A question about ammunition

A question about ammunition

This is a discussion on A question about ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all of you. For 3 weeks ago I ordered online 20 boxes of Federal American Eagle 115gr 9mm FMJ, and it supposed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about ammunition

GM [OP]

Exclamation A question about ammunition

Hello to all of you. For 3 weeks ago I ordered online 20 boxes of Federal American Eagle 115gr 9mm FMJ, and it supposed to be shipped November 15th. Today I called the company the check the order status and they told me that the shipping date had been changed to December 15th. At the same time they said that they could substitute the Federal ammo with MFS 115gr FMJ made in Hungary. I do not know that ammo at all and I do not want to get bad stuffs. I wonder if any of you have experience about this ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by GM; November 6th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Same price? Lower? Still Federal?

and who was the seller?

I'm not familiar with MFS. I think I'd wait for the Federal stuff.

I'm sure someone will be along with better info. Meanwhile, try to do a search on the manufacturer.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member

Bait and switch? CC dispute issue

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Hello to all of you. For 3 weeks ago I ordered online 20 boxes of Federal American Eagle 115gr 9mm FMJ, and it supposed to be shipped November 15th. Today I called the company the check the order status and they told me that the shipping date had been changed to December 15th. At the same time they said that they could substitute the Federal ammo with MFS 115gr FMJ made in Hungary. I do not know that ammo at all and I do not want to get bad stuffs. I wonder if any of you have experience about this ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Bait and switch?

When I was still working for Uncle we were prohibited from using the
    Purchase Cards with a vendor who would back order; we were required to inform all vendors up front that they were not allowed to accept the order if the stuff wasn't in stock.

In my personal life I try (though companies play games and it isn't always possible to make things go right) to never order on-line or over the phone for back ordered supplies. It seems inevitable that back ordered stuff will never get shipped on time, as promised, and then you have trouble getting your card credited if you cancel the order.

Unless you know you are dealing with a reputable company, I would try to cancel the deal and get my card credited. You ordered Federal. They want to ship you some unbranded stuff no doubt without a price change. They haven't offered to reduce your cost. You still don't know when or if you will get you ammo. Sounds a bit crooked to me.

Credit card companies have a 60 day period after a card is billed after which you can't dispute the charge. Was your card already charged? If so, you might want to ask the company to credit your card now, and if they refuse, start the dispute process. Waiting till December may leave you with no option to get your money back---and perhaps the vendor (if disreputable) is counting on that.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I want to say (in a way) that I've never ordered ammo online because of things like this. But I can't say that, because I have ordered ammo online before, it's just that I went to one of the supporting vendors of this site with good prices and an excellent reputation as far as I'm concerned, and I've ordered more than just ammo through them (TDSUS). Personally, (and in your case), I'd wait for the Federal American Eagle 9mm if you want to versus some cheap surplus ammo they are attempting to push at you now, or cancel the purchase or reverse it if you can. Then go to a better supplier with good reviews from the status quo.
    You should realize that if something like this happened to me, I'd be going absolutely bananas on their derriere with emails, phone calls, search for the top brass with no answer people in between, my credit card company, and everything. When I pay for something, and it's promised, I don't get into the deal for silly games......I can buy those at Wal Mart at a better price. By the way...spread the word about who not to buy from more than you've just done here, and I think the previous poster has it spot on as well.

Please post the company name so others can stay away from these (apparent) bait and switch artists.

Fortunately for me, I can find everything I need locally.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by majorlk View Post
    please post the company name so others can stay away from these (apparent) bait and switch artists.
    agreed 100% ^^^
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I believe under Federal law the seller cannot charge your card until the order is shipped. So you are not out the money, yet. (correct?)
    I am leaving a backorder on Sportsman's Guide because 1. they haven't charged me, and 2. I'm holding their feet to the fire on the good price for .380.
    I've never had a problem with Sportsman's Guide, so I'm staying with them.
    But in your case, 9mm. isn't that rare anymore, so check Wal*Mart for Winchester White Box, and then cancel.

Also, go to Ammoengine.com and see who has what. You may get a better deal if it is stock.

I just looked:
    Speer Lawman Speer Full Metal Jacket 115gr. Full Metal Jacket 1,000rnd. $249.00 $0.25 Wideners

and they claim it's in stock.
    For a few pennies more Cabella's has PMC bronze.

Ammoengine.com is my friend.

As always, check shipping charges before buying, sometimes it's a deal killer.

GM [OP]
    The name of the online store is Cabela’s ( Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. ) and I placed the order by phone; I had read that they were serious. I ordered from them only because I have a hard time finding 115gr 9 mm Federal American Eagle. Furthermore, my ammo stock is almost totally gone, and then I am starting to panic

First they told me that they could substitute the Federal ammo with Tula ammo; I immediately answered “no”. Then they offered the same with MFS ammo, which I do not know. I asked the guy to check how many boxes they had so I could call back later; after a few seconds he answered that they had plenty of them, and that people use that ammo as substitute for Winchester ammo (that sounds totally weird to me). In addition to all this, they did not contact me at all to inform me that the shipping day had been changed to one month later. I will call them again tomorrow and cancel the order; there is nothing that makes sure that they will not do the same again next month.

I am not trying to influence anyone concerning his/hers attitude toward this company; I just wanted to tell you about what happened so you are aware of it. After speaking with them tomorrow I will post a follow up.
    Fortunately I could find Remington UMC metal case and Fiocchi in stock. I have tried Remington before and it was good, but I do not know Fiocchi. Does any of you have any experience about Fiocchi, and in that case which one do you prefer? The Remington is $1.60 more per box (50 rounds).

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Ammo, Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, 9mm Ammo, Military Surplus is a great online site. They have a pretty good selection 9mm FMJ's. Our local Wal-Marts are still short on 9mm, but doing well with .40cal.
    NRA Life Member

Normally I'd agree about the bait n switch. But Cabelas is a reputable company and they do try hard to fill all of there orders. I do a lot of business with them and have had few if any problems.

Many ammo sites do have to back order these days.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ... I have ordered ammo online before, it's just that I went to one of the supporting vendors of this site with good prices and an excellent reputation as far as I'm concerned ...
    Could you please tell the name of the vendor you ordered from?

I have 'supported' one or two gun shops with all of my purchases, and because of that, I have never had a problem getting the ammo I WANT...I may have to wait a bit...but they can find it. I always get a bulk price which is better than on-line with shipping prices. It's just what I have found.

Stay armed...support a local gun shop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have 'supported' one or two gun shops with all of my purchases ...
    You are totally right, that is the way to go. However, I moved to FL for not so long time ago, and for that reason I do not have yet a specific store where to make my purchases. To get my last handgun I had to drive almost one hour away, because the stores from my area could not get it.

I retract my Bait and Switch comment.

I have bought from Cabela's for quite a while and have never had a problem, but then again, I don't buy ammo online; I buy from the locally. I do trust them as an good company to buy from.

I see the ammo in question is a new item in their catalog, although I didn't see any of it on the shelves at my local store this week - then again, I wasn't looking for it. Fortunately, around here ammo is not an especially scarce commodity. Cabela's shelves were full, as are the larger local gun stores. One has about 50k of 115g Speer Lawman for $12/box. Last month the same store had over 150k of 115g Blazer Brass for $10/box

I doubt a reputable company like Cabela's would import/sell crap ammo.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links