair I'd suggest buying a small sampling of each, the Fed. EFMJ, the Hornady Critical Defense (If that is permitted in NJ) and the Pow'r Ball.
    I'm assuming that you're carrying into NJ under LEOSA?
    Great, thanks for the recommendations. Yes, I will be carrying under HR218 (LEOSA). I live on the border of NY/CT. This was the main reason I decided to qualify yearly and be protected under HR218. Most Ret LEO do not bother and some still carry into an adjoining state. I would never take the chance.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    + many to that.
    If they specifically disallow hollow points, rather than mandate fmj, these are great rounds. A little pricey, but great rounds.

If you can find the 9mm 124gr +P EFMJ anywhere...PLEASE let me know! I cannot seem to find any anywhere. I had them on backorder from Streichers for months - ended up with Hornady CD instead.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Federal EMFJ solves this problem like many have stated but I would be SURE that EMFJ would not be considered a "Hollowpoint" EMFG just sorta collapses and arent really hollowed out per se. Powerballs on the other hand are hollowpoints with a ball on the end so that they feed better in finiky pistols. I could see powerballs not passing muster on not being a hollowpoint (since they are)

Unless I'm looking incorrectly I no longer see federal showing 124 +p on their website. It only shows 105.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Unless I'm looking incorrectly I no longer see federal showing 124 +p on their website. It only shows 105.
    I contacted Federal a few weeks ago via their website, and they claim to still be making it. Can't find any, though.

EDIT - Just called them live. Next production run is not scheduled until Jan 5th 2010!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Corbon Pow'r Ball or the new Hornady Critical Defense; I think NJ just sayes no to hollow pt not the plastic filled bullets.

Being LEO does the hollow point regulation apply to you?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I always use EFMJ when I go back home to Jersey. Either the 105grn 9m m load in a P7M13 or the 200+P 45 in one of my 1911s. Never felt or feel "under" armed carrying it.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Yes it does apply to retired LEO, only active LEO can carry JHPs. I had my cousin who's a detective in Cape May County check for me a few years back before we drove back there. I just carried EFMJs the entire trip from Oregon to Florida, Jersey and back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links