62 grn. vs 55 grn.

62 grn. vs 55 grn.

This is a discussion on 62 grn. vs 55 grn. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a RCBS reloading press and everything to load .223 rounds including some 62 grn. Barnes all copper HPs. I really like the ...

Thread: 62 grn. vs 55 grn.

62 grn. vs 55 grn.

I just purchased a RCBS reloading press and everything to load .223 rounds including some 62 grn. Barnes all copper HPs. I really like the idea of running a 62 grn. bullet over a 55 grn. I have a 16" barrel with 1/9 twist. So what is the argument against going with the heavier bullet?
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

You'll hate getting better accuracy (all my 1:9's seem to shoot 62-69gr bullets better than 55's).

Oh. Wait...

There is no good arguement against...go heavy.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The only problem I could see would come from bullet construction. The 1/9 twist is designed for heavier bullets. Thin jacketed varmit bullets don't like it when you spin them to fast. FMJs don't mind though.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

So what is the argument against going with the heavier bullet?
    I'm not a ballistician, but from what I can discern, no argument against the heavier bullets.

I favor 69, 75 and 62 grain bullets in my 16" 1::7 AR. I put them in my order of preference for the rifle I'm shooting. My 1::9 seems to like the 69 and 62 grain bullets better too, but I haven't tried the 75 grain bullets in it yet.

Biker

Depends on bullet construction and what you're doing with it. If deer hunting is the goal heavier is better. If varmint hunting is the goal, lighter should be better - explodes small game, stays inside larger varmints, explodes vs. ricochet when you miss and hit the ground, rock, etc.

My Stag 15 3L had a 1:9" twist bbl. My Savage 12FLV had a 26" heavy bbl, with 1:9" twist. Greatest accuracy came from 55gr Hornady V-Max Moly, though each swallowed 50-68gr rounds decently well. Of course, the 68gr held against wind drift best.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am shooting a Colt HBAR with a 1 in 7 twist factory barrel. I am also loading the 77 grain SMK-HPBT Bullets at 2700 Ft per second.

At 50 yards all I get is one .223 hole, at 100 yards I am getting 1/2 inch or less, at 200 yards I am getting less then 1 1/2 inches.

At our range we have some steel targets set at the 200 yard line. The 55 grain bullets hit the target with a clink and the 77 grain bullets hit the steel target with a "bong"

I seat the 77 grainers so they just clear the magazine. This allows me to load the rounds in the Colt AR-15 Magazines

i shoot 40gr all the way to 80gr in my 1-9, all shot fine, no issues

i have a 16" and 24" 1-9 barrels

The Barnes is a "one piece" bullet so no core to separate from RPM's and blow up unless the barrel is very rough and skives the jacket. The heavier the bullet the greater its SD and usually BC. I would think that bullet would wring the most out of a 16" barrel as to accuracy and lethality to 300 yards.

kpw
    Barnes TSX are all copper, penetrate deep and generally hold together very well. They ain't varmint bullets. My daughter is using the 62 gr. TSX this year for deer. Being all copper, they are longer than same weight lead core bullets so you might want to check the Barnes manual for data.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Not always

From Barnes' website:
    Attached Images

kpw
    Your right, thick jackets and poly tips on A-bonds, B-tips and Siroccos can make them longer. Got any info on .224 bullets?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I was thinking the main use for these bullets would be for some hog hunting. I am using Varget powder and I loaded it to the min. specs. but I wondered since the bullet is pretty long if it compressed the charge. I fired off a couple and they fired just fine so I guess they are safe.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Sponsored Links