Good Defense Round For Snubby..Yes or No?

This is a discussion on Good Defense Round For Snubby..Yes or No? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In both 2in. & 4in. barrel .357 revolvers, I have found that the 125gr. JSP is my most accurate round. This JSP is considered a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Defense Round For Snubby..Yes or No?

Good Defense Round For Snubby..Yes or No?

In both 2in. & 4in. barrel .357 revolvers, I have found that the 125gr. JSP is my most accurate round. This JSP is considered a hunting round and I wouldn't load it for SD in my longer barrel carry gun because it most likely would over penetrate. However, I believe it would be an excellent SD round from a snubby, because, it will have much less velocity as not to over penetrate, but will penetrate deep. It will also mushroom on impact because it's a soft point, creating a bigger hole and nasty wound channel. Agree or disagree?

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Jacketed soft points that are designed for hunting will usually act like a FMJ at lower velocities. I never got one to expand in water and if it doesn't expand in water, it won't expand in anything. You might get some deformation hitting heavy bone but there are much better choices for SD.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Agree with KPW, stick with some form of quality hollow point. I happen to like Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +p for .38, and 125 or 135 grain in .357
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

A round loaded with Gold Dot bullets should work well in either gun. I like the Remington Gold Sabre personally.

The Federal 125 grain SJHP did about 1425 fps from my 4" 681-3 and about 1295 fps from my 2 1/4" SP101. I would imagine that the 125 grain JSP is loaded to about the same velocities. You really don't loose that much velocity in a snubbie. If anything though, I would expect a JSP at about 1300 fps to penetrate slightly more than one at 1425 fps since there is more chance of the faster bullet expanding.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

kpw
    If there is any correlation between expansion and penetration in water or tissue, it was more than twice the penetration and the soft nose of the JSP just smeared a little from a 3" Md. 66. Very un-scientific, I know.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

+1 for the GDs, I'm also partial to the Corbon DPXs, they seem to expand well even at lower velocities.

This is what you need for your short-barrel .357 Magnum. Speer originally formulated a powder that completely burns in a 2" barrel for the .38 Specials carried by the NYPD. This powder is still a "secret sauce" and has not been provided to other ammo manufacturers or reloaders.

Ammo Link:
    Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 357 Mag Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135gr. HP Ammo [23917] - $23.95
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    158 grain LSWCHP in 38 will do just fine thanks....expands to about .55 in water test...yeah, it'll get 'er done.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    158 grain LSWCHP in 38 will do just fine thanks....expands to about .55 in water test...yeah, it'll get 'er done.
    I agree. It is hard to beat 158g lead in a 38 spl. Makes folks leak really bad. High tech is fine, but what works, works.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I use +P Short Barrel Gold Dots myself!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

The new Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo will maximize the effectiveness of your 38 SPL revolver. The powders are flash suppressed so as to not hinder your vision should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

+1 on GD, it never fails!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    In both 2in. & 4in. barrel .357 revolvers, I have found that the 125gr. JSP is my most accurate round. This JSP is considered a hunting round and I wouldn't load it for SD in my longer barrel carry gun because it most likely would over penetrate. However, I believe it would be an excellent SD round from a snubby, because, it will have much less velocity as not to over penetrate, but will penetrate deep. It will also mushroom on impact because it's a soft point, creating a bigger hole and nasty wound channel. Agree or disagree?
    Disagree, in most instances a JSP will perform like FMJ when fired from short barrels.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Jacketed soft points that are designed for hunting will usually act like a FMJ at lower velocities. I never got one to expand in water and if it doesn't expand in water, it won't expand in anything. You might get some deformation hitting heavy bone but there are much better choices for SD.
    To me, shot placement is top priority. Aside from shot placement, what is most important to you in any self defense situation where your life depends on it, penetration or expansion? You can't have both, just one or the other.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links