My SD ammo going LE only?

This is a discussion on My SD ammo going LE only? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So what is with my primary choices of SD ammo suddenly only availible to law enforcement only? OR they discontinue.... Like my Winchester Silver JHP. ...

Thread: My SD ammo going LE only?

My SD ammo going LE only?

So what is with my primary choices of SD ammo suddenly only availible to law enforcement only? OR they discontinue....

Like my Winchester Silver JHP.

My Federal HST's. I noticed on a site that I shop they only allow law enforcement to order it now.

Same with my Hydra shocks, only to law enforcement.

is the low availibility? that they stopped stocking for civilian? Let the Law have first dibbs? No problem...that's fine, I'll just sit on them till I can get more....maybe?

SO, now I'll go stock up on somethin else I can shoot up a mag here and there and buy more of.

Unless after I buy a few boxes that becomes law enforcment too. Thinking Gold Saber.....$45.00 for 50rnd box @ CTD.

OR that Clint Smith Thunder Ranch Corbon SD ammo...Might just buy a box for the heck of it....support Corbon and Thunder Ranch.

SO what ya think?

2. Remove Ads

I think you've fallen for the advertisements and marketing.

Buy what you can, as any of the big name brands are all of like quality and effectiveness due to the requirement of passing the FBI's balistic testing for duty use.

It's a non-issue, except for price and getting your hands on it. Ammo makers are backordered, so expect it to be scarce for the forseeable future.

But...better backordered than banned.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'd question where you are getting your info. Try ammunitiontogo.com. HST pops up once in a while.

Well CTD had some notes say this is for LE only. Also another site I stumbled upon...but can't remember...slept sense.

VIP Member
    HSTs are available from other sources...

Streichers.com Police Equipment Supply Headquarters - 800-367-3763

You can always find the ammo you want. Google is your friend!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Walked into our local Cabela's today. There was no ammo shortage except for .380. Everything else there was plenty of, especially SD ammo: Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, HydraShok, PDX-1...

One other gun shop is still selling 155g, .40S&W HydraShoks that were an FBI order that didn't quite make their specs. They are selling it for $9.99/20 and have already sold probably 25-30 thousand rounds over the past three or four months.

I picked up another 100 rounds, as well as another couple of thousand rounds of Federal .22.

There is no particular shortage up where I live.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Tactical Defense Solutions LLC - PISTOL AMMUNITION

Tactical Defense Solutions will pretty much have LE ammo in all the popular calibers, in 50 round boxes, too.

"LE only" ammo sales restrictions are pretty bogus, in my opinion. They are imposed by the manufacturers for business reasons.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Sigs: GrayGuns P229R, P220ST, P220R SAO, P228, P226, P239, GSR 1911 HKs: P7, P30L, USP45f, HK45 Others: S&W 1006, 1076, Colt Delta Elite, Fusion Scout XL 10mm

I wonder sometimes if the LE only ammo sales are geared toward the states that don't allow civilian posession of hollowpoint ammo,I realise that saying restricted sales to those states would be a better idea,not to mention the LE only hype when you get a box it's like the holy grail to your friends IE I carry HST this stuff is what cops shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

NICE!! Thanks..I just ordered me some of those Winchesters. My first boxes of +p JHP.

This site helped me decide which ammo to look for. Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    This gave me a few options when I was shopping.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    NICE!! Thanks..I just ordered me some of those Winchesters. My first boxes of +p JHP.
    Happy to help

I was stoked to find a store where I could easily buy the SD ammo I prefer. These days they seem to have most popular defensive calibers on a regular basis.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis

Sigs: GrayGuns P229R, P220ST, P220R SAO, P228, P226, P239, GSR 1911 HKs: P7, P30L, USP45f, HK45 Others: S&W 1006, 1076, Colt Delta Elite, Fusion Scout XL 10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I'd question where you are getting your info. Try ammunitiontogo.com. HST pops up once in a while.
    +1 I just received some HST .40 s&w yesterday from ATG, as well as some .38 spcl +p gold dot LE ammo.

Links