Defensive Carry banner

Had a dud round last night at range. Interesting Night.

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  rottkeeper 
#1 ·
I did so much shooting last night I'm sore, which is nice. Took my Glock 27 and my Marlin Model 65 .22 to the range last night.

I decided to shoot up all the remainders of my partial boxes last night before moving on to my main stock. This meant some WWB FMJ, Remington UMC JHP and Atlanta Arms Ammo (which I decided to dispose of instead)

The WWB ran fine as usual and I was down to my last 20 or so of the Remington. I was halfway through the mag and I pull the trigger and get a "CLICK" I waited a little while and then ejected the round. The primer had a perfect pinstrike just like the empty brass. It scares me greatly to think of the disaster that could have occurred had that been my EDC ammo.

I finished out the Remington and started my primary stock ammo. Ran through some Federal Wal-Mart FMJ's with no problem. I then moved onto the first of the Winchester bonded JHP's I ordered through Ammoman. Man those things pack a punch but remained perfectly accurate as they should be. Let a guy I met last night run through a mag. We both agree it might be worth trying out a pinky extension with this hot ammo for faster recovery. Still though, he was accurate too. 8 shots, 3 inch grouping, 25 feet.

Side story - When I got there it looked like Discount Ghetto Gang Night. I have not encountered this before. Literally about 20 thugs crowding the counter and the employees were just in annoyed shock. I got waved to the side and signed in and there were another 10 crowded around 3 lanes. One Glock that I could see and the rest was just junky looking stuff or rentals.

While I was signing in, there was a thug talking to a guy at the counter about a problem with his gun and he was finally able to communicate that it was jammed. I went in and a few minutes later they came inside to the lane next to mine and the range employee emptied the clip into the target as fast as he could. Thug immediately got pissed off because "that was his ends yo" I believe. Somebody got a translation?

Had I not specifically arranged this time out of my busy schedule, I would have left without shooting. Too much inappropriate behavior when dealing with firearms.

On the bright side, I'm glad I did stay. My grandfather's old Marlin .22 is still rockin'. 3" grouping with stock iron sights at 75 feet. 1" grouping at 25 feet. Used CCI Mini Mags. We also had some great chatter at the counter after the thugs cleared out.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would love that option. Unfortunately, Augusta only has one public range and one semi-private range with member hours, but its only open a couple days a week and not during any hours I can get there. The next closest place is over state lines and I just don't want to deal with South Carolina, especially since they don't honor my firearms license. The next after that is a couple hours away. So, no options.

We actually have some family land that I used to shoot on all the time out in the middle of nowhere. Went there a couple months ago and a double-wide had been setup across the road destroying the privacy.

#4 ·
The range where I shoot (only one in Rockland County NY) req1uires a one-time membership fee of $200.00 and a $20.00 range fee each time you shoot.

They will let civilians ahoot there with being a member, but the range fee is $50.00.

Although this is somewhat pricey, it does keep out the "undesirables". And as Rockland County is only 30 miles from NYC, the price is not as unreasonable as it first appears.

Bruce

#5 ·
You never know. That's why we practice often with our ammo and carry piece. Gangsta night isn't something I want to participate in, and I avoid it. Like someone else said, find a club and you won't encounter much of that. May be easier said than done, but that's my advice. In my opinion, your night at the range was just another sampling of society in general, and you shouldn't need to resort to stereotyping of those less educated in the ways or unwilling to pursue them. Granted, most of us are taken aback now and then as to what's out there, or who's driving the same road we are. It's part of life that won't go away, and we either deal with it in our own way, or get out of the mess. Rest assured, the real "gangstas" won't be going to a range to practice. They just usually walk or drive down the street and take it out on the unsuspecting, innocent or not. Some of those you've encountered may not have had the formal education some of us have, and some of them more than likely can't afford much more than a pawn shop pistol. I haven't made conversation with many "thugs" even though I've see some perusing the wares at my local gun shop(s). In the back of my mind I'm thinking that I might just be the one to better educate them in their thinking....but who am I to judge what they need or should have? Then like some of us......I'm thinking I don't really want to take the time for it that might very well be wasted. It may go deeper than what I intended originally with this reply, but it's coming up on that time of year when we should show a little bit more of compassion to the rest of the people that walk this earth along with us. I know....I know....being soft isn't easy, but it happens to me every now and then. I'm not going to adopt a "thug" and take them home for Thanksgiving dinner, I'm just going to look at them as less of a "thug" and filter out my prejudices for a few weeks out of the year and let them go about their thugliness in their normal way. It's the gift of giving the way I see it.
+1 on the pinkie extension for your G27. I've kind of been up and down those roads with mine, but they do make a heck of a lot of difference.

#7 ·
I read somewhere (Gun mag, don't remember which one) that they interviewed prisoners convicted of gun-related crimes and found that on average the convicts had "practiced" 26 times a year. The article went on to compare that with most LEO requirements of a twice a year practice.

Think about it, if you're a bad guy, you've got a lot of free time to perfect your art. I would not make the assumption that only good guys practice.

#8 ·
I also shoot at the range that Biomortis is talking about. I wouldn't be too harsh on his assessment. Gangs are a growing problem in the area and really what got my attention to start carrying.

Public ranges in general make me nervous. Definately not the place to let your SA down, and I'm not even talking about thugs. Ever wonder where the novice on the other side of the partition next to you is pointing his gun? :blink:

#9 ·
#10 ·
I would never go to a public range for the reason you stated. I belong to a private club and we have an indoor range also. The best part is you can shoot 24/7 on the indoor range and during daylight hours outdoors.

It may go deeper than what I intended originally with this reply, but it's coming up on that time of year when we should show a little bit more of compassion to the rest of the people that walk this earth along with us. I know....I know....being soft isn't easy, but it happens to me every now and then. I'm not going to adopt a "thug" and take them home for Thanksgiving dinner, I'm just going to look at them as less of a "thug" and filter out my prejudices for a few weeks out of the year and let them go about their thugliness in their normal way. It's the gift of giving the way I see it.
Giving up you prejudices for a few weeks a year is not really a gift to mankind when you carry them around the rest of the year. A thug is a thug no matter what time of year it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.