HD .45 ACP suggestions

This is a discussion on HD .45 ACP suggestions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, Any good suggestions for me to put in my new Sig P250 chambered in .45? I would like some recommendations for HD that would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD .45 ACP suggestions

VIP Member

HD .45 ACP suggestions

Guys,

Any good suggestions for me to put in my new Sig P250 chambered in .45? I would like some recommendations for HD that would work well in protecting my family. Sure I could go out and grab a box of HP's but I would like to hear brand and grain suggestions.

Sorry for the questions, but I have been shooting 9mm's for 10 years and decided to step up with the big boys.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

I prefer the 185 or 200 grain +p varieties. YMMV
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

VIP Member
    I tend to stay with the 230gr. loads. Regular or +P, I don't think it really matters in a .45. I like Federal HST's...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm partial to the Remington Golden Sabers.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    230gr Winchester Ranger T or Federal HST.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm partial to the Remington Golden Sabers.
    + 1 Golden Saber bonded 230gr in my XD .45 Compact
    Proud NRA member

Split ticket here. Inside my home, the .45s are loaded with Winchester 185 gr Silvertip for reduced penetration. When I leave the house, Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shoks are in the guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I believe that your training and practice with the firearm, along with knowing that your firearm can 'effectively eat' the ammo you have chosen (any brand or weight that has been proven for your weapon) is far more important than if you should select 230 gr over 185 gr, or Hydra Shok over Speer Gold Dot. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I believe that your training and practice with the firearm, along with knowing that your firearm can 'effectively eat' the ammo you have chosen (any brand or weight that has been proven for your weapon) is far more important than if you should select 230 gr over 185 gr, or Hydra Shok over Speer Gold Dot. OMO
    I agree with you, as I training once a week, but gaining knowledge from others is priceless.

For an example, I was at the range last week and a guy noticed my nice groups and then saw that I was collecting my brass. He asked me if I was reloading .223, and I told him not yet, but I will be. The next thing I know, the guy goes into major detail of his own years of trial and error with reloading. Now he is sending me all of this information and exact details of materials and exact instructions for his reloads.

Pretty cool guy!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I agree with you, as I training once a week, but gaining knowledge from others is priceless.

For an example, I was at the range last week and a guy noticed my nice groups and then saw that I was collecting my brass. He asked me if I was reloading .223, and I told him not yet, but I will be. The next thing I know, the guy goes into major detail of his own years of trial and error with reloading. Now he is sending me all of this information and exact details of materials and exact instructions for his reloads.

Pretty cool guy!
    Please take his loads with a healthy does of caution. Beginning reloaders should use the information in published reloading manuals, starting with the minimum loads listed and working up to top loads carefully.

What is a comfortable load in one gun may be too hot for another, especially if one is not using the exact components (including cases) as the other fella.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Federal HSTs, Corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester SXT... which one does your gun like? If you can do your part, any of these rounds will do theirs!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Federal Hydra-Shok 165 gr.--1060 fps. deep penetration.

Confirmed Hydra-Shok person but have gone to Gold Dots for availability as of this past year. I had a chance to shoot a couple of boxes of PMC Starfire last week and very impressed with the accuracy. Don't know the PMC's expansion characteristics but "looks" like an aggressive bullet. I would only carry 230 gr. for SD in any of the above brands. Many years ago I carried 200 gr. Lawman (dubbed the flying ashtray) but can't remember the last time I saw a box of them for sale.

IMO you should take this advice.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Wisely spoken.

My choice is a premium JHP from a major ammunition manufacturer that is 100% reliable and acceptibly accurate in my pistols in my hands.

After that, I prefer heavier bullets to lighter; 230 and 200 grain, respectively, in .45. I also prefer +P, but not in all of my pistols.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links