Walmart 9mm Hollow Point

This is a discussion on Walmart 9mm Hollow Point within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up several boxes of Winchester 9mm Hollow Point 147 gr at Walmart at $17.97 per box of 50. The are USA9JHP2. How do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart 9mm Hollow Point

Walmart 9mm Hollow Point

I picked up several boxes of Winchester 9mm Hollow Point 147 gr at Walmart at $17.97 per box of 50. The are USA9JHP2.

How do they compare as HD ammo? At 990 fps and 320 ft-lbs they're obviously not up there with the Federal 124 gr Hydra-Shok +P+ I have (1170 fps / 375 ft-lbs), but those are twice as expensive ($35 per box).

I'm more interested in real world HD use, not water jugs or bare gelatin blocks. Shooting through windshields isn't likely, but good expansion after going through heavy winter clothing could matter.

What I carry is the best I can get, but for depth getting twice as many boxes seems a good idea.

2. Remove Ads

147 grain 9x19mm JHP ammunition doesn't have the best track record, but provided you do your part it is probably an OK choice. 990 fps, if it actually makes that out of your gun, may or may not be enough to expand a traditional JHP. The best 147 grain 9x19 loads use premium bullets like the Gold Dot, SXT, etc.

It has been my experience that Wal-Mart carries the cheapest, not necessarily the best, of any given product, including ammunition. YMMV.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I agree. I've got 200 rounds of the good stuff HP. Figure a double-tap each for 100 BG's, then any more BG's will have to be happy with second-rate Walmart HP.

cmb
    Worst case it is a 3/8" fmj if it don't expand, moving at around 700 miles per hour, it will still hurt... shoot straight!

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Figure a double-tap each for 100 BG's, then any more BG's will have to be happy with second-rate Walmart HP.
    Double-Tap Loved that movie.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I agree. I've got 200 rounds of the good stuff HP. Figure a double-tap each for 100 BG's, then any more BG's will have to be happy with second-rate Walmart HP.
    If you have 100 enemies, it may be time for some heavier fire-power.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

It's better than FMJ.

The WWB "Personal Protection" ammo is a pretty baseline JHP, that was cutting edge decades ago.

If it's all you can find or afford, and if your pistol likes 'em OK, like I said...it's better'n ball.

As for performance through clothing...don't expect too much expansion, if any...the bullet just wasn't designed to do that.

Cheaper isn't always better.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

It is what it is. Historically the issue with the heavy 9mm hollow points has been inconsistant expansion due to the lower velocity. The 147grain rounds do much better out of longer barrels. If you have a 9mm carbine it is a perfect match.
    Worst case scenario, it doesn't expand so you are hitting your target with a heavy FMJ. Still better than a pointy stick! Best case it performs exactly as designed and hoped for. It would not be my first choice for every day carry, but I could see having some on hand for the zombie apocolypse.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The stuff is fine. it expands well in water jug tests. Save your money and buy a few boxes. I don't hesitate to carry it in my EDC.

Gives you a chance to readily practice with what you will be carrying...that's gotta be worth something.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Well, I wouldn't volunteer to get shot by it.

I say buy it, shoot it, and see for yourself how it performs. At $18 a box of 50, it might make some nice "back up" ammo if for some reason you ran out of your regular SD ammo.

Then again, it could be . When I was carrying a 9mm, all I ever used for duty and concealed carry in it was 124 grain hydrashocks. I don't have any experience with any other hollowpoints in that caliber.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

It is what it is. It's not Wal mart ammo, it's Winchester ammo. Wal Mart makes dollar bills not ammo!

Winchester RA9147HP 147 grain
    Comments: These looked just like the 147gr whitebox winchester rounds you get at wally. I shot them anyways, and sure enough
    they perform just like the WWB rounds, so they probably are.

from
    Bullet results after firing

VIP Member
    Not my first choice in SD rounds, but I would carry them, if it's what I had...Even if it's a decade old technology, BG's haven't become harder to stop than they were 10 years ago...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Not my first choice in SD rounds, but I would carry them, if it's what I had...Even if it's a decade old technology, BG's haven't become harder to stop than they were 10 years ago...

Decades, plural...and while the criminals haven't become harder to stop, the bullets that we can choose to stop them have become better...

This bullet is from the times when 147gr 9mm was found to be a poor SD choice, as compared to modern 147gr rounds.

Carry what you want, but it's not "just as good as" a 147gr Ranger-T, HST, or Gold Dot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links