Buffalo Bore .380 ammo-100 gr. Hardcast F.N.

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore .380 ammo-100 gr. Hardcast F.N. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have experience with this ammo in there P238, LCP, P-3AT, or similar firearm?...

Thread: Buffalo Bore .380 ammo-100 gr. Hardcast F.N.

Anyone have experience with this ammo in there P238, LCP, P-3AT, or similar firearm?

If you look at P3AT when a round is chambered you will notice that you can see the part of the base of the round between the chamber and the bolt head. I like this because I can know if the weapon is chambered and in battery All that said this may well be the reason this pistol is not intended to be used with hot or +p+ type of ammo. I always use standard pressure ammo and have no problems at all.

The LCP isn't rated for +p ammo, just FYI...

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    The LCP isn't rated for +p ammo, just FYI...

GBK
    No guns are rated for .380ACP +P. Mainly because there is no such thing. My Beretta m1934 sure likes those rounds tho.

-Rouphis

I shoot it in my Sig. 232, and it is my carry ammo in that firearm. I do not shoot it in my Kel Tec. It's pretty hot.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Rouphis View Post
    No guns are rated for .380ACP +P. Mainly because there is no such thing. My Beretta m1934 sure likes those rounds tho.

-Rouphis
    Ya better tell that to CorBon then cause they haven't heard that yet.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I used it in my LCP. Could only shoot a magazine of it though. Very hot load.

Does this round give any expansion, or does it function like an FMJ?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

1. Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We've used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good - we've eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We've also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    4. Keltec---1061 fps

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    1. Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We've used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good - we've eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We've also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the "real world", where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    4. Keltec---1061 fps
    Good information on the ballistics.

Respectfully!

If you survive the encounter, and in your efforts to protect yourself the round you chose does over penetrate and injure or kill an innocent party, you're now gonna face the facts that goes along with CC and self protection with a firearm. Being that you are responsible for every round that comes from your pistol, regardless the reasons, you really should be concerned about over penetration, IMO.

Good point. I may go ahead and purchase a box and do some ballistics test on my own. I'll keep you guys posted. I already planned on doing some ballistic tests on speer gd, corbon dpx /powerball, and remington gs through my p238.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Good information on the ballistics.

Respectfully!

If you survive the encounter, and in your efforts to protect yourself the round you chose does over penetrate and injure or kill an innocent party, you're now gonna face the facts that goes along with CC and self protection with a firearm. Being that you are responsible for every round that comes from your pistol, regardless the reasons, you really should be concerned about over penetration, IMO.

Gold Dots, yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rouphis View Post

-Rouphis
    Ya better tell that to CorBon then cause they haven't heard that yet.
    CorBon can call it whatever it wants, but Rouphis is technically correct because there is no SAAMI pressure designation for .380 other than the standard one.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If the box says +p, or just by the ballistics for the round states it's hotter than the normal pressures for the .380 round. Still don't change the fact that Ruger states NO +p rounds in the LCP. Again, JFYI.

Sponsored Links