Reloading cost 9mm vs. 40s&w

This is a discussion on Reloading cost 9mm vs. 40s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I was fixed on getting a 9mm in a XD9sc. My main hunting/shooting buddy (aka father-in-law) is now thinking of getting a new pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading cost 9mm vs. 40s&w

So, I was fixed on getting a 9mm in a XD9sc. My main hunting/shooting buddy (aka father-in-law) is now thinking of getting a new pistol as well. However, he wants a 40. He tells me we'll both get one and get some dies to reload, and it will cost you the same to reload 40s as it will cost for 9mm factory. So I was really set on the 9mm for the cost to shoot, the capacity, quicker follow up shots, and ability to have my wife shoot it.

Anyway, for those who reload how does cost to reload compared to factory in 9 and 40(I'm just interested in reloading practice ammo)?

2nd, if anyone has a compelling reason to get the 40 over the 9, I'd like to hear it (I've researched this quite a bit and don't see enough to sway me, but I like hearing real experience and having others ideas to help me)? Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I'd love to get both a 40 and a 9, as many of you will suggest , but the funds are not going to be there for a long while. Such is life!

The cost will be the same. But for $39.00 you can get another die (RCBS) set from Bass Pro shop online and load both calibers.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

So it will cost the same to buy factory ammo vs. reloading? Obviously the 40 will cost more over the 9 due to using more powder.

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    So it will cost the same to buy factory ammo vs. reloading? Obviously the 40 will cost more over the 9 due to using more powder.
    There is almost 7000 grains of powder per pound. The 9mm typically takes 2 grains less of powder per round than the 40 cal. One pound of powder is about $20.00. I don't think it will break the bank.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Actually it won't cost the same to reload the 9mm as it would the 40 cal.

If your purchasing premade lead, ie bullets, the pieces of lead for the 40 are going to be more expensive than they will be for the 9 mm. Also the 40 will take more powder than the 9mm, so you won't get as many rounds out of a pound of powder with the 40 as you will the 9.

On the low end 1000 pieces of lead for a 9 will cost between 80-85 bucks, and the 40 will run 110 or a bit more per 1000. Again the 40 takes a bit more powder, primers will be the same price, and I am going to assume your going to used saved brass. So 9mm will be 20 to 30 percent cheaper per round if your using purchased lead and not making your own.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Wideners has 9mm for $46 per 1000. 40 Cal $64 per 1000. Get which ever caliber you want. Neither one is going to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    I can reload either 9mm or .40 for around $4.50 a box depending on what I have to pay for primers. However I am casting my own bullets.

Do I save money? NO!
    I just shoot more for the same costs.

THe last time I checked Wal Mart was selling a box of 9mm ammo, when they have it, for $11.27 for a box of 50, .40 S&W was selling for around $16.00 for a box of 50. ( before taxes). This is for Full metal jacketed rounds.

Plus if you reload you don't have to depend on when and If the stores get ammo in.

Getting powder doesn't seem to be a problem. There are 7000 grains of powder in a pound. depending on what powder you use, you will end up using less then 5 grains in either caliber. That will allow you to reload around 1400 rounds min per pound of powder.

I reload .40 S&W at these cost numbers, more or less:

Cast lead bullets from CheyCast.com: seven cents apiece.
    Primers: 2 to 4.5 cents apiece, depending on where and when you bought them.
    Powder: 1.6 cents per cartridge (assuming 4.5 grains per charge, $25 per pound of powder)
    Brass: free
    Labor: free

Max price, then, is 13.1 cents per shot.

In the past year, primers have doubled and powder is up about 25%. Up until last year, I was shooting .40 for under ten cents per shot.

The other big question that comes up often is, "Do you save money by reloading?" Well, yes and no. Reloading is a hobby like any other, where there is always some new gizmo or gadget you just have to have. If you understand that and treat reloading like a hobby, where you expect to spend a certain amount of money on equipment and gadgets, the all is well. If you only reload to shoot a few boxes worth of hunting rifle ammo per year, it would be cheaper to buy factory ammo. If you shoot a decent volume of handgun ammo yearly, it will easily pay for itself in short order.

One more syndrome to avoid: Never buy reloading dies or empty brass for a cartridge for which you do not have a rifle or pistol. Next thing you know, you'll be buying guns just because you have dies or brass. "Hi my name is Fred, and I'm a reloading-holic..."

Also, I second what Beans just posted: reloading handgun ammo won't save you money, but it will allow you to shoot a lot more.

My thanks to all. I reload 22-250, .270, 30-06, so I'm familiar with it. However, I've never reloaded pistol, as of yet. Is it possible to load TMJ at the cost of about .13-.15 per load or are you only going to get there with lead cast bullets? I'm not totally against cast, just looking for the pros and cons from you who are experienced. What differences and things are there to look for are there with shooting cast vs. metal jacket? From reading the newest Lee manual, I'm not concerned about reloading either. Thanks for any input.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My wife asked a similar question: is it cheaper to reload than to buy factory? I shoot a .45 ACP and (when I was buying WWB) was paying $33 per 100 rounds. I buy Oregon Trail's Laser-Cast bullets - 500 230-grain round nose for $60 (200 grain RN is $55). Primers are $3.99 per 100. I've got the brass and powder (Titegroup) is around $20 per pound. My load (870 fps) is 5.0 grains of Titegroup and I get 1,400 rounds (7,000 grains/5) per $20 bottle of powder. The bottom line is that once you have your equipment (Lee 4-hole Turret press; Lee dies, shell holder all for less than $150) the cost for .45 ACP is around $11 per 100 rounds. That's significantly less than the $33 I was paying. I can still get my components but I am having a hard time finding WWB or affordable factory .45 anywhere.

If you are inclined, Sportsman's Warehouse has Hornady XTP 230 JHP's at $27 per 100 (185's are slightly less). The .40 and 9mm is even less, though you'll use a little more powder the .45. The math still works in your favor. I've got some JHP, some FMJ and some hard cast lead from Oregon Trail (10%, 60%, 30%). Good luck!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

ntg,

I split the differnce and use plated bullets. They are cheaper than FMJ, but if you load them right you don't have to worry about lead fouling.

The prices I listed ealier were for plated bullets either Rainer or Berry's.

Breaking it down like this for the 9mm.

85 bucks for 1000 pieces of lead is 8.5 cents
    40 bucks for 1000 primers is 4 cents
    130 bucks for 8 lbs of powder is about 1 cent
    Brass save it and its free.

So that is 13.5 cents or there abouts or 6.75 per 50

40 is going to be like this

110 for 1000 pieces of lead so 11 cents
    Primers are going to be the same cost of 4 cents
    Powder is going to be about 1.5 cents per
    Brass reuse it as well

So 40 should be about 16.5 cents per or 8.25 per 50.

I am basing this on using plated bullets and IMR 700x powder. Primers really should not be 40 bucks per thousand but that is what I paid earlier this year when they were getting in short supply. I bought about 8000 of them to hopefully hold me through the shortage.

Note: I try to purchase my stuff locally so I don't have to pay the hazmat fees that are charged when ordering on line. If your going to order a whole bunch of stuff you can order online and come out better even paying the $25 hazmat fee for powder or primers. Lead can eat you up getting it shipped so be careful when ordering and see if the price includes shipping or if that is going to be tacked on. Lead I will order online most of the time.

I hope this helps. IMO, reloading is definately worth it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Farron - what brand of plated do you use? I've heard about Berry but never used them (and they are available in Albuquerque!). I've never had lead fouling issues with Laser-Cast (hardened w/ silver and other goodies), but am always open for recommendations!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Farron- thanks for the info. I like the idea of Laser-Cast if it doesn't foul like you say sniper58...thanks for the info.

About Berry's - Cabela's has Berry 155g .40 for $23/250 and 124g 9mm for $21/250. Note that is a $5 price DROP from last week!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sniper,

In the past I have used Rainier, but next time I order I might try some Berry's. With Berry's you can order straight from the company not a third party.

I will use laser cast as well with my .357, 44-40, or 44 mag, I just have never choosen to use them in any of the semi automatics. I do like their lead, but depending on the shortages, it can sometimes be as much as plated.

Hopefully the market will settle down by next spring and prices will get back to where they should be.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links