Candid Talk with Wal-Mart Ammo Clerk

This is a discussion on Candid Talk with Wal-Mart Ammo Clerk within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I swing through my closest Wal-Mart in the 2-4am range after working late. This morning though I was getting supplies next door at Lowes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Normally I swing through my closest Wal-Mart in the 2-4am range after working late. This morning though I was getting supplies next door at Lowes and decided to swing in real quick to check the ammo supplies. For the first time this year that I have seen, there was .22LR in stock, and multiple kinds too. Sadly not even .40 was in stock for pistol ammo. Anyways, the on-duty ammo clerk that I had never met was one isle over stocking and I asked her for assistance.

As she is unlocking the cabinet I ask her for 2 packs of the 333rd Winchester plated hollow points, 2 packs of CCI Mini-Mags and 2 packs of the High Velocity CCI Mini-Mags. She does that internal counting thing and I casually say, "Yep, I'm getting my 6 box limit" she replies, "Oh, are you part of the mysterious network that reports whenever we get a shipment?" I played dumb and asked her what she was talking about. "Well, apparently whenever we get a shipment, and I almost always only get a box at a time so its scarce, all these guys show up at once and buy as much as they can. I figured that somebody was calling all their friends when they see we have a new shipment and I figured you were part of it since you knew about the 6 box limit."

So I brought it to her attention, "How often do they show up before you even have it on the shelf?" and the light kind of turned on in her head, "You know, it happens all the time." So I told her most likely someone in receiving was doing the calling and she got quite aggravated and said she was going to ask her manager about it since it "Wasn't fair to everyone else" We then talked a little more about different kinds of ammo and she seemed pretty knowledgeable, at least on the products they stock and that was pretty refreshing for being in a Wal-Mart.

I doubt anything will really come of this but it was nice to know that not everyone there is part of a conspiracy.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    Doesn't surprise me that some stores would have a person letting their buddies know when stocks are replenished.

It's no wonder. At our local Super Center, same story. The higher caliber shells, all have little blue tags, attached to the front of the shelves, where there should be boxes of ammo. Probably same story here, someone in receiving is tipping off their buddies, who rush in and buy up the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    It's no wonder. At our local Super Center, same story. The higher caliber shells, all have little blue tags, attached to the front of the shelves, where there should be boxes of ammo. Probably same story here, someone in receiving is tipping off their buddies, who rush in and buy up the stock.
    Sounds very plausible. I wouldn't even doubt if ranges were giving a small kickback to the folks in receiving when they get the tip off.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

It's been over a year since Wal-Mart has had ammo in our store. I gave up on them months ago. I buy everything on line now. If there is a limit it's usually 20 boxes. I find what I want, not take what I can get, and prices aren't that far out either. Even with shipping costs I can't complain under the circumstances.

Here in Central Texas our WMarts (5within driving range) tend to have 9mm wwb and I have found 380 at times. 22LR is in very short supply as is most other pistol ammo that WMart stocks.

It's called 'capitalism'...and it works for me.
    I would love to sell a product that people would make a 'calling list' for delivery dates. That's life...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The last time I have been able to buy ammo from wal mart was about a year ago. I bought some of the blazer brass for .40 CAL and the darn thing only had a half a load in a shell. When I shot it off darn thing plugged the gun, and ejected hot powder in my face. Good thing I was waring my safety shields. I was done shooting and had to go home and take a rod to knock the led out of the barrel! No damage was done, but only my safety shields were done for, and the right side of my face was burned. I suggest going on line and buying Winchesters from their site. You will get the ammo you order without worrying about them not having any in stock. The only thing those stores are good for is .22 ammo 9MM Lugger, and Shot Gun Shells.

I was in Gander Mountain the other day and they had tons of ammo. Probably because they were asking $19.95 for 9mm hardball. They had most calibers stocked. I just don't need ammo badly enough to pay there price.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    I was in Gander Mountain the other day and they had tons of ammo. Probably because they were asking $19.95 for 9mm hardball. They had most calibers stocked. I just don't need ammo badly enough to pay there price.
    Around here Gander has 9mm $14-15 and .45acp $24-29 per box.
    Not great, but still better than range prices if you are desperate.

Local WW has not had ammo since the summer. Go figure.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

When I was in Texas I stopped at 3 Adcamady Sports and picked up 5 boxes (max limit)of 100 count (Had all execpt 380) and 3 WW at picked up 3 boxes of 50 count of WWB 9mm. I picked up a shipping box at the last WW and shipped all the ammo home for $17.00. Oh happy day. I charged so much ammo. American Express asked to speak to me to double check the charges. They thought somebody got ahold of my credit card.

Distinguished Member
    The clerks at 2 of my local WM's call me when they get ammo in. I didn't ask them to, they offered. It saves me alot of running around on wild goose chases. I am almost stocked up now in 9mm, 40 and 45 WWB.

We don't have a limit. So it just gets bought up as soon as it goes on the shelf because just about everyone I know likes to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    That's one reason I don't go to Gander Mountain any more.

grander mountain is priced to high. i stopped in today at the athens tennessee wal mart and they had about ten boxes total behind the counter. mix of pistol, rifle and shotgun. just poor, real poor.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links