Is this a good article?

This is a discussion on Is this a good article? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a LOT to learn about different ammunitions and ballistics, so I was doing some research when I came across this "article." Would you ...

Thread: Is this a good article?

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

Is this a good article?

I have a LOT to learn about different ammunitions and ballistics, so I was doing some research when I came across this "article."

Would you say the author of this article seems to know what he's talking about?

Obviously, I won't take it as a fact, just opinions, but he seems to know more than I do!

Just wanted your guy's feedback so I know if I'm reading good advice or nonsense.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Btw, I was sad to see the Springfield XD wasn't listed under 9mm guns. I still need to pick a defensive round for it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The Springfield XD wasn't mentioned because the info in the article is old, and in some places incorrect (probably because it is old).

There are better places on the web to get info on self defense ammo, and the authors will actually stand up and claim responsibility.

Try this site, it has a lot of info and links:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

(Normally I would not advise going to an ARFCOM site, but this is good info and not one of their forums.)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Thanks for the link... My work blocks a lot of sites (which includes most firearms sights) so my choices are kinda limited... I'll definitely read up on it when I get home though.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    The Springfield XD wasn't mentioned because the info in the article is old, and in some places incorrect (probably because it is old).

There are better places on the web to get info on self defense ammo, and the authors will actually stand up and claim responsibility.

Try this site, it has a lot of info and links:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

(Normally I would not advise going to an ARFCOM site, but this is good info and not one of their forums.)
    Good site AutoFan.

There is a lot of dated information in that article. In terms of .45 caliber there are product offerings such as corbon DPX +P and Federal HST that far outperform what he has listed. Also hes has virtually no correct information about 10mm at all other than full power loads over penetrate. 10mm was designed for full power loads and anything less is basically a 40S&W cartridge. 10mm is a hand cannon and the most powerful production auto available (well besides desert eagle .50). The main issue with 10MM is a severe lack in quality production loads. since it is not a popular cartridge you dont have insane products like Federal HST2 in 10mm which is a shame because if Federal optimized a 10mm load it would basically explode bad guys. handloaders get to have all the fun with 10mm

You can always tell an article is dated if the author is talking about Federal hydrashoks as it is the best thing since sliced bread. Ballistics performance from several different cartridges dramatically outperforms the old Hydrashok in .45 these days.

A lot of inaccurate info. Some of it way off base.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I have a LOT to learn about different ammunitions and ballistics, so I was doing some research when I came across this "article."

Would you say the author of this article seems to know what he's talking about?

Obviously, I won't take it as a fact, just opinions, but he seems to know more than I do!

Just wanted your guy's feedback so I know if I'm reading good advice or nonsense.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Btw, I was sad to see the Springfield XD wasn't listed under 9mm guns. I still need to pick a defensive round for it.
    I think the guy is as good as any of the so called experts that get a lot of press.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

I thought it was interesting until he went off into the weeds with his diatribe about the "weak" 147 grain 9mms. There was so much invective there that it poisoned the rest of the article for me. But, the article was titled "Opinions" and not "Facts." I would encourage all to read and digest lots more about defensive ammo, and not be overly guided by this anonymous author's opinions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links