Extreme Shock!! gimickie..or the real deal.

This is a discussion on Extreme Shock!! gimickie..or the real deal. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like the title says. WHat's your take....any milk jug or wet phone book testes with these? About the Extreme Shock....by the videos and testemonies these ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Like the title says. WHat's your take....any milk jug or wet phone book testes with these?

About the Extreme Shock....by the videos and testemonies these cartriges are the stuff.

My local fun shop has a few packeges of the AFR (Air Freedom Round) that I saw that got me intrested in this brand of bullets. Seems devistating and a good choice for STOPPING a threat. Also seems to be a type that doesn't pentrate walls...hard surfaces.

What ur opinion. hmm?
    Last edited by JD; November 5th, 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    If you really have to worry about going through the target and hitting someone behind them then its an option, but its stopping potential is limited.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Keywords: 'extreme shock ammunition'

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2665255

- Snake Oil
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Keywords: 'extreme shock ammunition'

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...archid=2665255

- Snake Oil
    Hey Janq...that links tells me that there are no matches and for me to try different terminology.

I don't buy ammo who's advertisements look like a video game or comic book.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I don't buy ammo who's advertisements look like a video game or comic book.
    Agreed. Too much of a gimmick for me. I am always skeptical about things that are advertised this way.
    S&W M&P 340--HK P2000 V2 40SW--HK P2000SK V2 40SW--Beretta 92 INOX Vertec--SIG P220 45ACP

Phil 1:6

Extreme shock would be the price of the ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I just came to my senses and abandoned my exotics. Go with what the LEO community shoots.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Fragmenting bullet will give you the best bet on stoping power and underpenetration. However most times any bullet anywhere on the target will be enough to stop them. Sometimes not but that is why you have multiple rounds at your disposal. Choosing the ammo you carry can be tricky. Look at ballistic charts instead of videos showing off the bullet. Hard data and numbers can't lie.

I have heard great things about Glaser safty slugs. They use shot instead of solid metals to make up the mass of the bullet.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Fragmenting bullet will give you the best bet on stoping power and underpenetration. However most times any bullet anywhere on the target will be enough to stop them. Sometimes not but that is why you have multiple rounds at your disposal. Choosing the ammo you carry can be tricky. Look at ballistic charts instead of videos showing off the bullet. Hard data and numbers can't lie.

I have heard great things about Glaser safty slugs. They use shot instead of solid metals to make up the mass of the bullet.
    Well, you're half right...about the underpenetration part. As for "stopping power"...unlearn that myth as soon as possible.

Any bullet anywhere near the target is NOT "usually enough to stop". Look at the Miami shootout--a perfectly placed round didn't penetrate deep enough (stopped an inch short of the heart) to make a stop, and FBI agents died as a result.

Glasers are just as bad as extreme shock. Don't believe the hype.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I totally agree. Go with the hard data, not the fancy animation.

Any of the good LE or PD rounds should work just fine.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Hey Janq...that links tells me that there are no matches and for me to try different terminology.
    I wasn't sure if it would work or not, which is why I provided as backup the keyword search terms I'd used.

Run a search using exactly those keywords.
    There has been a lot of discussion on this as in the recent past alone. Pages worth, per thread.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I just came to my senses and abandoned my exotics. Go with what the LEO community shoots.
    Not to say that all exotics are garbage as a function of being 'exotic'.

A very notable example is the Barnes 'DPX' projectile as is loaded for defense purpose by Corbon.
    A solid copper projectile when when it debuted was also considered to be 'exotic', and still is by folk not yet up on modern and latest technology. DPX has been out nearly a decade now in rifle and pistol chamberings.

Not many LEO depts. in specific use it as an issue ammunition, but that does not have any direct affect on the facts of the rounds performance.
    Oppositely there are still agencys running Federal Hydra-Shock projectile and others allowing officers to use revolvers rather than high(er) capacity SA simply because old timey contrarians and Luddites do not wish to keep up with the times.

I would not personally think nor advise, to a friend, that going by what local/regional or state PD use is the best or even right choice. They have other factors at play including politics.

Do your research, run figures too...and buy a box or three to real world test for yourself as at different media.
    Media being not trees and pumpkins...simply because I know of no human beings made of bark or who have skin and internals akin to that of a pumpkin.

Do your own homework on any round you might be willing to stake your life on.
    You owe as much to yourself and to those who may be left to pay for your hospitalization and/or funeral bills.

$0.02 Street

- Janq

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links