FN 5.7mm

This is a discussion on FN 5.7mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the more credible arguments against 5.7mm was a lack of any real world shooting data for that caliber against real live breathing humans. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN 5.7mm

FN 5.7mm

One of the more credible arguments against 5.7mm was a lack of any real world shooting data for that caliber against real live breathing humans.

The FN 5.7 was "the" handgun in the recent Ft Hood tragedy.

In the hands of an apparent gun tyro, he was able to neutralize 40+ people in a short amount of time. And we are not talking average civilians that may not know what to do but soldiers that are used to bullets flying past them.

Please keep the flames to minimum. A tragedy is a tragedy I just wanted to look at the "how did he do it" aspect and learn from it what I could.

Ft. Hood Shootings | The day after the Ft. Hood tragedy | KXAN.com

Law enforcement officials said a 5.7-millimeter pistol used in the Fort Hood shooting rampage was purchased legally at a Texas gun store called "Guns Galore."

Records indicate that Nadil Malik Hasan, 39, bought the FN 5.7 at the store well before the attack that left 13 people dead. The pistol has been dubbed a "cop killer" by those who have tried to stop its use. The most powerful type of ammunition for the gun is available only to law enforcement and military personnel. The ammo has the ability to pierce bulletproof vests, but it is unclear at this time whether the bullets Hasan purchased had that capability.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not gonna comment except to say that I don't believe that calibre is any more effective than others,it comes down to shot placement and the fact any AP qualities wouldn't matter as nobody was wearing body armor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm not gonna comment except to say that I don't believe that calibre is any more effective than others,it comes down to shot placement and the fact any AP qualities wouldn't matter as nobody was wearing body armor
    Well said..... banning one weapon is just the tool to ban all weapons. The 5.7 just happened to be the weapon the moron picked......could as well have been any make, model, or caliber..........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Any determined nut job who stays calm and picks his targets quickly
    can kill and maim many innocent people.It seems once the lady
    police officer came into the picture and exchanged fire hitting BG 4x
    it helped slow him down.Guys like this, I wish the good guys would just
    take them out,one to the head and call it a day.I get the feeling this guy
    and any other killer that kills large numbers of people; the medical community
    wants to study them to see what makes them tick.

I've been wondering what the round of choice was in this tragedy. Now I know.
    Please keep the flames to minimum. A tragedy is a tragedy I just wanted to look at the "how did he do it" aspect and learn from it what I could.
    Same here, and I'm glad someone else launched this boat, because I'm always thinking that my inquiries might seem rather callous to some. It's also perplexing to me how to best defend against this somewhat rabid round, and it may make some choices for good cover obsolete in a way. Something like this really causes one to step back and re-assess what they've thought for a very long time. The only thing evil in a gun is the human behind it. May God save us all. My prayers go out to the victims and their families first and foremost.

VIP Member
    Records indicate that Nadil Malik Hasan, 39, bought the FN 5.7 at the store well before the attack that left 13 people dead.
    This comment makes me wonder if this was something Hasan had been planning for some time.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I believe that in the mind of the shooter, he had to see his fellow soldiers as the enemy. If he was surrounded by the enemy (of his mind) then he planned this and rehearsed it in his mind. His actions were deliberate and with out hesitation, this was pure premeditated mass murder preformed by a individual with a twisted since of righteousness. Murder is murder and no twisted religious code will change it to a righteous act.

ICE, at least in MO, stopped using the 5.7 after a few months b/c they realized that while the round could penetrate vests, in human tissue it created the same wound as an icepick. Disclaimer: heard 2nd hand from someone who talked to a training officer, but it makes sense.

I too was wondering which hand guns he used. I thought maybe a couple M9s.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Check this web site out.

5.7x28mm

A report I heard mentioned Hasan reportedly gave away quite a few personal belongings....plus copies of the Koran....to his neighbors not long before the shootings took place....things that, to me, would be a "red flag" that something wasn't "quite right " with this picture...!!
    Of course, just giving stuff away is not an automatic precursor to the mayhem that ensued...it's just too bad someone wasn't able to "connect-the-dots" to this puzzle sooner....
    If Hasan dies...we'll probably NEVER know what set him off...
    BTW...the convenience store video showing Hasan in Muslim garb....is another real "head-scratcher"...

EW3
    I just now heard some talking head dufus on ABC say this pistol is known as "the cop killer" and "it fires off rounds faster than you can pull the trigger" I kid you not.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

A 22 would be just as effective for murdering unarmed people. The Va. Tech shooter used a Walther 22. We should focus on what we, the good guys, need to use to quickly incapacitate one of these SOB's.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I just now heard some talking head dufus on ABC say this pistol is known as "the cop killer" and "it fires off rounds faster than you can pull the trigger" I kid you not.

Considering ABC's history of anti-gun hysteria, you would expect anything else from them?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Well, when you have a crowded room chock full of 500 unarmed people and you send 100+ bullets flying out in their direction - the law of averages is that some of those people are going to die and some are going to get critically wounded no matter what exact firearm or caliber is used to do the dirty deed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links