Defensive Carry banner

Hunting SideArm Ammo

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  stoprilshoot 
#1 ·
Ok so i was wondering what would be a good ammo to carry in my 40ve while hunting. Holow pioint or fmj? Reason im wondering is i have 165 gr HP for mone defensive but wholud it still work for game?

Also i might be able to take A S&W 357mag. what would be good for it as well.

Any suggestions will help thx.

Also Ill be going Deer and Elk hunting.

#2 ·
First off, check your state laws and see if your .40 caliber is legal for hunting, and if your state requires expanding ammuntion for hunting...that'll tell you pretty much off the bat what you'll need.

As to the .357, a good 158grn JSP or SJHP will work on most game. If you think you'll need it against critters that may fight back, I'd recommend the heaviest, hottest WNFP your pistol will handle.

#3 ·
First of all check your Fish and Game regulations. Depending on the game, they often specify legal method of take.

To better answer your question, are you asking about using the 40ve or .357 as your primary hunting piece or just as a backup?

Here is an excerpt from CA Fish and Game Mammal Hunting Regs:
§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.

(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

(c) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.

(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.
So for deer, pistol is allowed with softnose or expanding bullets
and for elk, pistols must have min 4" barrel--so the 40ve is alllowed for both.

OMO, but personally I would use a pistol to take deer only if I was within say about 10-15 yards, beyond that your chance of a clean kill are going to plummet. And I would never even think of using a pistol for elk.

#4 ·
no the handgun will just be a backup sidearm in case of something like animal decides to try to get back up and im close range or something else. Ill be taking my Rem. 7mm Mag. as my main firearm.

#5 ·
the 40 with 165 should be ok for a bak up. The 357 with well built 158g will do for hunting. I would feel comfortable with either one for protection agianst Mountain Loins. For protection against any of the larger black bears you have there I would lube the 40 or the 357 with bacon grease and hope that when I ran out of bullets and threw it down the smell would attract the bear to gun while I escaped.

#7 ·
IMO between .40 and the .357 in the woods the .357 is the better choice. Even someone without experience in using either in the field can see that when States refer to hunting with a handugn ( I know, you are not hunting with it but are going to be shooting SOMETHING life threatning out there with it) you will find the .357 to be the bottom floor of acceptability. A 10mm would be even better because of capacity. I consider my Glock 20 to be like a semi-auto .357. You will have more penetration from the .357 than the .40. In the woods penetration is paramount.

When I take my Glock20 on a hunt it is only for back up - I have 10mm 200gr WFNGC Hardcast loaded in it. DoubleTap Ammunition A 6 inch barrel makes a difference too! Nothing less because I have no idea how big the threat will be but since I am out for hogs I'll take no chances with lesser power. The .40 may cut the muster with a Mountain Lion but is that the biggest thing you may meet? A 10mm would still be better anyways which brings us back to your choices... My 2 cents offered is for the .357 it will perfom better than a .40 will out there - That is... if you can't go get a Glock20 - with a 6 inch barrel :wink:

I would use a heavy JSP if i was carrying a .357 in the woods - and a speed loader!

Hope it helps.

#8 ·
you will find the .357 to be the bottom floor of acceptability. A 10mm would be even better because of capacity. I consider my Glock 20 to be like a semi-auto .357. You will have more penetration from the .357 than the .40. In the woods penetration is paramount.

your in the woods and need more than 6 rounds? i wound not say the .357 has more penetration. i think its the other way around but that all depends on the load. the .357 does have more KE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.