ballistic tests for Hornady TAP 9mm

This is a discussion on ballistic tests for Hornady TAP 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anybody point me in the right direction to learn more about ballistic tests done with this type of ammo? I'm trying to figure out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: ballistic tests for Hornady TAP 9mm

  1. #1
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162

    ballistic tests for Hornady TAP 9mm

    Can anybody point me in the right direction to learn more about ballistic tests done with this type of ammo?

    I'm trying to figure out how it'd perform as SD carry rounds, compared to the other commonly used defensive ammunition.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162
    nobody's used this ammo?
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

  4. #3
    ntg
    ntg is offline
    Member Array ntg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    446
    I'd be interested too...and to know of their new Critical Defense 9mm ammo as well. Any help anyone?

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Superhouse 15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,055
    I haven't tested any yet, but I did get a few boxes of 124gr +p a while ago. It had a small opening for a hollow point and a very sharp taper to it. I have them packed away as SHTF ammo for my Uzi since they look like they would cycle it well, but base on the size of the holow point I doubt it would open very well or tolerate heavy clothing. Just a SWAG based on looking at it, though.

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I haven't tested any yet, but I did get a few boxes of 124gr +p a while ago. It had a small opening for a hollow point and a very sharp taper to it. I have them packed away as SHTF ammo for my Uzi since they look like they would cycle it well, but base on the size of the holow point I doubt it would open very well or tolerate heavy clothing. Just a SWAG based on looking at it, though.
    Hornaday tap is a fragmenting bullet. Its not suppose to open a hollow point. Its suppose to dump all its energy in the shortest distance of soft tissue as possible.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Hornaday tap is a fragmenting bullet. Its not suppose to open a hollow point. Its suppose to dump all its energy in the shortest distance of soft tissue as possible.
    The deuce it is.

    9mm TAP is a standard JHP; I have some...it looks similar to the old XTP bullet, but with a larger mouth.

    You're perhaps thinking of TAP CQ.

    FWIW--in my backyard ballistics test, a 124gr 9mm TAP punched through a Carhartt vest, a sweatshirt a t-shirt, and fully penetrated two gallon water jugs and into a third with right around .5" expansion.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  9. #8
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162
    That's an awesome document, but no reference to 9mm Luger in there. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Hornaday tap is a fragmenting bullet. Its not suppose to open a hollow point. Its suppose to dump all its energy in the shortest distance of soft tissue as possible.
    Could you elaborate on this? Where can I learn more? (The ones I have look like a regular JHP bullet.)


    Thanks, Cuda! Where I'm located now, thick clothing is not really a concern in terms of hindering ballistic performance.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    PDF reader page 73 and onward.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,301
    Nope; TAP CQ isn't frangible either...

    Hornady : Law Enforcement | Products | 9MM Luger TAP CQ® - 9MM 147 GR TAP CQ®

    That's a plain-ol JHP right there.

    So...yeah. The information saying that 9mm TAP is frangible, well, that's just plain wrong.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The deuce it is.

    9mm TAP is a standard JHP; I have some...it looks similar to the old XTP bullet, but with a larger mouth.

    You're perhaps thinking of TAP CQ.

    FWIW--in my backyard ballistics test, a 124gr 9mm TAP punched through a Carhartt vest, a sweatshirt a t-shirt, and fully penetrated two gallon water jugs and into a third with right around .5" expansion.
    nope the TAP FPD fragments

    He did not specify bullet type.

    the hornaday TAP itself is suppose to be less recoil or something.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    nope the TAP FPD fragments

    He did not specify bullet type.

    the hornaday TAP itself is suppose to be less recoil or something.

    Wrong again.

    9mm TAP/FPD does not fragment any more then the next JHP (I've got several boxes of TAP/FPD). FPD means "For Personal Defense", and it's the same XTP-type bullet for the handguns.

    You may be confusing them with the TAP rifle rounds, which are basically V-Max varmint bullets...and while not frangible, do certainly go to hell and breakfast when they hit someting...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Wrong again.

    9mm TAP/FPD does not fragment any more then the next JHP (I've got several boxes of TAP/FPD). FPD means "For Personal Defense", and it's the same XTP-type bullet for the handguns.

    You may be confusing them with the TAP rifle rounds, which are basically V-Max varmint bullets...and while not frangible, do certainly go to hell and breakfast when they hit someting...
    though similar frangable bullets and fragmenting bullets are 2 different things

    Terminal ballistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    your correct about Hornaday not having a fragmenting bullet for pistol; after reading my source it was indeed the .223 remington TAP that was tested. The .45XTP VS .45TAP I thought about was testing the differences in penetration and muzzle velocity.

    the pistol TAP ammo recoil thing is true though.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southwest, TN
    Posts
    1,246
    Proud NRA member

  16. #15
    Member Array greenLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaver Nation
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    PDF reader page 73 and onward.
    Thanks! (Those results refer to the XTP CQ line, though.)


    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    nope the TAP FPD fragments

    He did not specify bullet type.
    Yeah, sorry about that. It's the TAP FPD I'm wondering about.

    Thanks for y'all's help!
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 10mm ballistic gel?
    By Mr7point62 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
  2. ballistic test 40 cal
    By glockfan23 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM
  3. Make your own Ballistic Gel
    By varob in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
  4. Informal tests: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo
    By Stephen A. Camp in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM

Search tags for this page

9mm hornady tap review
,
hornady 9mm tap reviews
,

hornady tap 9mm

,
hornady tap 9mm 124gr review
,
hornady tap 9mm ballistics
,

hornady tap 9mm review

,
hornady tap 9mm test
,
hornady tap cq 9mm
,
hornady tap cq reviews
,
hornady tap fpd 9mm review
,

hornady tap review

,
hornady xtp 9mm review
Click on a term to search for related topics.