Dick's fully stocked.....for a reason

This is a discussion on Dick's fully stocked.....for a reason within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got around to checking out the selection at our Augusta Mall Dick's Sporting Goods location. Basically, all the shelves were well stocked, including ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick's fully stocked.....for a reason

I finally got around to checking out the selection at our Augusta Mall Dick's Sporting Goods location. Basically, all the shelves were well stocked, including .380. I started talking with the college aged kid behind the counter and he seemed sharp and was pleasant to talk to. I asked him what .40 ammo he had in stock and asked if I wanted personal protection or range ammo and I said range. He did that inward smile people usually do when they are expecting a reaction....

"Well we're pretty well stocked, Blazer Brass and Wolf FMJ's are $20/box and the Remington UMC is $99 for 250"

"Seriously?" I asked?

"Yep, so you now know why we're so well stocked, it isn't moving at these prices"

I didn't look carefully at the other prices but they all looked high. The Mossberg and Remington 12ga that were $289-ish at Academy were $329-$349 at Dicks. I basically have no reason to ever go back.

Also, when I asked him, the guy said they don't advertise any firearms on their website because corporate told him its owned by a 3rd party that doesn't have their FFL. I don't know if its true or not and don't really care.

I really do prefer to support the independent shops but there are almost none left in town and the one I have friends at is open when my business is open so I have to make special arrangements to go there.

So I look at it this way, at least for this area, it isn't so much that there is a shortage, its that people are stock piling the Wal-Mart ammo because its cheap in comparison.....and I can't blame them when you can get 300rounds of Remington UMC JHP's at Wal-Mart for less than 250 of Remington UMC FMJ's at Dick's.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Actually I for one really enjoy shopping at Dicks... true story:

A year ago I went Dicks in Rockwall, Tx and picked up 3 cases (30 boxes) of 9mm at 7.98 a box, at that same time I also asked for and got a rain check for 4 additional cases (40 boxes). For the past year they have been out of stock whenever I went by ... UnTiL two weeks ago, story goes like this:

me - I see you finally have ammo in stock, do you have any in back still in the case?

clerk - errrr, no and we have a 3 box limit anyway...

me - Ohhhhhhh, ok... give me 40 boxes please.

clerk - you dont understand we only sell 3 boxes per customer.

me - oh I understand, but you don't understand (pulling out 1 year old raincheck from my front shirt pocket) I have a raincheck.

clerk - ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

me - I'll go get a cart while you set it up on the counter.

(fast forward to checkout counter up front)

manager - omg, we don't even give rain checks for ammo anymore

me - yeah, that's what I hear, it's a good thing I had this one.

(bottom line - $7.98 per for 40 boxes --- regular price $15.97.)

Moral of the story - save those rain check, it could be the deal of a lifetime...
    Last edited by Ridgeline; October 31st, 2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: sp
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post

A year ago I went Dicks in Rockwall, Tx and picked up 3 cases (30 boxes) of 9mm at 7.98 a box, at that same time I also asked for and got a rain check for 4 additional cases (40 boxes). For the past year they have been out of stock whenever I went by ... UnTiL two weeks ago, story goes like this:

me - I see you finally have ammo in stock, do you have any in back still in the case?

me - oh I understand, but you don't understand (pulling out 1 year old raincheck from my front shirt pocket) I have a raincheck.

clerk - ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Moral of the story - save those rain check, it could be the deal of a lifetime...
    You hit the jackpot on that one.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post

clerk - ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

wow I am suprized they honored the full 40 boxes. I would have thought they would give you the 3 and thats it.

Nicely done
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

the dick's here in east tennessee is aways out of pistol ammo. when they get any in it does not last long. either the workers are buying it or they are calling their friends. same with the wal marts here, no ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    It was only a matter of time for the prices to jump. Law of supply and demand is a basic business principles that is still at work.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Times must be a-changing. Our local Wal-Marts seem to be able to maintain a good stock of 9mm, .40 and .45. They have no .38, .357 most of the time and havn't had any .380 this year. The only Dicks around is to far to make it worthwhile.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Dick's. Is this a big chain?
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Just got back from WW.. Remington MegaPack 250rounds .40 S&W $69.

The 9mm is $57

Lots of pro's and con's for Dicks but for the above they seem to be living up to their name.

bosco

Everytime I read one of these threads I get even happier that I handload. $57 for 250 9mm is a deal? Since I cast my own bullets and have lots of free 9mm range brass, I can load 1000 rounds for less than $57, and 9mm is probably the cartridge that I save the least handloading.

Back when there were all sorts of posts of the lack of availability of .38 Special ammunition (and when it was available, it was selling for $20/50 rounds), I loaded up all this:

Really, if one is a serious shooter, one should look seriously into handloading. Its quite possible to get a fully serviceable kit with everything required for around $250, or ~600 rounds of ammunition from Dick's.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I can't wait for a new Academy Sports to be build here locally. We don't have any Dick's sporting goods stores in these parts.

If one shoots more than a couple of hundred rounds (total of every centerfire one has) a month, I can't imagine NOT handloading.

Even not casting bullets, but using Barry's plated bullets, I load .40S&W and 9mm for about 14 cents a round.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Academy had a lot of different flavors of pistol ammo at 15% off in Wichita, Ks. That brought the price on some of it to cheaper than Wally. .380 is starting to show up at some stores in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by CRags99 View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a Dick's. Is this a big chain?

Dick's started with one store in Binghamton, New York. The home office is in Conklin, New York. My old neck of the woods.
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    If one shoots more than a couple of hundred rounds (total of every centerfire one has) a month, I can't imagine NOT handloading.

Even not casting bullets, but using Barry's plated bullets, I load .40S&W and 9mm for about 14 cents a round.
    I couldn't even afford to shoot a couple of hundred rounds a month without handloading. My average cost per round, using my own cast bullets and reused brass is about $.04 per round (some a little less, some a little more). That is $8 for 200 rounds. I figure purchasing 200 rounds for the calibers I shoot most often, .38 Special and .45 ACP would run me at least $60 for 200 rounds of the cheapest ammunition available. Of course my handloads are specifically tailored to my needs, so they are better than say WWB, but that is the comparison everyone uses when they price handloads vs. factory. That is a difference of $52 a month. Saving $52 a month it would take less than a year to pay for both a handloading and basic casting setup.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links