.357sig

.357sig

This is a discussion on .357sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I do not want to get into a caliber war. I just want honest feedback on this round. There was a debate between myself ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357sig

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

.357sig

First I do not want to get into a caliber war. I just want honest feedback on this round. There was a debate between myself and another, this guy claims to be a gun nut who "knows all there is to know" about firearms.

The debate about this specific round was that it is worthless and over priced since it is just a 9mm in a .40 shell. His argument is that you can get a 9mm plus P that will do the same damage as the .357sig and cheaper. I do not debate the cost per round, but I tend to think the .357 is going to do more damage.

Ok, this same guy, for home defense is using a 30.06, so I am not sure what to think.

Thoughts from the experts?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

It balistically is an awesome round. Our local SD uses it as their issue round in a G31. The guy sounds like a gun shop Superman. It basically is a .357 Mag in an auto round. Secret Service uses it in their sidearms (p229) Theywere previously using 9mm +P. They take their agents weapons VERY seriously. I will not say it is superduper better than the 9mm +P. It is however a very effective round and will do some damage as far a terminal ballistics go.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well, if you want an experts opinion, I won't bother you with mine, as I am no expert. Instead, here are the words of Massad Ayoob:
    "Created to duplicate the best ballistics of the .357 Magnum revolver in a semiautomatic pistol, the .357 SIG spits a 125-grain jacketed hollow point at 1300 to 1400 feet per second, delivering 500-plus foot-pounds of energy. Departments which have adopted it are delighted with the performance, reporting a high frequency of one-shot stops. The Virginia State Police, who issue the .357 SIG Model P229 pistol, told me that they were particularly pleased with the number of felons who dropped and stopped fighting after receiving non-fatal wounds in non-vital parts of the body."

You can verify this here. Does your buddy know more than Mas and the Virginia State Police, Secret Service, Federal Air Marshals, and Texas Rangers? Because they all like the 357sig enough to carry it over a 9mm.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the 9mm, I like the 9, too! Just saying there are other options that work, at the least, just as well.

Let me say that I don't own a 357 sig, but do own a 9mm. The 357 will be going faster than a 9mm. But, is that extra speed worth it in terms of extra cost and less capacity. Maybe if your needing to shoot through penetration, but for most self defense situations, a 9mm with a well place shot is just as good. If you like the Sig round, then by all means carry it. There is a difference, it's just up to you to decide if it's enough worth bothering with.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Thank you for the replies.

I currently do not own a firearm, I had a .25 and sold it to start a fund to get my new gun. I have ALWAYS had 9mm's but want something different and the .357sig has caught my eye ALOT. I can honestly say I dream about a Glock 32 nearly nightly.

Having said that, I am not set on one round or another, but I wanted some feedback from people with more knowledge than I.

For my own reference, is there alot of over penetration with the .357sig?
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I haven't heard of any over penetration problems. As always, try to find a 357sig to shoot before buying. You're going to perform best when you're comfortable with the gun in your hand! :)

The G32 is my favorite Glock. What a round! You can always get a 9mm conversion barrel and a few G19 mags for cheaper practice shooting.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Conversion barrels are a great point! With most 357sig chambered guns, you can just drop in a 40 S&W barrel and you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Ananael View Post
    Conversion barrels are a great point! With most 357sig chambered guns, you can just drop in a 40 S&W barrel and you're good to go!

AZ Husker The G32 is my favorite Glock. What a round! You can always get a 9mm conversion barrel and a few G19 mags for cheaper practice shooting.
    I was thinking that as well. I am not a .40 fan, but in the event of another ammo shortage or prices jump higher, another caliber would be good.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I own the 229 in 357 sig and love to shoot this gun. It was a sig trade in and saved me a little money. The ammo cost more than nine butis just as pleasant to shoot, plus all you need is a 40 barrel to switch to 40 cal. When I let girls shoot that never have before I start with A 22 then move to this. It really is a sweet shooting round, and firearm.

My 2 Cents.

I carry either a G32 or LCP every day depending on what I wear and where I am going.

IMO, .357Sig is essentially 9mm +p+, except I am using equipment that was specifically designed and rated for the chamber pressure and FPS I am throwing at it.

I love the necked down rounds, NEVER had any feed issues.

As mentioned above, you can easily get 9mm and .40 conversion barrels for the Glocks, or .40 for SIG.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

357 Sig is more powerful than a 9mm. Anyone that disputes that does not understate ballistics. With the improvements being made with bullets you are not under gunned with a 9mm. Being more powerful does not always mean better. If it did we would all be carrying a 28oz 500 S&W. Everything is a compromise. Find one you can live with and live with it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't currently own a .357 Sig, but I have shot and studied the round a little bit.

This is one caliber that lives up to it's intended purpose, which is to duplicate the .357 Magnum luanching a 125 Grain JHP in an autoloading platform. Having fired a lot of .40 S&W and .357 Magnum, I can honestly say that the felt recoil impulse of the Sig round is more pleasing to my hands and wrist. My favorite load, bar none, for defensive usage is the .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP or SJHP (depending upon manufacturer).

The .357 Magnum still has more power, from what I've studied, as well as more versatility, but the .357 Sig is a good round and one I would have no qualms about using. As it is, I'll probably have a .40 S&W Hi Power converted to .357 Sig.

As far as the "Gunshop Rambo" saying that the 9mm +P is the same as the .357 Sig, nope. I find him to be all wet, especially behind the ears. Maybe in the milder Sig loads, when compared to the "hotter" +P+ 9mm, but the 9mm is just breaking into the Sig's territory. There's a lot more there in favor of the .357 Sig, IMHO. The .357 Sig does have some versatility, just not as much as the .357 Magnum Revolver.

Biker

Thank you all for your feedback, I will put it to good use today if we get into the conversation again.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I've been on an indoor range for IDPA shoots, and the noise and blast from the .357 SIG is much greater than any 9mm (shockingly so), and louder/sharper than a .45 ACP. Just from that acecdotal evidence, I am a firm believer that the .357 SIG is much more powerful than any 9x19...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links