Anyone else alternate projectiles in the same Magazine

This is a discussion on Anyone else alternate projectiles in the same Magazine within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC firearm is a Glock-22. Certain "experts" (who shall remain nameless) said "we/I recommend alternating cartridges in your magazine, such as: Hydrashok, Golden Saber, ...

Thread: Anyone else alternate projectiles in the same Magazine

My EDC firearm is a Glock-22.

Certain "experts" (who shall remain nameless) said "we/I recommend alternating cartridges in your magazine, such as:

Hydrashok, Golden Saber, Hydrashok, Golden Saber, and so on with the last three being FMJ-RN

The "experts" reasoning is that most fire fights happen at very close range and the first shot you want to move the BG BACK and the next round you want penetration......move 'em back, penetration, move 'em back, penetration.

anyone else do this or have any comment? or is this a waste of time?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I do on my BUGs only though.

I want to stop the attack the fastest way possible. That means maximum penetration and tissue damage, blood loss, and CNS trauma. With that being said, I carry 147g Hydrashocks. They have great penetration and expand to about an inch in diameter. I see no need to "move em back." A pistol round isn't going to force someone backwards...just not possible.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

One once said that a human can be the easiest or hardest "animal" to take down! I would assume that means that if the BG is determined he will most likely keep coming till he can physically no longer keep going. Or he can be submissive and stop immediately to avoid further physical damage.

Ammo choice can make a difference but I believe ultimately the key to "knock-down" power lies in the determination of the BG.

But I'm no expert... that's just my opinion
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Quote Originally Posted by G27owner View Post
    One once said that a human can be the easiest or hardest "animal" to take down! I would assume that means that if the BG is determined he will most likely keep coming till he can physically no longer keep going. Or he can be submissive and stop immediately to avoid further physical damage.

Ammo choice can make a difference but I believe ultimately the key to "knock-down" power lies in the determination of the BG.

But I'm no expert... that's just my opinion

excellent observation
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

My mags stay loaded without any alternation...same stuff...every day.
    I see no need to stagger load types.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I don't alternate round types in my mags, either.... I think it's best that the so called, "expert remain nameless"...he doesn't sound like much of an expert to me...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I mix FMJ and JHP in .380 only, due to its "iffy" penetration and expansion. Larger than .380 are all JHP. Wouldn't carry smaller than .380.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son is part of a navy EOD team and he suggested my Gold Dot-Gold Dot-Ball loads. Rational?--if BG ducks behind cover, the Ball give more penetration. But, to each his own (magazine loads, that is).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My son is part of a navy EOD team and he suggested my Gold Dot-Gold Dot-Ball loads. Rational?--if BG ducks behind cover, the Ball give more penetration. But, to each his own (magazine loads, that is).
    A soldier is a lot less likely to have to worry about over penetration (nor does he have a choice in ammo type as far as hollow points are concerned). Also, as unlikely as any of us are to discharge our firearms in anger, we are even less likely to do so in a firefight that requires consideration of shooting someone behind cover. For that matter, shooting someone behind cover opens up all kinds of potential issues.

In a word of one syllable - NO!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    My EDC firearm is a Glock-22.

Certain "experts" (who shall remain nameless) said "we/I recommend alternating cartridges in your magazine, such as:

Hydrashok, Golden Saber, Hydrashok, Golden Saber, and so on with the last three being FMJ-RN

The "experts" reasoning is that most fire fights happen at very close range and the first shot you want to move the BG BACK and the next round you want penetration......move 'em back, penetration, move 'em back, penetration.

anyone else do this or have any comment? or is this a waste of time?
    No bullet is going to "move a bad guy back". Look at the thread where shooting bowling pins is discussed, and see how far a .45 moves a 3.5lb pin...how far do you thnk that'll move a 150 pound--or greater--person?

And a well designed, modern JHP should penetrate deeply enough to do damage to vitals.

Your "expert" is full of it, big time.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    No bullet is going to "move a bad guy back". Look at the thread where shooting bowling pins is discussed, and see how far a .45 moves a 3.5lb pin...how far do you thnk that'll move a 150 pound--or greater--person?

And a well designed, modern JHP should penetrate deeply enough to do damage to vitals.

Your "expert" is full of it, big time.
    well? thats kind of why I asked
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Links