Non lethal 45 acp? I have dog problems

This is a discussion on Non lethal 45 acp? I have dog problems within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay so these dogs keep getting into my trash. They have some neck tags on their collars but I cant get close enough to gather ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non lethal 45 acp? I have dog problems

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Okay so these dogs keep getting into my trash. They have some neck tags on their collars but I cant get close enough to gather the owners information.

I am sick of it .. 1.5 months now off and on and they keep doing it.

I am going to either kill them or get some non lethal ammo. I would prefer the non lethal method.

I do not wanna shoot 12 ga bean bag at them cause it might kill them.

I want to atleast give them a chance to realize pain and then stay home with little kids or whatever loves them before resorting to death penalty.

Is there any non lethal ammo that will work in my 1911?

If it continues to be a problem after I shoot them with rubber rounds or whatever you recommend I am going to load some Hornady HP 200 grain +p and rid my self of this issue.

Thanks in advance.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Bear spray ? (mace).

I'd find a better way to secure the trash cans like a small wooden fence around them.
    In my neck of the woods they arrest people for shooting (killing) dogs and put there mug on the evening news.

Yupp im going to shoot them.

Im tired of them. And they growl and me and my wife when I go out there to shove them off..

Oh I forgot to mention that.

Oh and it is not illegal to kill them here.

You have no idea what my property looks like or what it would cost to put a fence around them.

I also own my own dogs whom I fear would be attacked if I let them out unattended one day. They are small and quite defenseless against these larger dogs.

It is also a pack of about 2-3 on avg.

If you do not have anything constructive to say then dont even say anything at all.

Thank you

Respectfully
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Report it to animal control. If this is not an option, try something else like putting your trash behind a fence, where it's inaccessible. Other than that, a pellet rifle, or a 22lr with bird shot might be an option. It's hard to take out one's frustrations on an animal just because the owner doesn't care for them. Creatures of nature with natural tendencies, should be much easily forgiven because they only do what is natural for them. I've been there, lived out in the county and I'm gonna do it again. Nuisance animals are fair game there, but my conscience seems to weigh in their favor over any human predator, because I know they act without reason. That's not to say I haven't downed some after all of my other options have run out.

Sigh ... just like politicians they do not read the bill before voting for crap.

Go back and read my post please.

You will see that I am looking for non lethal methods to put a bruise on them, NOT KILL THEM, NOT MAIME THEM, and I do not want to build a freaking fence on the side of my house to keep them out. I do not want to buy anything else to modify the way I do my business or carry out my trash collection and disposal methods.

I DO NOT want to be responsible for other peoples lack of care for their animals.

But if they snarl at my wife one more time and she tells me they even try to make a move at her I will KILL them.

Animal control is useless. By the time they arrive the dogs would be gone. They are about as useless as depending a police officer to arrive just at the same time a robber is slashing a knife at me to take my wallet.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Yupp im going to shoot them.

Im tired of them. And they growl and me and my wife when I go out there to shove them off..

Oh I forgot to mention that.

Oh and it is not illegal to kill them here.

You have no idea what my property looks like or what it would cost to put a fence around them.

I also own my own dogs whom I fear would be attacked if I let them out unattended one day. They are small and quite defenseless against these larger dogs.

It is also a pack of about 2-3 on avg.

If you do not have anything constructive to say then dont even say anything at all.

Thank you

Respectfully
    That information would have been helpful.
    As for the comment about not saying anything if it's not useful: You take what you get when you post on a forum. You ask for input, you don't get to cherry pick. What you DO with the information is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Report it to animal control. If this is not an option, try something else like putting your trash behind a fence, where it's inaccessible. Other than that, a pellet rifle, or a 22lr with bird shot might be an option. It's hard to take out one's frustrations on an animal just because the owner doesn't care for them. Creatures of nature with natural tendencies, should be much easily forgiven because they only do what is natural for them. I've been there, lived out in the county and I'm gonna do it again. Nuisance animals are fair game there, but my conscience seems to weigh in their favor over any human predator, because I know they act without reason. That's not to say I haven't downed some after all of my other options have run out.
    Given the above I agree with Ram Rod. Morally, I would feel obliged to try to discourage them first, IF and only if that didn't work, and they were a danger to me and mine, would I begin to escalate, but not before trying to get action from authorities.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Administrator
    It's pretty easy to secure your garbage from even large dogs.
    Drill two holes in plastic trash cans and run a rope through the holes and tie it on top of the lid.
    Dogs learn pretty quickly and as soon as they realize that they cannot get into your garbage for a meal they will quit coming around.

You cannot discharge a firearm in Woodstock Georgia anyway.

Woodstock, Georgia.
    Sec. 58-32. Discharging firearms.
    No person shall shoot or fire any firearms such as pistols or shotguns, except law enforcement officers in the execution of their duty and/or persons participating in special events held in accordance with a valid city permit. No firearms shall be pointed toward any person while such firearms are either loaded or unloaded.
    (Code 1989, 11-1-2; Ord. No. 012-2007, 7-9-2007)

VIP Member
    You need to take a chill. Spray bleach on the trash cans/area. When they sniff it they should leave.

I know I'm gonna' get some flack for this, but here goes. It's a "level" thing. As the threat (and irritation) level goes up, so does your response. Start with lemon juice (full strength, 100% natural) in a stout, Super-Soaker type squirt-gun, (fer Pete's sake, leave your .45 in the holster). Aim for the mouth and eyes. Next, (if results aren't immediately forthcoming) move to ammonia in the same weapon and same aim-points. I've never met a dog that wanted TWO tries! It's quiet, it shows your "moderation", and the weapon costs $15-20. I was a long-distance bicyclist for years & I've never seen it fail. Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Please remember that when you post questions on an Internet forum you will always get a diverse assortment of answers.
    Some replies may be helpful and some may not.
    Some may be applicable and some may not.
    Some comments you will appreciate and others you will not.
    That is the reality of the way it always is on any public forum.
    Try not to take it all personally especially if you are not posting the complete scenario in your initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Sigh ... just like politicians they do not read the bill before voting for crap.

Go back and read my post please.

"Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I know I'm gonna' get some flack for this, but here goes. It's a "level" thing. As the threat (and irritation) level goes up, so does your response. Start with lemon juice (full strength, 100% natural) in a stout, Super-Soaker type squirt-gun, (fer Pete's sake, leave your .45 in the holster). Aim for the mouth and eyes. Next, (if results aren't immediately forthcoming) move to ammonia in the same weapon and same aim-points. I've never met a dog that wanted TWO tries! It's quiet, it shows your "moderation", and the weapon costs $15-20. I was a long-distance bicyclist for years & I've never seen it fail. Good Luck!
    Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Please remember that when you post questions on an Internet forum you will always get a diverse assortment of answers.
    Some replies may be helpful and some not.
    Some may be applicable and some may not.
    Some comments you will appreciate and others not.
    That is the reality of the way it always is.
    Try not to take it all personally especially if you are not posting the complete scenario in your initial post.
    Great advice.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I guess when all you have is a hammer every problem is a nail.

In your OP you only state two venues for stopping the dogs, hurting them and killing them. Then you get mad when rational people chastise you for poor choices.
    There are a TON of options to try before hurting or killing an animal.
    Ram Rod is spot on in his post, TheShadow and QKShooter have other viable options also.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Go ahead and shoot them...after you do your gonna wish you went with something like the lemon juice idea. You honestly think you can just shoot dogs down in a residential for eating trash and have no recourse?? Let me know how that works out for you.

I personally would pepper spray them or pull out the airsoft gun. But that's just me. I tend to prefer less drama.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links